ADVERTISEMENT

Packline D is crap!

Just like last year, teams are getting way too much spacing on 3pt attempts! Im done with it! Go man to man or 1-3-1! Also, we are not blocking out at all! Giving PU way too many offensive boards! Archie is in way over his head!
Archie’s roster doesn’t match up here at all

Should be wiping the floor with this team to be honest. Think Ill watch Cobra Kai for the 3rd time.

This is simply a poorly coached program. Notice - I said program and not “team.” The entire Archie brand stinks top to bottom. Motivation. Getting guys to play hard. No consequences for bonehead play. This collection of players is not devoid of talent. There is something to work with there and a coach worth his salt could squeeze a few more wins out.
The entire product continues to look like it’s going through the motions. Just like the coach. Wash, rinse, repeat. This isn’t even a rivalry anymore. Maybe worse than Crean with this guy.

Just like last year, teams are getting way too much spacing on 3pt attempts! Im done with it! Go man to man or 1-3-1! Also, we are not blocking out at all! Giving PU way too many offensive boards! Archie is in way over his head!
I agree, its a garbage gimmick, and what makes it worse is we don't recruit towards it, like say a Syracuse that actually has a system.

What’s funny is somebody here made a statement that we are highly ranked regarding def 3pt FG%. Not sure if true. But I felt the same as you. That we give far too many clean looks and give up a high percentage.

What’s funny is somebody here made a statement that we are highly ranked regarding def 3pt FG%. Not sure if true. But I felt the same as you. That we give far too many clean looks and give up a high percentage.

Allowing Purdue to shoot 10-14 ought to change that.

I am willing to give Archie 1 more chance against these Pukie tools! I can blame this bad team on covid! Just 1 more chance! If he loses against them again next year, he better be toast! I dont see much changing unfortunately and probly gettn worse as far as recruiting! TJD will not want to come back to this shitshow!

I think the "Packline D" is very clever and effective defense... for the era of basketball before the 3 point line came into existence. Now it only looks good when the other team simply has a bad shooting night from 3.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
@Coach Geez

He is a moron tho, we are dead last in conference play in 3p% (allowing over 40%). at the time he was using the entire season competition, I told him that was stupid, but he insisted we were elite and that was not the problem.

CustodianGeez at his best

Packline defense is fine. Execution of it is terrible in most games. There is a reason very few teams play zones much. Bottom line is that if effort and attention to detail are poor then results are too.

This is simply a poorly coached program. Notice - I said program and not “team.” The entire Archie brand stinks top to bottom. Motivation. Getting guys to play hard. No consequences for bonehead play. This collection of players is not devoid of talent. There is something to work with there and a coach worth his salt could squeeze a few more wins out.
The entire product continues to look like it’s going through the motions. Just like the coach. Wash, rinse, repeat. This isn’t even a rivalry anymore. Maybe worse than Crean with this guy.
Crean wouldn't have this team with 3 wins in the Big ..
Imo..

Packline defense is fine. Execution of it is terrible in most games. There is a reason very few teams play zones much. Bottom line is that if effort and attention to detail are poor then results are too.
It's bullshit, and garbage. Recruit players that are good enough to not play gimmick BS.

• Haha
I think the "Packline D" is very clever and effective defense... for the era of basketball before the 3 point line came into existence. Now it only looks good when the other team simply has a bad shooting night from 3.
Lmao. Packline D came after the 3 point shot came. It’s a defense to counteract the dribble drive that became so popular. So all the teams/coaches that use the concept are living in the past? I mean Virginia, Michigan state, Xavier, UCLA, all use it. Hell half the elite 8 in 2014 used the packline.

Lmao. Packline D came after the 3 point shot came. It’s a defense to counteract the dribble drive that became so popular. So all the teams/coaches that use the concept are living in the past? I mean Virginia, Michigan state, Xavier, UCLA, all use it. Hell half the elite 8 in 2014 used the packline.

I'm sure those teams actually recruited the types of athletes needed to run it then? Guys who could bounce back out and close out on outside shooters? The current basketball "meta" isn't to stop the dribble-drive and allow open 3 pointers. 2014 was a long time ago in basketball terms and the current basketball analytics were just solidifying. Yes it CAN work when coached expertly (Virginia) and/or staffed with ideal players (MSU) for the unique system (as can any D).

I'm sure those teams actually recruited the types of athletes needed to run it then? Guys who could bounce back out and close out on outside shooters? The current basketball "meta" isn't to stop the dribble-drive and allow open 3 pointers. 2014 was a long time ago in basketball terms and the current basketball analytics were just solidifying. Yes it CAN work when coached expertly (Virginia) and/or staffed with ideal players (MSU) for the unique system (as can any D).
Lol. Even Chris beard uses it. Which is one of the choices people want as a replacement for Miller. Any defense has its weakness., purdue just got hot from 3. It’s not like they had been shooting lights out. They wont shoot 60% often.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Lol. Even Chris beard uses it. Which is one of the choices people want as a replacement for Miller. Any defense has its weakness., purdue just got hot from 3. It’s not like they had been shooting lights out. They wont shoot 60% often.

Our atrocious 3PD was the reason they got hot. Just like the no name from Nebraska that hit 5 3s on us. We got lucky that providence butler and Stanford sucked from 3. I remember thinking Jesus how wide open are we gonna leave them. They just suck and missed. Good teams were gonna hit. And guess what, the good teams hit them.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
God ... exactly, and we need a PU fan to point out the obvious to so many of us

I am willing to give Archie 1 more chance against these Pukie tools! I can blame this bad team on covid! Just 1 more chance! If he loses against them again next year, he better be toast! I dont see much changing unfortunately and probly gettn worse as far as recruiting! TJD will not want to come back to this shitshow!
Yes, Mom. Just one more chance. I promise I'll be good the next time. I've learned my lesson, Mom. It will never happen again.... I've heard that before somewhere. Can't remember when or where. It was long ago.

Last edited:
Coach to what you got year to year ... for God sake Painter does. He's not Red Auerbach, but he's a hell of a lot better than what we have

Speaking of being in over one's head,,,

Packline is m2m, Coach Dunning Kruger ..

and looks like PU only had 6 offensive boards.

So ugh yea, you're full of shit and speaking from a position of ignorance and butthurt.

There's enough wrong with the team without having to make up stupid crap.....

Last edited:
Coach to what you got year to year ... for God sake Painter does. He's not Red Auerbach, but he's a hell of a lot better than what we have

How does Matt painter adjust his system for his personnel? I’m curious. Particularly on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT