ADVERTISEMENT

Peegs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really were the former athletic administrator you claim to be, you'd already know the answer to those questions. Or you could talk to Lute Olsen, who left sleepy Iowa City when he realized the recruiting bonanza that awaited him in the desert due to the void in SoCal that followed JRW's departure.

A former athletic guy would know,this. Snicker.

That is correct, I do know the answers to those questions which is why I was showing the absurdity of your claim

Reactions: cheyennemtnman
There is no right direction going into year 9 at a blue blood and year 18 of a coaching career. Crean is what he is at this point, and it isn't elite: he isn't even Rick Barnes.

The measuring stick of IU basketball is not the worst stretch in its history, but rather the 20-25 years prior to that. Interesting that you picked the former rather than the latter.

I deal with reality of where he came into the picture, which was during a less than stellar stretch and NCAA sanctions hanging over the program. That is reality, not fantasyland from last century. It doesn't mean this is as high as it goes, but you don't dismiss the realities either to plug in a time era long gone.

I deal with reality of where he came into the picture, which was during a less than stellar stretch and NCAA sanctions hanging over the program. That is reality, not fantasyland from last century. It doesn't mean this is as high as it goes, but you don't dismiss the realities either to plug in a time era long gone.

Did you seriously just bring out the Sampson excuse? That is ancient history and shows you don't think Crean is capable of standing on his own two legs in year 9. Year 9 and there are people making excuses for a coach at a blue blood: dios mio.

IU should have been a consistent contender for Final Fours a long time ago. Crean is a bum that should have been given the boot years ago.

Reactions: ChampsAgain
Did you seriously just bring out the Sampson excuse? That is ancient history and shows you don't think Crean is capable of standing on his own two legs in year 9. Year 9 and there are people making excuses for a coach at a blue blood: dios mio.

IU should have been a consistent contender for Final Fours a long time ago. Crean is a bum that should have been given the boot years ago.
Only if Stevens would come save the day like you thought he was going to do after this year.

Hyperbole much? If Crean is a "bum", I'm pretty sure that makes Coach K just above average.

That is correct, I do know the answers to those questions which is why I was showing the absurdity of your claim
Your post made it clear you had no idea what the answers to those questions were. You clearly didn't even understand the dynamics that gave rise to the migration of that talent to places like Tucson. Banners and displays, displays and banners. Snicker.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Your post made it clear you had no idea what the answers to those questions were. You clearly didn't even understand the dynamics that gave rise to the migration of that talent to places like Tucson. Banners and displays, displays and banners. Snicker.

You have trouble reading then. I've worked in places like Tucson, Lawrence, Bloomington, Spokane, Norman, Stillwater, Urbana, Waco, etc. Note, I said "like" as I have not worked in all of those towns for athletic departments, but some I have. I'm fully aware of how kids arrive in those locations.

Not an excuse. The first two years of recruiting were terrible because kids wouldn't commit before they knew what the NCAA was going to do to the program.

IU hasn't been consistent Final Four contenders since Bob Knight's last 6 years, which was in the last century. This is why I'm dealing with the reality of the 21st century, not the fantasy memories of the 20th.

You asked why Yogi stayed in state...I answered. It was because he wanted to play with Cody.

Again...which member of the previous management team said we would not make the tournament last year? Please be specific.

And Cody chose Crean and Indiana...yes? And when Yogi could have left after his junior season, he chose to stay again.

Go back to December and after the Duke game, look at the comments by posters including some of the moderators that this season was going to bust.

You have trouble reading then. I've worked in places like Tucson, Lawrence, Bloomington, Spokane, Norman, Stillwater, Urbana, Waco, etc. Note, I said "like" as I have not worked in all of those towns for athletic departments, but some I have. I'm fully aware of how kids arrive in those locations.
You held jobs at some of those schools? Which ones? And for which AD's did you work? You're way, way out of your league on this stuff, but I love to watch you keep digging. Snicker, snicker.

You held jobs at some of those schools? Which ones? And for which AD's did you work? You're way, way out of your league on this stuff, but I love to watch you keep digging. Snicker, snicker.

You bore me.

Bob Frederick was one. You want others, look them up yourself. I just gave you a major piece of the puzzle, but you bore me.

And Cody chose Crean and Indiana...yes? And when Yogi could have left after his junior season, he chose to stay again.

Go back to December and after the Duke game, look at the comments by posters including some of the moderators that this season was going to bust.
Again...you asked why Yogi decided to stay in state. The answer was Cody.

Please link a post to anything Peegs, Rabjohns or Weaver said where IU would not make the tournament.

You bore me.

Bob Frederick was one. You want others, look them up yourself. I just gave you a major piece of the puzzle, but you bore me.
I know who various AD's were. Then again, I'm not the one laughably claiming I worked for any of them, then continually failing to provide proof while also revealing little snippets of ignorance that no insider would miss. Snicker.

IU hasn't been consistent Final Four contenders since Bob Knight's last 6 years, which was in the last century.

You understand that this is the problem and that it will never be fixed under Crean?

Instead of performing the mental gymnastics required to be a Settler, why not get rid of the mediocre coach and pursue an elite coach? It's Indiana, it's Indiana. IU should be a consistent Final Four contender: if this isn't happening, then changes and adjustments need to be made.

I know who various AD's were. Then again, I'm not the one laughably claiming I worked for any of them, then continually failing to provide proof while also revealing little snippets of ignorance that no insider would miss. Snicker.

You bore me, but I think you think you are boaring me. There's a difference.

When you work decades in college athletics at various schools and conference offices, you ultimately work for ADs, coaches, etc. That's how it works. Technically you work with coaches, not for. However, most of us that have done this will tell you that often the coaches have a substantial amount of power, so you end up working for them. Whether those in the SID office, compliance, operations, marketing, finance, etc. You do bore me. You're not going to take away decades of work from me just because you want to. Have a blessed and safe evening.

You understand that this is the problem and that it will never be fixed under Crean?

Instead of performing the mental gymnastics required to be a Settler, why not get rid of the mediocre coach and pursue an elite coach? It's Indiana, it's Indiana. IU should be a consistent Final Four contender: if this isn't happening, then changes and adjustments need to be made.

No, I don't buy into that because I cannot predict the future no different than you can. I do know Crean has already been to a Final Four, so when you say never about someone that has already done it, well that is a bizarre answer to me.

IU was never a consistent Final Four contender when a top 5 all time coach was here, so what elite coach are we hiring in your world that will put us there? Define consistent. Define elite.

No, I don't buy into that because I cannot predict the future no different than you can. I do know Crean has already been to a Final Four, so when you say never about someone that has already done it, well that is a bizarre answer to me.

IU was never a consistent Final Four contender when a top 5 all time coach was here, so what elite coach are we hiring in your world that will put us there? Define consistent. Define elite.

When an 18 year record of mediocrity exists, yes, you can predict the future. Mike Davis also went to 1 FF. 1-18 isn't very impressive, especially when you wear your team out before the FF game and lose by 30 to Kansas.

IU was a consistent contender for Final Fours under Knight, what are you talking about? I know one coach who will never get it done here: time to yank him off the mound and pursue a promising or proven coach.

Consistent and elite: see Knight's record in his prime. Check out Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK, Izzo over the past 20-25 years.

When an 18 year record of mediocrity exists, yes, you can predict the future. Mike Davis also went to 1 FF. 1-18 isn't very impressive, especially when you wear your team out before the FF game and lose by 30 to Kansas.

IU was a consistent contender for Final Fours under Knight, what are you talking about? I know one coach who will never get it done here: time to yank him off the mound and pursue a promising or proven coach.

Consistent and elite: see Knight's record in his prime. Check out Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK, Izzo over the past 20-25 years.

Mike Davis took Bob Knight's recruits to the Final Four. Crean took his own recruits at a small school to the Final Four. Davis had to rebuild zero teams. Crean had to rebuild Marquette and Indiana. When you rebuild, it adds losses to your career record and mediocrity, especially if viewing it with an agenda.

Last edited:
Mike Davis took Bob Knight's recruits to the Final Four. Crean took his own recruits at a small school to the Final Four. Davis had to rebuild zero teams. Crean had to rebuild Marquette and Indiana. When you rebuild, it adds losses to your career record and mediocrity, especially if viewing it with an agenda.
Rebuild Marquette from what?

From what looked like a non Tournament team (not NIT either) and one that only had One Sweet 16 the previous 10 years to a Final Four team within his first four years. Only one other coach in their history took them that far.
And he did what from that point on at Marquette?

Crean had to rebuild Marquette

Huh?

Marquette went to the Final Four in 2003.

Crean coached there another 5 seasons after that.

So, was he STILL rebuilding after going to a Final Four? Or, like IU, he had roster management issues that led to wildly inconsistent seasons after any success?

What elite coach is AVAILABLE to come here and rescue us from this mediocrity.

When you work decades in college athletics at various schools and conference offices, you ultimately work for ADs, coaches, etc. That's how it works. Technically you work with coaches, not for. However, most of us that have done this will tell you that often the coaches have a substantial amount of power, so you end up working for them. Whether those in the SID office, compliance, operations, marketing, finance, etc. You do bore me. You're not going to take away decades of work from me just because you want to. Have a blessed and safe evening.
Way too many clues tell us a different story. Snicker.

I would ignore the troll. He has a long history of doing just this. He used to talk about loving to make other posters his "dancing monkeys". He is much more a fan of RMK than IU, but he is mostly a fan of himself. I used to tell him that getting him to commit to an issue was like nailing jello to a tree. On the board he used to post on years ago, he was the second most active poster, right behind a guy who was truly nuts (posted 100's of times a day and could bring a whole board to a screeching halt), and third place wasn't even close.

He has more time than you will ever have, so he can/will keep this up forever, all times of the day. Better to just let I3 bark in the wind.

Reactions: darrin09
Not an excuse. The first two years of recruiting were terrible because kids wouldn't commit before they knew what the NCAA was going to do to the program.

IU hasn't been consistent Final Four contenders since Bob Knight's last 6 years, which was in the last century. This is why I'm dealing with the reality of the 21st century, not the fantasy memories of the 20th.
NCAA sanctions were announced in Nov 08....they weren't waiting two years to find out

You make up more crap than any poster on this site

The same is true of other kids from other parts of the country. Does UCLA get every kid they want from So. Cal? Did Oladipo stay home to play in Maryland? Did Troy Williams pick us over North Carolina, Louisville and Ohio State rather than stay home and play at Virginia? Yes.

You can play your little game all day long if you wish, there are examples that go both ways, but for some reason you refuse to articulate the other side of the coin. The state of Indiana has some very good programs in Butler, IU, Purdue. A healthy percentage of kids aren't going to any of the three schools, but just as many very good players are leaving other states and not staying home to come to play for these schools. Welcome to the 21st century, where TV exists, the internet, airplanes, exposure, and a better chance to get away from corrupting influences of home than ever before.

Embrace it. This isn't Mayberry anymore.

Huh? Look at the rosters of the best programs in the big ten over the last 6 years. Tell me if those kids stuck close to home (in-state or Midwest). Crean would like to get more Indiana kids. He knows the importance. KU gets the best kids from Kansas when they pop up. UNC and Duke get the good NC kids they want.

don't pretend like no kids ever goes to State U anymore. silly.

Shoot, what has he done from that point, period?

Mike Deane laid a lot of the recruiting groundwork for D Wade: without Deane or Wade, Crean would have returned to Izzo's staff a long, long time ago.

Who? Deane?

You guys should read Wade's own biography about his recruitment. I don't see anything about Deane at all. Let me channel my inner Shirts/Skins and TheSpa and provide proof of this claim about Wade's recruitment other than Crean. Straight from the horse's mouth, the man actually fielding the recruiting advances. In other words, Wade's words. Please provide.

NCAA sanctions were announced in Nov 08....they weren't waiting two years to find out

You make up more crap than any poster on this site

Recruiting cycles take 2 years. You start to recruit kids early, so the announcement in 2008 means you are already talking to guys in the 2010 class. You do understand the lead times with most recruits?

Who? Deane?

You guys should read Wade's own biography about his recruitment. I don't see anything about Deane at all. Let me channel my inner Shirts/Skins and TheSpa and provide proof of this claim about Wade's recruitment other than Crean. Straight from the horse's mouth, the man actually fielding the recruiting advances. In other words, Wade's words. Please provide.
Deane and mainly his asst. Robby Jeter discovered Wade. TC gets the credit for sealing the deal

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2005-02-19/sports/0502190049_1_dwyane-all-star-game-wade-s-coach

Unlike you we don't make stuff up

Recruiting cycles take 2 years. You start to recruit kids early, so the announcement in 2008 means you are already talking to guys in the 2010 class. You do understand the lead times with most recruits?
You said that they waited two years to hear from the NCAA, that was a lie

You said that they waited two years to hear from the NCAA, that was a lie
Here is his exact quote:

Now you're trying to change it to this?

The sanctions from the NCAA were handed down November 25, 2008. That's not even halfway thru the junior year of the 2010 class. And you're trying to convince us that wasn't enough time for those kids "to know"?

For a guy who supposedly worked in athletics at various universities - whether as administration, Asst. A.D., SID or the like - your command (or lack thereof) of the subject at hand is fairly stunning.

Deane and mainly his asst. Robby Jeter discovered Wade. TC gets the credit for sealing the deal

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2005-02-19/sports/0502190049_1_dwyane-all-star-game-wade-s-coach

Unlike you we don't make stuff up

You better get Dwayne Wade to change his own biography and his own words then. You've linked an article attributing the words of an assistant coach who said how explosive he is. Nothing from Wade. Not a word, yet in Wade's own words in his own story, he doesn't mention Jeter or Deane at all. He mentions three schools. He specifically mentions Tom Crean. Someone get on the horn and tell Dwayne he is lying or isn't respecting some assistant coach who said he was explosive. Oh wait, even better. Wade's own words that he wasn't even considering Marquette until Tom Crean. Wow, that Deane and Jeter guy must have made some great impression.

Here is his exact quote:

Now you're trying to change it to this?

The sanctions from the NCAA were handed down November 25, 2008. That's not even halfway thru the junior year of the 2010 class. And you're trying to convince us that wasn't enough time for those kids "to know"?

For a guy who supposedly worked in athletics at various universities - whether as administration, Asst. A.D., SID or the like - your command (or lack thereof) of the subject at hand is fairly stunning.

Hired in April of 2008. Early signing period in November, that class shot, 2009 class. The next class didn't want to hear from IU and any in roads they could make until sanctions were handed down. He was already behind the curve. That next class would be the 2009 class. Why is this hard for you to comprehend? His first shot of any real recruits was 2010, that would be two years after he was hired in terms of the eligible class, to get his guys into the program. I'm sorry if you don't understand classes vs years. The first class was two years out.

Huh? Look at the rosters of the best programs in the big ten over the last 6 years. Tell me if those kids stuck close to home (in-state or Midwest). Crean would like to get more Indiana kids. He knows the importance. KU gets the best kids from Kansas when they pop up. UNC and Duke get the good NC kids they want.

don't pretend like no kids ever goes to State U anymore. silly.

Overstatement. KU doesn't always get the best kids from Kansas. Nor does UNC and Duke from NC. Simply an overstatement by you. Dean Wade, 4 star from Kansas, chose Kansas State last year. One example.

Another example, Bam Adebayo, from North Carolina. Chose Kentucky over UNC or Duke. Ty Walker, chose Wake Forest. Chris Paul, chose Wake Forest. Rodney Purvis, chose NC State. Terry Whisnant, chose Florida State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT