ADVERTISEMENT

Painter has assistant coaches

cmo1

Senior
Sep 3, 2001
Who add more to the Purdue program than do the assistant coaches at IU!

And more excuses for Archie. Archie is responsible for his recruits and the hiring of the coaches. It’s called be a head coach. This isn’t an apprenticeship. He’s getting paid 3.5 million.

And more excuses for Archie. Archie is responsible for his recruits and the hiring of the coaches. It’s called be a head coach. This isn’t an apprenticeship. He’s getting paid 3.5 million.
Who’s making excuses. You’re beating the hell out of straw men constantly. Does it make you feel good? ;)

A coach's assistant coach is analogous to a teacher's teaching assistant. To continue on, they've been taught, but they still don't know sh*t for shingles about a lot else. sic always

You should read the Purdue board. multiple threads complaining about their new assistant, Micah Shrewsberry being a do nothing.

the same Shrewsberry that left the Celtics for the Purdue job? They’re nuts on GBI if they don’t think Shrewsberry is a good coach.

please define the word “excuse”

i think I know what the disconnect is here....

1. Has Crean’s players
2. Injuries
3. Team doesn’t get along
4. So and so will be coming next year
5. Players don’t listen or execute
6. Assistant coaches
7. Refs

Enough?

I see your mom left the basement door open again :p
I thought she was just throwing the Cheetos down the steps and then closing the door as quickly as possible to keep the wafting hippy lettuce below the ground floor.

Reactions: Lucy01
Who add more to the Purdue program than do the assistant coaches at IU!
I'm dying for details here. Please elaborate on what exactly Painter's assistants do at PU and what Archie's do at IU. I'm assuming that you attend practices and meetings at both places and occasionally sit on the bench for each team during games.

Or maybe you're just spewing ignorant shit because you actually know nothing about what goes on at either place. But it fits your narrative about Archie and fuels the equally ignorant speculation of the other rumor-starved douchebags who frequent this board

whopping 14 wins for pu

....and 7 straight over IU. It’s not even a rivalry anymore. In order to have a rivalry, both teams have to win the head-to-head battle occasionally.

At this point, IU isn’t even slightly competitive against Purdue.

I'm dying for details here. Please elaborate on what exactly Painter's assistants do at PU and what Archie's do at IU. I'm assuming that you attend practices and meetings at both places and occasionally sit on the bench for each team during games.

Or maybe you're just spewing ignorant shit because you actually know nothing about what goes on at either place. But it fits your narrative about Archie and fuels the equally ignorant speculation of the other rumor-starved douchebags who frequent this board
Amen bro.

A coach's assistant coach is analogous to a teacher's teaching assistant. To continue on, they've been taught, but they still don't know sh*t for shingles about a lot else. sic always
Congratulations on the false analogy, gross generalization, and complete ignorance displayed in this statement. Pretty impressive trifecta for a two-sentence post.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
While I agree that we have some questionable assistants, in over a decade at Purdue Painter is still yet to see a final 4. That along with questionable at best recruiting and a horrible record this year. Purdue/Painter has a ceiling and right now it isn't very high.

While I agree that we have some questionable assistants, in over a decade at Purdue Painter is still yet to see a final 4. That along with questionable at best recruiting and a horrible record this year. Purdue/Painter has a ceiling and right now it isn't very high.

He was a fluke away from one last year with arguably his 4th or 5th most talented team he’s had at Purdue.

Ivey and Morton don’t sound like questionable recruiting to me. Best guy in the state and a stud from PA who Archie was all over chose Purdue. 2021 will be a good class too.

Congratulations on the false analogy, gross generalization, and complete ignorance displayed in this statement. Pretty impressive trifecta for a two-sentence post.
That was a good response. I'm not sure what it means other than I must have hit a raw nerve. However, the best posts, such as yours, leave room for self interpretation so from that standpoint, I commend you...your passion.

I made my analogy statement based upon what a lot of people have said here about our assistant coaches. I personally have no knowledge to judge, whether they are good or bad assistants, but based upon others who act like they know, they are very bad, indeed. I stand by my assistants analogy. Until you truly are the man in the hot seat, the teacher in front of the class, in charge, you have no way of knowing what it is you truly need to know. The same goes for head coach vs. neophyte assistant coaches on the Assembly Hall sideline. Did I hit the trifecta again or just your last remaining raw nerve?

That was a good response. I'm not sure what it means other than I must have hit a raw nerve. However, the best posts, such as yours, leave room for self interpretation so from that standpoint, I commend you...your passion.

I made my analogy statement based upon what a lot of people have said here about our assistant coaches. I personally have no knowledge to judge, whether they are good or bad assistants, but based upon others who act like they know, they are very bad, indeed. I stand by my assistants analogy. Until you truly are the man in the hot seat, the teacher in front of the class, in charge, you have no way of knowing what it is you truly need to know. The same goes for head coach vs. neophyte assistant coaches on the Assembly Hall sideline. Did I hit the trifecta again or just your last remaining raw nerve?
Go easy on Coug. He’s had a rough day.

Reactions: abraxis
He was a fluke away from one last year with arguably his 4th or 5th most talented team he’s had at Purdue.

Ivey and Morton don’t sound like questionable recruiting to me. Best guy in the state and a stud from PA who Archie was all over chose Purdue. 2021 will be a good class too.
Painter has had 15 years at Purdue and zero final 4s, Purdue hasn't been at all in almost half a century. If anything the fact that they were close last year was the fluke.

The sad thing isn't that Painter is a bad coach, the sad thing is that he's a good coach and that's what good coaches don't do at Purdue. They don't go to final 4s.

Painter has had 15 years at Purdue and zero final 4s, Purdue hasn't been at all in almost half a century. If anything the fact that they were close last year was the fluke.

The sad thing isn't that Painter is a bad coach, the sad thing is that he's a good coach and that's what good coaches don't do at Purdue. They don't go to final 4s.
The basketball gods have declared that the Helms Championship or whatever it was called is enough for Purdue. LoL I actually thought PU had a chance during Big Dog's last year. They had a very good team that year, but ran into Duke in the final 8 I believe. This is all memory. I didn't look it up.

Almost the trifecta again. Have you checked Bruiser Flint's "neophyte" resume, or are you as lazy as you are stupid ?

The truth is that you have no idea what assistant coaches in any program know or do. What you did get right is that you have no knowledge to judge - yet you do anyway. That's the very definition of ignorant. Guys who are there every day, working side-by-side with the head coach over a period of years end up knowing exactly what they need to know. Ask any one of the hundreds of head coaches who were once assistants their take and see how many agree with you and how many agree with me. Maybe start with the two guys in the last NCAA title game. I'll bet Coach Bennett and Coach Beard felt they were pretty well prepared by their years as assistants to be head coaches.

Jeebus, the level of stupidity on this forum can be mind-boggling.

Almost the trifecta again. Have you checked Bruiser Flint's "neophyte" resume, or are you as lazy as you are stupid ?

The truth is that you have no idea what assistant coaches in any program know or do. What you did get right is that you have no knowledge to judge - yet you do anyway. That's the very definition of ignorant. Guys who are there every day, working side-by-side with the head coach over a period of years end up knowing exactly what they need to know. Ask any one of the hundreds of head coaches who were once assistants their take and see how many agree with you and how many agree with me. Maybe start with the two guys in the last NCAA title game. I'll bet Coach Bennett and Coach Beard felt they were pretty well prepared by their years as assistants to be head coaches.

Jeebus, the level of stupidity on this forum can be mind-boggling.
Your reaction to my innocent comment is way overblown, but if it allowed you to blow off some pent up steam, good for you! I’m glad I was able to assist in your time of need. Now, let’s move on to other things, like March and the madness it brings.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I actually thought PU had a chance during Big Dog's last year. They had a very good team that year, but ran into Duke in the final 8 I believe. This is all memory. I didn't look it up.
The Purdue team that scared me the most going into the NCAAT was their 1987-88 team that was the #1 Midwest seed at 20-4. They had Troy Lewis, Todd Mitchell, Everett Stephens, Melvin McCants, and Steve Sheffler. As the #2 ranked team in the country, they got beat by only 3 pts. to #20 Kansas in the Sweet Sixteen. Only then was I able to breathe a big sigh of relief. I looked up the details here. IU beat them by 3 pts in Assembly Hall that season, just one season after our national championship. Such was the genius of RMK.

Reactions: Spartans9312

The fact is that Painter’s best chances for deep tournament runs were derailed by injuries. He’s a top 10-15 coach in basketball and I’m glad we have him.

The basketball gods have declared that the Helms Championship or whatever it was called is enough for Purdue. LoL I actually thought PU had a chance during Big Dog's last year. They had a very good team that year, but ran into Duke in the final 8 I believe. This is all memory. I didn't look it up.
Grant hill got hot and the big dog was playing with a pretty bad back injury.

The fact is that Painter’s best chances for deep tournament runs were derailed by injuries. He’s a top 10-15 coach in basketball and I’m glad we have him.
Just the one season when the guy broke his arm. Other than that particular injury year, it's been all on "Man of many jowl lines".

Grant hill got hot and the big dog was playing with a pretty bad back injury.
What's notable about it is that Robinson injured his back while horsing around in the motel room the night before the game. He was wresting on the bed with a teammate and got slammed into the backboard. Purdue blamed their loss on his injury and subsequent poor shooting performance, 6-22 in 40 min. of play, including 0-6 from three pt. range when he averaged 39% from there. They fail to mention that his back injury didn't prevent him from hauling in a game high 13 rebounds that night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT