ADVERTISEMENT

Pandemic Question:

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
far fewer drivers is making my commutes much easier and more enjoyable, but is anyone else having more instances of near road rage and accident situations? Friday I was driving to meet a buddy for lunch (socially distanced on the deck of his new house, for those who were thinking it!). I'm sitting at a light for an access road and 200 yards ahead is another light for the main road. As soon as the light turns green the jackass behind me guns it swerves around me in the intersection to get ahead of me, and then has to jam on his brakes to get stopped at the still red next light. I was in a hurry so I was anticipating the light and driving plenty fast as it was. I laid on the horn out of habit because it was such a dangerous and dikheaded move. 2 young punks, flipping me off, and I return in kind. Through the next few lights we take the same route and of course, despite speeding off the line like a fool, he never gets appreciably ahead of me. Maybe a halfmile later, a different car in the lane next to me drifts into my lane and I have to blow the horn at him, as he's pushing me into oncoming traffic. Then at the light at the bottom of the hill, there's a line of cars behind a guy making a left turn and as I proceed past them and through the intersection, one of the cars pulls out in front of me. No question I'm pancaking her, just a question of how bad. I stand on the brakes and she accelerates out of fear and somehow we don't make contact. I just got new tires last Sunday and I think they made the difference. Lay on the horn again, because she nearly killed or maimed both of us. So in a mile, I blast my horn 3X, all while being the defensive party, in relatively light traffic. WTF?

Then today, driving back from the store, a guy gets up on my bumper in the left lane. I've been passing, but we came up on a cop in the middle lane so the guy in front of me slows down and won't pass him. The guy gets right up on my bumper and honks at me, even though I've got nowhere to go. He gets in the middle lane and then the right lane to try and pass, but sees the cop and slows down. As I pass him now, he flips me the bird and I return in kind. Something has set me off and I've sort of decided subconsciously that if someone F's with me, I'm returning fire, but I can't decide if I'm just getting more agitated by the other retarded drivers, or is everyone just on a short fuse and distracted by current events and are driving poorly Thoughts?

Reactions: All4You
far fewer drivers is making my commutes much easier and more enjoyable, but is anyone else having more instances of near road rage and accident situations? Friday I was driving to meet a buddy for lunch (socially distanced on the deck of his new house, for those who were thinking it!). I'm sitting at a light for an access road and 200 yards ahead is another light for the main road. As soon as the light turns green the jackass behind me guns it swerves around me in the intersection to get ahead of me, and then has to jam on his brakes to get stopped at the still red next light. I was in a hurry so I was anticipating the light and driving plenty fast as it was. I laid on the horn out of habit because it was such a dangerous and dikheaded move. 2 young punks, flipping me off, and I return in kind. Through the next few lights we take the same route and of course, despite speeding off the line like a fool, he never gets appreciably ahead of me. Maybe a halfmile later, a different car in the lane next to me drifts into my lane and I have to blow the horn at him, as he's pushing me into oncoming traffic. Then at the light at the bottom of the hill, there's a line of cars behind a guy making a left turn and as I proceed past them and through the intersection, one of the cars pulls out in front of me. No question I'm pancaking her, just a question of how bad. I stand on the brakes and she accelerates out of fear and somehow we don't make contact. I just got new tires last Sunday and I think they made the difference. Lay on the horn again, because she nearly killed or maimed both of us. So in a mile, I blast my horn 3X, all while being the defensive party, in relatively light traffic. WTF?

Then today, driving back from the store, a guy gets up on my bumper in the left lane. I've been passing, but we came up on a cop in the middle lane so the guy in front of me slows down and won't pass him. The guy gets right up on my bumper and honks at me, even though I've got nowhere to go. He gets in the middle lane and then the right lane to try and pass, but sees the cop and slows down. As I pass him now, he flips me the bird and I return in kind. Something has set me off and I've sort of decided subconsciously that if someone F's with me, I'm returning fire, but I can't decide if I'm just getting more agitated by the other retarded drivers, or is everyone just on a short fuse and distracted by current events and are driving poorly Thoughts?

Always keep a smile on your face when raging.

It's not just you. I have noticed it quite a bit myself these past several weeks. Even as we are seeing a near 50% decrease in motor vehicle traffic on the road due to an abundance of caution, layoffs, school & business closings and self quarantine I have to believe the dipshit drivers are still out there in much the same numbers as they were pre-pandemic and as such they are even more noticeable. The same assholes who drive like they are 15 minutes late for their own funerals aren't going to let common sense keep them home and off the roads.

Last edited:

Who’s the common denominator in those 4 road rage instances?

Who’s the common denominator in those 4 road rage instances?

Oh, absolutely me, and I freely admit to my part in my response, some of which in the past, I'd have blown off. That one day was probably more road rage incidents than I'd had in the last year, and I didn't do any of the poor driving actions that precipitated them. But, my response was definitely more aggressive and out of normal character, which is what made me ponder how much of a role CV is playing.

Reactions: cryano
This pandemic has spawned a lot of road rage lately.

I was riding in a bike lane on a street a few days ago and a car stopped to yell at me for not riding on the sidewalk. He actually stopped, got out of the drivers side door, and yelled "Why can't you ride on the sidewalk?" I often DO ride on a sidewalk, for safety reasons, if there is NO bike lane, though bikes are SUPPOSED to be on the street. But lately, sidewalks have been more crowded than streets at some times of the day, so if there is a bike lane, I always use it. Riding way right of the line on the right of the car lane. Like I am supposed to.

Another incident, I was on the extreme edge of the road, no bike lane this time, but no traffic, and no sidewalk on this residential street. A guy in a big pickup going the same direction comes up right behind me but doesn't want to pass. I guess he wants me to ride off the side of the road into the grass. He follows me for a good 30 seconds then lays into his air horn. I resisted the urge to flip him off and waved him past (there was no oncoming traffic for the ENTIRE time). He passed & I saw his truck bumper plastered with MAGA stickers.

Ragers just gotta rage, usually wearing their MAGA hats.

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
Oh, absolutely me, and I freely admit to my part in my response, some of which in the past, I'd have blown off. That one day was probably more road rage incidents than I'd had in the last year, and I didn't do any of the poor driving actions that precipitated them. But, my response was definitely more aggressive and out of normal character, which is what made me ponder how much of a role CV is playing.
Riding w me is where my kids learn most of their cusswords...and that you can string a bunch of them together in a rhyming pattern almost...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT