ADVERTISEMENT

Panic Attack

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Langhorne Slim just released Side A of his new album all written during the pandemic. I feel I can relate to this song...don't worry fellow AOTFers Eppy is alright. Speaking of Panic attacks, I don't know if I shared about two years ago or so I experienced my first true panic attack. It occured while visiting the onle submarine museum located in NYC. I totally freaked out and got clausterphobic and felt I couldn't get a clean breath of fresh air. I found myself trying to rush through with only being able to go forward and not backtracking...scared the shit out of me. I never would have survived the Navy. Well for about 6 months after that I was having panic attack everytime I felt myself somewhat short of breath. It started during my workouts at the gym, I couldn't do cardio without freaking out and feeling like I might die, then it would happen in a stuffy room or in my car in the middle of winter. I said enough of this shit and went to get help....after a couple sessions I was able to teach myself to calm the **** down and realize it's all in my head. Thank God I got over it before the mask wearing of today! I never would have been able to survive. Long story short, panic attacks suck and I'm thankful I recovered from that hell. If any of you deal with em' I sympathize with you and happy to talk off the air....

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Langhorne Slim just released Side A of his new album all written during the pandemic. I feel I can relate to this song...don't worry fellow AOTFers Eppy is alright. Speaking of Panic attacks, I don't know if I shared about two years ago or so I experienced my first true panic attack. It occured while visiting the onle submarine museum located in NYC. I totally freaked out and got clausterphobic and felt I couldn't get a clean breath of fresh air. I found myself trying to rush through with only being able to go forward and not backtracking...scared the shit out of me. I never would have survived the Navy. Well for about 6 months after that I was having panic attack everytime I felt myself somewhat short of breath. It started during my workouts at the gym, I couldn't do cardio without freaking out and feeling like I might die, then it would happen in a stuffy room or in my car in the middle of winter. I said enough of this shit and went to get help....after a couple sessions I was able to teach myself to calm the **** down and realize it's all in my head. Thank God I got over it before the mask wearing of today! I never would have been able to survive. Long story short, panic attacks suck and I'm thankful I recovered from that hell. If any of you deal with em' I sympathize with you and happy to talk off the air....

It's why submarines have brigs. They can cause even experienced seamen (yeah, I said it) to freak out and they need to be able to deal with it.

It's why submarines have brigs. They can cause even experienced seamen (yeah, I said it) to freak out and they need to be able to deal with it.
I’m sorry “brigs”?

Today's subs are so much bigger than the subs of the past. The WW2 subs must have been nightmares. Literally tin cans.

Today's subs are so much bigger than the subs of the past. The WW2 subs must have been nightmares. Literally tin cans.

There's a WW2 sub you can tour in Charleston SC... where the Yorktown aircraft carrier is, think it's called Patriot's Point. It is incredible: bunks on top of torpedos... crazy tight. That's why it blew me away they'd dedicate such precious space to a jail cell vs handcuffs and restraints, and I'm not sure there weren't two on board. I'm sure guys going looney tunes was fairly common. Just shows how serious and real a threat it was.

I got to take my kids down to the Yorktown and spend the night on it when they were in Indian Guides. So cool to get to stay on board overnight. slept in bunks that I think were 4 high and suspended by chains to allow for the rolling of the boat. You had about 18" between you and the bunk above. A bitch to crawl out of to pee at night (barely had clearance for my nightly wood, but thank goodness, I'm just shy of that). They had a self-guided tour that was open until 9 or 10, and they closed the ship at like 5pm, so we had the run of it for a good while. Really neat. I thought at the time, they were 1 good slip and fall away from losing that opportunity and glad we got to do it. Thanks again to you Vets out there!

1f05441fe94cfbd28953291c2fe8d311.jpg

PS, do we have a comfy cell for Epp, just in case? I put his wife in handcuffs the other night, just as a precaution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eppy99
Another claustrophobic experience -- the Cu Chi Vietcong tunnels of Vietnam:

I was in Vietnam a couple of years back. Never did the tourist stuff like these tunnels. More like a gastro tour.

If she went with me and held my... hand, I think I could muster the courage.
I don't know man. I am ok in most cases. But having to fight and living in those tunnels?

The closest thing I have gotten close to claustrophobia was when I went spelunking as a kid.
The cave/tunnels got down to basically just crawling on my elbows -- and then in order to get into the cavern, I literally had to squeeze a shoulder sideways and then arms at this chokepoint to climb into that cavern, that was covered with bats on the ceiling.
I always remember that sensation -- a tightening of your throat, tough to breath etc.

Reactions: kkott
When I was in the Air Force I worked as a baker the last year of my enlistment. It was the 9p.m. to 5a.m. shift. I was done with my work and fell asleep. When I woke up it was about 10 till 5a.m. I had slept about 40 minutes and felt like I was going to end up in the brig.

When I was in the Air Force I worked as a baker the last year of my enlistment. It was the 9p.m. to 5a.m. shift. I was done with my work and fell asleep. When I woke up it was about 10 till 5a.m. I had slept about 40 minutes and felt like I was going to end up in the brig.
Did you rake the bunker before or after you fell asleep?

There's a WW2 sub you can tour in Charleston SC... where the Yorktown aircraft carrier is, think it's called Patriot's Point. It is incredible: bunks on top of torpedos... crazy tight. That's why it blew me away they'd dedicate such precious space to a jail cell vs handcuffs and restraints, and I'm not sure there weren't two on board. I'm sure guys going looney tunes was fairly common. Just shows how serious and real a threat it was.

I got to take my kids down to the Yorktown and spend the night on it when they were in Indian Guides. So cool to get to stay on board overnight. slept in bunks that I think were 4 high and suspended by chains to allow for the rolling of the boat. You had about 18" between you and the bunk above. A bitch to crawl out of to pee at night (barely had clearance for my nightly wood, but thank goodness, I'm just shy of that). They had a self-guided tour that was open until 9 or 10, and they closed the ship at like 5pm, so we had the run of it for a good while. Really neat. I thought at the time, they were 1 good slip and fall away from losing that opportunity and glad we got to do it. Thanks again to you Vets out there!

1f05441fe94cfbd28953291c2fe8d311.jpg

PS, do we have a comfy cell for Epp, just in case? I put his wife in handcuffs the other night, just as a precaution.
Eff that you gotta put me down with a tranquilizer

I can just imagine you baking the Xmas cookies.

I can just imagine you baking the Xmas cookies.
Yeah like 400 of them. I would do that many cookies eight fruit pies, eight other kinds of pie such as Boston Creme, 200 breakfast pastries, 16 cakes usually two different kinds. Plus I would help out with Midnight Chow which was a meal for late night workers which included breakfast and fast food like burgers and hot dogs to order.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT