ADVERTISEMENT

Part 2, "Just The Facts Ma'am", (Including Some Actual Facts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
as of 8/21/2020, there have been 3001 covid deaths in Indiana.

12 of those covid deaths in Indiana to date were under 30 yrs old.

33 covid deaths in Indiana under 40 yrs old.

84 total covid deaths under 50 yrs old.

(never see that on the news, do you).

what the other heath factors were of those people, i know not.

the last thing we need to do is factor in actual hard data in our strategy to deal with this.

one size fits all is a much smarter strategy, especially when herd immunity, either by infection or vaccine, may be the only way out.

just because almost half the population is relatively immune to covid killing them, doesn't mean that we should at least consider factoring in that totally insignificant piece of worthless trivia into any strategy on dealing with covid, a disease that we see herd immunity by infection or vaccine as our overwhelmingly most likely way out.

surely we wouldn't rethink how nursing homes were handled, just because of things we know now that we didn't know then.

why would we ever do that?????? rethinking is for pussies who don't have the fortitude to stay intractable.

only total idiots base their strategy on known data, and much better to stick with the plan devised before we had any data, and not alter it just because we now have this data..

on a side note, Indianapolis alone has had over 110 murders so far this yr, and i'm willing to bet way more than 12 of them were people under 30, and way more than 33 were people under 40.

statistically, anyone in Indiana under 50 yrs old is more likely to be murdered than die of covid, but we should never factor in actual data when developing plans on how to best deal with this..

no idea what i was thinking on that "2 universes" insanity i was babbling about.

those thinking my numbers are off, if incorrect i hope to be corrected, as this isn't something we need false data on.

https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/#home-text-content-container

Last edited:

the last thing we need to do is factor in actual hard data in our strategy to deal with this.

one size fits all is a much smarter strategy, especially when herd immunity, either by infection or vaccine, may be the only way out.

just because almost half the population is relatively immune to covid killing them, doesn't mean that we should at least consider factoring in that totally insignificant piece of worthless trivia into any strategy on dealing with covid, a disease that we see herd immunity by infection or vaccine as our overwhelmingly most likely way out.

surely we wouldn't rethink how nursing homes were handled, just because of things we know now that we didn't know then.

why would we ever do that?????? rethinking is for pussies who don't have the fortitude to stay intractable.

only total idiots base their strategy on known data, and much better to stick with the plan devised before we had any data, and not alter it just because we now have this data..

on a side note, Indianapolis alone has had over 110 murders so far this yr, and i'm willing to bet way more than 12 of them were people under 30, and way more than 33 were people under 40.

statistically, anyone in Indiana under 50 yrs old is more likely to be murdered than die of covid, but we should never factor in actual data when developing plans on how to best deal with this..

no idea what i was thinking on that "2 universes" insanity i was babbling about.

those thinking my numbers are off, if incorrect i hope to be corrected, as this isn't something we need false data on.

Seriously, why would you resurrect this here? Take it to the Cooler. It's going to end up there anyway.

The standard response to the “death rate among younger age groups” argument you made is (1) healthy, young, asymptomatic folks still spread it, which will eventually kill older, more vulnerable folks, and (2) there is not enough known yet about newly-revealed non-lethal medical conditions being seen in even young, asymptomatic patients.

It then becomes a vicious politicized argument to the point where discussion is not possible. People just insult each other.

Until the medicals can stop guessing and inform us better, there is zero chance that elected officials and their appointees will take risks.

Back to football ... there is now no negative eligibility consequence to players staying, so opting out is based only on not wanting to risk covid generally or any injuries which damage an NFL attempt. Fewer spots for high school seniors to get scholarships.

Is it a good time to go back to freshman ineligibility? Use it to “fix” the glut? Phases?

I’ve seen zero forward thinking from any leaders.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The standard response to the “death rate among younger age groups” argument you made is (1) healthy, young, asymptomatic folks still spread it, which will eventually kill older, more vulnerable folks, and (2) there is not enough known yet about newly-revealed non-lethal medical conditions being seen in even young, asymptomatic patients.

It then becomes a vicious politicized argument to the point where discussion is not possible. People just insult each other.

Until the medicals can stop guessing and inform us better, there is zero chance that elected officials and their appointees will take risks.

Back to football ... there is now no negative eligibility consequence to players staying, so opting out is based only on not wanting to risk covid generally or any injuries which damage an NFL attempt. Fewer spots for high school seniors to get scholarships.

Is it a good time to go back to freshman ineligibility? Use it to “fix” the glut? Phases?

I’ve seen zero forward thinking from any leaders.
It's interesting all the attention is on College football.

Meantime, Indiana HS football started the season last Friday. And my nephew's travel baseball team played in a tournament in Pittsburg, PA (he lives in Lafayette, IN). His sister's softball team has been playing all summer.

My granddaughter has been going to a NC daycare since last May.

Yet, all the hand-wringing is over college football.

I guess the lesson is, if you don't make money off sports, it's OK to participate.

Meantime, Indiana HS football started the season last Friday. And my nephew's travel baseball team played in a tournament in Pittsburg, PA (he lives in Lafayette, IN). His sister's softball team has been playing all summer.

I guess the lesson is, if you don't make money off sports, it's OK to participate.
Anybody get Covid while your granddaughter was at the daycare ?

this thread is, "just the fact's ma'am", and facts were given.

if you can't see the facts put forth are relevant to way more than just college football, that's on you.

Last edited:
Anybody get Covid while your granddaughter was at the daycare ?
One of the workers did about 6 weeks ago. Not in my ganddaughter's class, but my Doctor's son was in the class.

They steralized the classroom, kept the kids out a few days in that classroom while they were tested, and then that classroom opened again.

No sign of the virus there since then.

The worker (one of the 'teachers' of the 5 year old group) was young, so she didn't suffer any ill effects. I think she displayed symptoms, and wasn't allowed back until she had a test. When she tested positive, she had to stay out until she tested negative.

But there wasn't any panic and the proper protocol was followed, so it wasn't a big deal for the parents or kids. I suppose the biggest danger was to people like me - grandparents with other issues. But no report of any issues from it all, thankfully.

Here's an article that seems to add a few facts...

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-survivors-plagued-by-long-term-ailments

There still seems to be a lot that we don't know about this particular viruses long term effects...

"just the facts Ma'am" remember.

give me hard numbers, not anecdotal stories.

and read the disclaimer warning label on your meds, which say studies show you will possibly die a slow horrible death after your dck and all your other extremities fall off if you take this pill, but you take the pill anyway due to there not being more hard data and numbers included that would cause you not to.

that said, having the hard numbers on all the after effects, and to what extent they differ from flu and other viruses would be great, and absolutely needed to have a fully informed debate on everything.

and how those same effects would be significantly different if you acquire the bug from a vaccine instead of spread.

i would absolutely love those numbers, all of them.

let us know when you have them.

until then, we need to be skeptical as to why the anecdotal stories are just that, and don't include enough hard data to make any kind of informed evaluation of the stories.

again, i would love the data, and we need the data.

if we're not getting the data, we need to ask why we aren't.

possibly the same reason the media doesn't give the hard age data on the deaths, nor does the govt make that known if you don't go digging for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT