ADVERTISEMENT

Pence: Abortion will end in U.S. 'in our time'

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot

Yet again a man deciding what women do with their bodies and yet again more policy that will send the USA back to the stone age. Should be so proud.

Donkey Trump's fun but Mullah Mike will be a nightmare. Hope we have a GHB/Saddam boxed in solution for Trump.

A Mullah Mike in power will be a world full of rage.

Yet again a man deciding what women do with their bodies and yet again more policy that will send the USA back to the stone age. Should be so proud.

Donkey Trump's fun but Mullah Mike will be a nightmare. Hope we have a GHB/Saddam boxed in solution for Trump.

Sure it will, Mike, sure it will.

Sure it will. All it will take is one of the liberal SCs dying or retiring and Democrats continuing to put ideology above pragmatism. Been predicting that for a while.

Here's the thing. There are issues based on science, like climate change, and there are issues where no one actually knows the truth, like when life actually begins. Democrats act like there's science there when there isn't. That's a losing proposition because it's fundamentally a specious argument. The way to expand the tent is pragmatism on issues science doesn't answer. Ideology is a losing battle for Democrats, because Republicans will always take it into the pigsty.

Barring some sort of disaster or political shift, I really don't think Roe is in danger. There are currently five votes to uphold Roe, and quite honestly, probably six, because I think Roberts will support abortion restrictions around the edges, but won't support flatly overturning precedent in that way. And hell, maybe seven, because who knows what Gorsuch will do in that case?

Anyway, add that to the fact that the Senate is increasingly looking in play for the Dems, and I think there is a very real chance Trump doesn't appoint another justice.

Reactions: sglowrider
Sure it will. All it will take is one of the liberal SCs dying or retiring and Democrats continuing to put ideology above pragmatism. Been predicting that for a while.

Here's the thing. There are issues based on science, like climate change, and there are issues where no one actually knows the truth, like when life actually begins. Democrats act like there's science there when there isn't. That's a losing proposition because it's fundamentally a specious argument. The way to expand the tent is pragmatism on issues science doesn't answer. Ideology is a losing battle for Democrats, because Republicans will always take it into the pigsty.
They can repeal Roe V Wade, which I find very very unlikely. That doesn't mean abortion will end. Surely even Pence can figure that out.

They can repeal Roe V Wade, which I find very very unlikely. That doesn't mean abortion will end. Surely even Pence can figure that out.
Also a good point. Ironically, if you want to end abortion, politicians like Pence are the worst you can support, because there is a limit to how far changes in federal law can go. Rather, better to support politicians who will fight to address the problems that make abortion an attractive option in the first place: unwanted pregnancy, poverty, etc.

Reactions: baileyiu and RBB89
Also a good point. Ironically, if you want to end abortion, politicians like Pence are the worst you can support, because there is a limit to how far changes in federal law can go. Rather, better to support politicians who will fight to address the problems that make abortion an attractive option in the first place: unwanted pregnancy, poverty, etc.

After the election of The Donald, I am not certain about a lot of things anymore. The level of stupidity, ignorance, deviousness or just pure anarchistic anger there is in the system is shocking.

Reactions: Bill4411 and RBB89

Ok. I guess you can blast away at me, but do the women in 97% of all abortions somehow not have the choice to have sex and what to do with their bodies? Or am I missing something?

Ok. I guess you can blast away at me, but do the women in 97% of all abortions somehow not have the choice to have sex and what to do with their bodies? Or am I missing something?

You are missing something. But no worries, I have a lot of things missing too.

Why is that relevant?

Well, the poster said men telling women what to do with their bodies. Did the woman not have control over her body in choosing to have sex and possibly getting pregnant? Having sex does have consequences and risks. Should a person be absolved of responsibility of one's actions by having an abortion, thus destroying a life?

Well, the poster said men telling women what to do with their bodies. Did the woman not have control over her body in choosing to have sex and possibly getting pregnant? Having sex does have consequences and risks. Should a person be absolved of responsibility of one's actions by having an abortion, thus destroying a life?
There's a lot there, but your last four words highlight the problem. If you believe abortion is "destroying a life," then why does her choice in having sex have any relevance?

If abortion is not "destroying a life," then having an abortion is a form of taking responsibility, and should be lauded.

Oh . My. Goodness.

How do you rationalise abortion in cases of rape then? The women were loose or wore titillating clothes?

Every time I read something like this, I go out and send money or try to convince more women to run for office. Holy Handmaid's Tale.

There's a lot there, but your last four words highlight the problem. If you believe abortion is "destroying a life," then why does her choice in having sex have any relevance?

If abortion is not "destroying a life," then having an abortion is a form of taking responsibility, and should be lauded.

Kind of hard to destroy a life without having sex.

How do you rationalise abortion in cases of rape then? The women were loose or wore titillating clothes?

I don't. I understand that is an awful situation and there was no choice.

So let's work together to reduce the 97%.

I assume you're in favor of all the aid required to help mother's or are you one of the hypocrites that believes they can force their will on women and then abandon them?

Last edited:
No. But I understand that there are consequences to having sex and am willing to accept the responsibility of those consequences.
Again, abortion is a form of accepting responsibility. If a woman doesn't think she can properly care for the child, what could be more responsible than aborting it?

Responsibility can't be your objection.

I think you're missing the point. If you think abortion is destroying a life, why does it matter how the life was conceived? Do you think women who are raped should be given a free pass to destroy a life?

I would rather focus on how to reduce total abortions. So let's see if we can work on the non-rape cases and come together to reduce those .

I would rather focus on how to reduce total abortions. So let's see if we can work on the non-rape cases and come together to reduce those .
I agree, but this all started because you made a big deal about a woman having a choice to have sex. That comment you made doesn't logically fit with your apparently opinions about abortion. Don't hide from it. Let's explore this.

No. But I understand that there are consequences to having sex and am willing to accept the responsibility of those consequences.
And I bet you think every other man does too, right?

Again, abortion is a form of accepting responsibility. If a woman doesn't think she can properly care for the child, what could be more responsible than aborting it?

Responsibility can't be your objection.

Putting up for adoption. Look, I've lived through both sides. Had a sister get pregnant but kept her. Now she is a young mom herself. Wife and I had issues conceiving. Was looking to adopt but so costly and so much red tape.

If you think the fetus has special status as a "life," then that circles us back to my original question - why does the fact that sex might be a choice matter? Life is life. It shouldn't matter how it was conceived.

I agree. I don't want to destroy any life. But I would rather focus on trying to reduce the non-rape abortions, which are the overwhelming number of abortions.

Let me ask you. When is the latest an abortion should be able to take place. 12 weeks. How about the day of birth? Or the day after?

I guess. But do women not have control of their own bodies when it comes to having sex?
Not always....there is a big area between rape and a consensual relationship. Women, and particularly young girls, are often strongly pressured in a variety of ways to have sex.

Reactions: Bill4411
I agree. I don't want to destroy any life. But I would rather focus on trying to reduce the non-rape abortions, which are the overwhelming number of abortions.
Okay, that's a reasonable take. It's just not morally compatible with "abortion is murder." If abortion is murder, then it is always murder. Period.

Let me ask you. When is the latest an abortion should be able to take place. 12 weeks. How about the day of birth? Or the day after?
I have no idea. That's a difficult question I wish I could answer, but I can't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT