ADVERTISEMENT

Peegs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hired in April of 2008. Early signing period in November, that class shot, 2009 class. The next class didn't want to hear from IU and any in roads they could make until sanctions were handed down. He was already behind the curve. That next class would be the 2009 class. Why is this hard for you to comprehend? His first shot of any real recruits was 2010, that would be two years after he was hired in terms of the eligible class, to get his guys into the program. I'm sorry if you don't understand classes vs years. The first class was two years out.
We understand that every time you get proven wrong you change your statement...it's your thing

Hired in April of 2008. Early signing period in November, that class shot, 2009 class. The next class didn't want to hear from IU and any in roads they could make until sanctions were handed down. He was already behind the curve. That next class would be the 2009 class. Why is this hard for you to comprehend? His first shot of any real recruits was 2010, that would be two years after he was hired in terms of the eligible class, to get his guys into the program. I'm sorry if you don't understand classes vs years. The first class was two years out.
Thad Matta faced tougher sanctions and it didn't slow him down....he was even able to keep the team together too

You better get Dwayne Wade to change his own biography and his own words then. You've linked an article attributing the words of an assistant coach who said how explosive he is. Nothing from Wade. Not a word, yet in Wade's own words in his own story, he doesn't mention Jeter or Deane at all. He mentions three schools. He specifically mentions Tom Crean. Someone get on the horn and tell Dwayne he is lying or isn't respecting some assistant coach who said he was explosive. Oh wait, even better. Wade's own words that he wasn't even considering Marquette until Tom Crean. Wow, that Deane and Jeter guy must have made some great impression.
I said TC gets credit for closing the deal, but not for discovering him....that would be Deane

Thad Matta faced tougher sanctions and it didn't slow him down....he was even able to keep the team together too

O$U didn't get slowed down? You don't say.

Thad Matta's last three seasons. NIT. NCAA 1st round. NCAA second round. You would have Crean fired for those results. Matta took over a program that had won the Big Ten championship one season removed from him arriving there and a full cupboard. Crean had to restart the program from scratch essentially, with one player returning with all of what, 30 minutes of playing time for the whole season? Let us know when you compare like for like situations.

I said TC gets credit for closing the deal, but not for discovering him....that would be Deane

You again should read Dwayne Wade's own book. Deane didn't discover him at all, or his assistant. The article quoted one of them as saying he was explosive. You think no other college coach knew that? You think he wasn't discovered until some guy named Deane? I guess Dwayne Wade must be lying about his own experience and what coaches discovered him and actually recruited him. Poor Dwayne.

O$U didn't get slowed down? You don't say.

Thad Matta's last three seasons. NIT. NCAA 1st round. NCAA second round. You would have Crean fired for those results. Matta took over a program that had won the Big Ten championship one season removed from him arriving there and a full cupboard. Crean had to restart the program from scratch essentially, with one player returning with all of what, 30 minutes of playing time for the whole season? Let us know when you compare like for like situations.

Lies lies lies

We are talking about when they took over, not the last 3yrs while Mattas suffering health issues

OSU was 1yr removed from a title....and IU had most of a team that was highly ranked the previous year

When TC arrived,, IU had a good core returning and a good recruiting class coming in....unlike Thad/OSU he wasn't able to get those players to buy in. He did try, but he was unsuccessful

This false scenario that TC walked into a depleted team is a lie....the players transferred after he got hired. Crawford didn't leave until June. The team that started the season was not the team he inherited. He screwed up the transition and IU paid the price while he got a raise

Reactions: Kylehornsbyrules
You're counting the 2008 class??

OMG . . . You are too effing funny. I'm probably the biggest Tom Crean critic around, and even I would know that coming aboard 1 months before the Spring signing date the 2008 class would be weak. Not enough time in 30 days.

Overstatement. KU doesn't always get the best kids from Kansas. Nor does UNC and Duke from NC. Simply an overstatement by you.

Spa stated this:

KU gets the best kids from Kansas when they pop up. UNC and Duke get the good NC kids they want.

Now, let's look this over again:

Dean Wade, 4 star from Kansas, chose Kansas State last year. One example.

This Dean Wade? The one who didn't get an offer from Kansas - likely because he was the 173rd best player according to the 247 "composite" rankings you all seem to love. Kansas got Cheick Diallo and Carlton Bragg instead.

That would like Indiana taking Grant Gelon over Bruce Brown or Rawle Alkins . . . OOPS!!

Another example, Bam Adebayo, from North Carolina. Chose Kentucky over UNC or Duke.

UNC has the little academic scandal that has been hanging over them for nearly two years now. If Tom Crean was hindered with the 2008 class (or what was left of it) a month on the job by the impending sanctions from the NCAA, doesn't it stand to reason that the academic scandal MIGHT have hurt UNC?

And Duke? LMFAO!!! You really are clueless, aren't you?

Duke "lost out" on Adebayo, the #2 PF in the 2016 - because they snagged Harry Giles, the NUMBER ONE PF from the class. They also got Marquess Bolden and Jayson Tatum, so I doubt Coach K is crying about his recruting failures . . .

If conference titles weren't elite level successes, why did Bob Knight post them to banners at Assembly Hall? Or did Knight celebrate simply mundane success, too?

EP-150419884.jpg

Figured out the banner thingy yet?

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Overstatement. KU doesn't always get the best kids from Kansas. Nor does UNC and Duke from NC. Simply an overstatement by you. Dean Wade, 4 star from Kansas, chose Kansas State last year. One example.

Another example, Bam Adebayo, from North Carolina. Chose Kentucky over UNC or Duke. Ty Walker, chose Wake Forest. Chris Paul, chose Wake Forest. Rodney Purvis, chose NC State. Terry Whisnant, chose Florida State.

There will always be exceptions. Let's stick to trends.

You trying to tell me the elite coaches in the game wouldn't kill recruiting in Indiana? No, none of those coaches is coming here but we could get next the next big thing. 17 years of coaching and two of his best teams ever couldn't get past the sweet 16. you'll say it's matchups...and the elite coaches will keep going deep regardless.

but here's to a decade of building up to a just-inside-the-top-25 program!

There will always be exceptions. Let's stick to trends.

You trying to tell me the elite coaches in the game wouldn't kill recruiting in Indiana? No, none of those coaches is coming here but we could get next the next big thing. 17 years of coaching and two of his best teams ever couldn't get past the sweet 16. you'll say it's matchups...and the elite coaches will keep going deep regardless.

but here's to a decade of building up to a just-inside-the-top-25 program!
No one is saying that elite coaches would not recruit better but our point is that the elite coaches won't be coming to IU. Even if we make a change it will not automatically change the recruiting landscape since we won't be getting the top tier coaches. I would say that we would hire someone like Mack or A. Miller and they would not just come in here and get whoever they want from Indiana.

No one is saying that elite coaches would not recruit better but our point is that the elite coaches won't be coming to IU. Even if we make a change it will not automatically change the recruiting landscape since we won't be getting the top tier coaches. I would say that we would hire someone like Mack or A. Miller and they would not just come in here and get whoever they want from Indiana.
We understand your negativity in that you always tell people what IU can't do or shouldn't expect to do. Some of us believe more can be accomplished. We already know what you're willing to settle for.

We understand your negativity in that you always tell people what IU can't do or shouldn't expect to do. Some of us believe more can be accomplished. We already know what you're willing to settle for.
So you are saying when we hire Mack or A. Miller they will just come in and out recruit Izzo, coach K or Calapari and get most of the Indiana kids. Also what true elite coach do you see leaving there job to come to save IU and pout us back to being elite. if you think marshal or Stevens is coming then I am pretty sure you will be disappointed. Also I don't see Bennett or Miller from Arizona leaving there jobs to come here.

I hope I am wrong Stevens or Marshall come knocking down the door to coach at IU but I think you guys are leaving in your own fantasy land.

Reactions: cheyennemtnman
So you are saying when we hire Mack or A. Miller they will just come in and out recruit Izzo, coach K or Calapari and get most of the Indiana kids. Also what true elite coach do you see leaving there job to come to save IU and pout us back to being elite. if you think marshal or Stevens is coming then I am pretty sure you will be disappointed. Also I don't see Bennett or Miller from Arizona leaving there jobs to come here.

I hope I am wrong Stevens or Marshall come knocking down the door to coach at IU but I think you guys are leaving in your own fantasy land.
And they call us haters...you sound like a Purdue fan

Reactions: Rakkasan29
And they call us haters...you sound like a Purdue fan
I have asked this question many times when some of you say things like this so I will ask again what elite coach is going to come here. Some have a realistic view of where IU is in the landscape of college basketball where others still are living in the 80's. I hope to be proven wrong and we can bring the best coach we can in here but I just don't think it is as easy as some of you think it would be.

I have asked this question many times when some of you say things like this so I will ask again what elite coach is going to come here. Some have a realistic view of where IU is in the landscape of college basketball where others still are living in the 80's. I hope to be proven wrong and we can bring the best coach we can in here but I just don't think it is as easy as some of you think it would be.
You do this all the time, and it's pointless..

no matter who we name you will say he isn't coming here, even though you don't have foggiest Fing clue one way or the other

You have repeatedly said Marshall won't come here even though you have been shown a direct quote from him saying that he isn't adverse to leaving for the right job...but only for a big job. You dismiss this direct quote for a second hand off the cuff remark by an announcer....and you dismiss it because it goes against your bullcrap

And. Before you or your buddy knowitall says it, yes IU is still a big time job. Recruiting budget, pay scale, location, conference affiliation and fan base make this a big time job

Last edited:
Just an observation . . . this thread's OP is "What the heck happened to peegs?".

The rest of this thread might be a pretty good answer . . . .
Yeah that why he privately asked many of the protagonists to follow him, offering free months to do so....which was violating his contract With rivals

Take this junk somewhere else

Did you really just mention Chris Mack in a post about not being able to recruit the state of Indiana...? Really?

Would that be the same Chris Mack who many believe is in the lead for Scruggs?

Would that be the same Chris Mack who was able to land Yogi's former teammate and Indiana All-Star Trevon Bluiett?

Yeah, sounds like he'd have a real hard time recruiting this state.

Matta out recruited those guys in Indy for years, and he was a former Xavier coach. If he could do it why is it impossible for everyone else?

We aren't looking for better than 3 of the 5 best coaches in the country...we are looking for better than what we've got.

Why is it that TC can recruit over a player and bring in someone that he feels is an upgrade...but if we suggest doing the same thing to him it's blasphemy?

Reactions: ChampsAgain
Did you really just mention Chris Mack in a post about not being able to recruit the state of Indiana...? Really?

Would that be the same Chris Mack who was able to land Yogi's former teammate and Indiana All-Star Trevon Bluiett?

They remind me of TC, they make things too complicated.

One he does not have Scruggs yet so he has one guy that some of the big guys might have been recruiting. He has not have to beat out Izzo or Cal or coach K for any recruits so you have no idea if he would be able to beat out those coaches for top 25 players.

You do this all the time, and it's pointless..

no matter who we name you will say he isn't coming here, even though you don't have foggiest Fing clue one way or the other

You have repeatedly said Marshall won't come here even though you have been shown a direct quote from him saying that he isn't adverse to leaving for the right job...but only for a big job. You dismiss this direct quote for a second hand off the cuff remark by an announcer....and you dismiss it because it goes against your bullcrap

And. Before you or your buddy knowitall says it, yes IU is still a big time job. Recruiting budget, pay scale, location, conference affiliation and fan base make this a big time job
You guys can believe whatever you want and I would love to be proven wrong, so we will have to wait and see what happens.

One he does not have Scruggs yet so he has one guy that some of the big guys might have been recruiting. He has not have to beat out Izzo or Cal or coach K for any recruits so you have no idea if he would be able to beat out those coaches for top 25 players.
We already have a guy that has proven that can't do it...so why not go for someone who might?

You guys can believe whatever you want and I would love to be proven wrong, so we will have to wait and see what happens.
Yet you will still be here everyday pretending that you know that they won't come here...but we will wait and see what happens right? Smh

Matta out recruited those guys in Indy for years, and he was a former Xavier coach. If he could do it why is it impossible for everyone else?

We aren't looking for better than 3 of the 5 best coaches in the country...we are looking for better than what we've got.

Why is it that TC can recruit over a player and bring in someone that he feels is an upgrade...but if we suggest doing the same thing to him it's blasphemy?
I never said it is blasphemy to want better but I don't think many coaches who are better than Crean will come here.

Sounds like you would have been perfectly content to "stick it out" with Lou Watson.

It's a good thing Bill Orwig didn't have your mentality. I mean he didn't have the luxury of knowing who the elite coaches were back then. But he was able to go out and find a "non-elite" one from a little known program at a place like Army, huh?

Remind us all again, how did that turn out?

I never said it is blasphemy to want better but I don't think many coaches who are better than Crean will come here.
We don't need many coaches, we only need one Scott

And you don't have an Fing clue what any of these Gus are truly thinking....all you've got is what they spoon feed the press...and then you sop it up with a biscuit

Sounds like you would have been perfectly content to "stick it out" with Lou Watson.

It's a good thing Bill Orwig didn't have your mentality. I mean he didn't have the luxury of knowing who the elite coaches were back then. But he was able to go out and find a "non-elite" one from a little known program at a place like Army, huh?

Thank you,!!!

good lord it's mind numbing that people think that IU can't do better than a coach who has gotten past the sweet 16 once and has finished below fifth more times than he's finished first

Not content but why trade in a 2014 for a 2016 focus. If you can't get someone better then why make a change just to make a change.

You mean guys like Blackmon who Crean got over Cal or Zeller who we got over Roy Williams.
We didn't get JBjr over Cal, UK took a commitment and filled his spot

You mentioned three coaches, Roy wasn't one of them....and CZ was a long time and several 4/5 star misses since then

We don't need many coaches, we only need one Scott

And you don't have an Fing clue what any of these Gus are truly thinking....all you've got is what they spoon feed the press...and then you sop it up with a biscuit
Just agree to disagree because this gets old. We have had 3 openings since RMK left and we did not have the big time coaches knocking the door down. What makes you think it would change this time. we have had that advantage you talk about the last few times and still did not get anyone great.

Not content but why trade in a 2014 for a 2016 focus. If you can't get someone better then why make a change just to make a change.
You are wrongfully assuming we can't do better and you are basing that on nothing but a want to argue with us

Thank you,!!!

good lord it's mind numbing that people think that IU can't do better than a coach who has gotten past the sweet 16 once and has finished below fifth more times than he's finished first
it is easy for you guys to argue this but you guys can't name anyone who is really available that would be a big upgrade. I am just not willing to fire a coach for someone like A. Miller who might be better but he has not proven to be any better. I probably would for mack because he has had more sustain success.

So he doesn't have Scruggs (who he's recruiting against the elite schools for), but that's somehow proof he wouldn't be able to do it at Indiana? Huh?

Which means he's currently going toe-to-toe with Indiana. Or is your post an admission that Crean isn't one of the "Big guys"? Because in that I would agree.

Sometimes it amazes me that you're even able to put subject and predicate together to form complete sentences.

p.s. Mack has already beaten Crean once. But you knew that or you wouldn't have ignored it. (see Bluiett)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirtsandskins
Just agree to disagree because this gets old. We have had 3 openings since RMK left and we did not have the big time coaches knocking the door down. What makes you think it would change this time. we have had that advantage you talk about the last few times and still did not get anyone great.
We havent had three true openings and Pitino, and Cal both expressed interest during previous searches

We never did a search in 2001, Herbert prevented a true search with KS and TC was during an NCAA investigation....hardly apples to apples

it is easy for you guys to argue this but you guys can't name anyone who is really available that would be a big upgrade. I am just not willing to fire a coach for someone like A. Miller who might be better but he has not proven to be any better. I probably would for mack because he has had more sustain success.
We can't name anyone that will but in your arrogance you get to say who won't? Yeah, that fits your posting history

So he doesn't have Scruggs (who he's recruiting against the elite schools for), but that's somehow proof he wouldn't be able to do at Indiana? Huh?

Which means he's currently going toe-to-toe with Indiana. Or is your post an admission that Crean isn't one of the "Big guys"? Because in that I would agree.

Sometimes it amazes me that you're even able to put subject and predicate together to form complete sentences.

p.s. Mack has already beaten Crean once. But you knew that or you wouldn't have ignored it. (see Bluiett)
Never said Crean was one of the elite coaches and he is not but neither are the coaches that we would get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT