ADVERTISEMENT

Partisan views regarding the "media"

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
"Public trust in the media is at an all-time low. Results from a major new Knight-Gallup report can help us understand why.
As the debates over trust in media, misinformation and control over information rage, a new Knight-Gallup survey of more than 19,000 U.S. adults shows that Americans believe that the media have an important role to play in our democracy — yet they don’t see that role being fulfilled."

Pretty interesting survey that I imagine will confirm individual bias.Not surprised that Dems on the whole feel more positive towards the media,as that basically confirms my own views.I don't see the media as either "unfair" or particularly liberal.But I do make the distinction between opinion shows on cable and actual news like what I get if I tune into a network news show.

In fact when there is a major news story that doesn't necessarily monopolize network coverage,I'll sometimes purposely switch to cable because I'm interested in the opinionated aspect the network news forum doesn't usually provide.But I know going in that if I switch to MSNBC or Fox I'm getting opinion,and that's what I'm actively interested in obtaining at that point in time.

I used the term "individual bias" and that's exactly what I experienced in reading thru the article.Basically,some of the positions taken by folks who self-identified as Republicans I found perplexing.I was surprised,if not shocked by some of the issues they raised.

On the other hand,I found myself agreeing with a lot of the counterpoints that people who called themselves Democrats voiced.An illuminating example is the concept of "fake news",and how political opposites are prone to define it.

For me,the concept involves sites like infowars,breitbart,the opinion folks on Fox-people who I feel deal with an alternate,if not fake,reality.Conspiracy theorists,people who see the "dark state" around every corner-people I'd consider bizarre,in a political sense.

So the idea that 40% of polled Pubs agree with the bolded part below,is a concept that (imo) borders on shocking.No wonder we're so far apart.In fact I'm curious if anyone here who adheres to this can clarify why they would feel this way...

"A majority of Americans believe people knowingly portraying false information as if it were true “always” constitutes fake news. Forty percent of Republicans say accurate news stories that cast a politician or political group in a negative light should “always” be considered fake news."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT