ADVERTISEMENT

Our messaging is wrong....

I didn't have much choice. I couldn't afford to go full time, and I had a good job in the area, and on top that, at the time, I fully expected to settle in the area, as well.
It’s one of the most underrated law schools in the country. 😄

Really? Might be time for me to update my resume.

I may or may not know some Faegre attorneys and I know they are open to hiring in every office. I'm not suggesting you should look there, but just giving it as a reference point since they have a small office in The Fort. Most firms of similar size or even smaller (single city focus) seem to be hiring across the board (corporate, litigation, etc.)

It’s one of the most underrated law schools in the country. 😄
It's not a bad school. Some decent professors there, and the clinical program is wonderful. It helps a lot of people, and the students get an enormous amount of real-world experience. I'd bet the UT clinic is the largest practitioner of immigration law in the region.

It's not a bad school. Some decent professors there, and the clinical program is wonderful. It helps a lot of people, and the students get an enormous amount of real-world experience. I'd bet the UT clinic is the largest practitioner of immigration law in the region.
Yes, I’m well aware of how great it is. 😉

That is setting up to translate into some massive cultural clashes, some of which we are already witnessing. Men tend to skew heavier towards conservatism and if all of the sudden, as colleges move uber liberal and less men (proportionally, maybe not in absolute) are getting that same exposure/experience (potentially purposefully), how does that shape society in 25 years?

I would say we do not know. The giant schism is 1.6%, that so far should not make a disastrous problem. But if it continues to grow, sure, it could amplify a problem.

But as the OP article pointed out, efforts have begun to attract males. Heck, knowing there are more women on campus than men alone should attract more men.

It is interesting, the numbers show White men attend college more than Blacks or Hispanics. But the original article does not mention that, nor that the percentage of White males is going up. It is as if they were looking for a statistic to rabble rouse.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
It is interesting, the numbers show White men attend college more than Blacks or Hispanics. But the original article does not mention that, nor that the percentage of White males is going up. It is as if they were looking for a statistic to rabble rouse.

LOL. Yathink?

giant schism is 1.6%

Huh? I'm not sure what stat that is from, but how would it not grow with 60% women vs. 40% men across national enrollment. And those figures are diverging in trend.

But as the OP article pointed out, efforts have begun to attract males. Heck, knowing there are more women on campus than men alone should attract more men.

That's is true. Will be like fishing with dynamite at KKG and Tri-Delt!

But, that wasn't really the articles point, was it? It was more the below...

The college gender gap cuts across race, geography and economic background. For the most part, white men—once the predominant group on American campuses—no longer hold a statistical edge in enrollment rates, said Mr. Mortenson, of the Pell Institute. Enrollment rates for poor and working-class white men are lower than those of young Black, Latino and Asian men from the same economic backgrounds, according to an analysis of census data by the Pell Institute for the Journal.

White men’s enrollment rate isn’t much higher, and is often lower than, minority men in the same income group.

Pretending to be perplexed by the rise of Trumpism/Populism on the right is no longer a valid reaction from liberals. The data here is a key (but not the only) piece of the puzzle. Leaving behind working class white males is literally part of OAN problem.

Reactions: jet812
I would say we do not know. The giant schism is 1.6%, that so far should not make a disastrous problem. But if it continues to grow, sure, it could amplify a problem.

But what discipline are all those women on campus studying? Males dominate STEM education. Men even dominate in philosophy. Much is said about ”empowerment” thes days. Women are not studying those fields that empower individuals.

But what discipline are all those women on campus studying? Males dominate STEM education. Men even dominate in philosophy. Much is said about ”empowerment” thes days. Women are not studying those fields that empower individuals.
So you’re saying we should be doing more to empower females. I agree. We should be challenging more women to enter into STEM fields. As a girl dad, I’m not seeing all this consternation over “girl power”. I’m teaching my girls to embrace going out and kicking butt.

It really depends on how you define STEM. If you include HC degrees (e.g., nursing, HC admin) with Science, then it will be more even than you think.

So you’re saying we should be doing more to empower females. I agree. We should be challenging more women to enter into STEM fields. As a girl dad, I’m not seeing all this consternation over “girl power”. I’m teaching my girls to embrace going out and kicking butt.
I don’t think we need to empower females. We need to empower people. We are producing a culture of people that finds comfort in group think, being told what to do, avoiding risk, and feeling diminished because of immutable characteristics. All of that is the opposite of empowerment.

im reading some history now and part of what I’ve read is about small pox. That is a disease that not only was often fatal, but the infection was a miserable awful experience and left one with lasting scars if you survived. Yet we accompanied great things despite that disease. . Compare that with the profound weakness we show with this whole COVID thing. We don’t have an empowered society and culture and it is getting worse.

It really depends on how you define STEM. If you include HC degrees (e.g., nursing, HC admin) with Science, then it will be more even than you think.
not Sure what you mean here. More women are becoming physicians and dentists and more men are becoming nurses. I've read where this is at least partly the result of changing the very nature of those professions. I think the same goes for law.

not Sure what you mean here. More women are becoming physicians and dentists and more men are becoming nurses. I've read where this is at least partly the result of changing the very nature of those professions. I think the same goes for law.

I'm saying if you include the HC field as part of the definition of STEM, women make up a much larger proportion than if you exclude HC.

I'm not sure what data you are looking at, but this suggests women are still a dominant percentage of nursing grads. Maybe you are watching too much "Meet the Parents"?

JZ8vxXg.png

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Does it matter? Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain taught linguistics and religion. Our founders all pretty much read Latin and/or Greek, studied literature, rhetoric, philosophy.

Nobody stops to ask what education is for, because the answer is implicitly accepted by all: an education is for getting a job. It is, in other words, for being a cog in the giant machine of post-industrial capitalism. It is, in other words, for the opposite thing that our forefathers wanted for us. I do not use these words lightly, but it is against--in the sense that a headwind is against a ship--the very foundations of our liberty and our civilization.​

What is an education for? I agree with the author, to make us better citizens. It doesn't matter if one is rich or poor, we are all helped by those who are better citizens.

Does it matter? Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain taught linguistics and religion. Our founders all pretty much read Latin and/or Greek, studied literature, rhetoric, philosophy.

Nobody stops to ask what education is for, because the answer is implicitly accepted by all: an education is for getting a job. It is, in other words, for being a cog in the giant machine of post-industrial capitalism. It is, in other words, for the opposite thing that our forefathers wanted for us. I do not use these words lightly, but it is against--in the sense that a headwind is against a ship--the very foundations of our liberty and our civilization.​

What is an education for? I agree with the author, to make us better citizens. It doesn't matter if one is rich or poor, we are all helped by those who are better citizens.
Exactly the discussion I have been trying to get started for a long time. What is the purpose? We designed large scale public education to prepare kids to work in factories. We set up schools on an agricultural calendar so kids could work the farm. The daily schedule was set up in a world where dads worked one job, and moms stayed home. Society has changed. Schools overall, not so much.
My dad went to a Big 10 school on the GI bill and got a civil engineering degree. My mom wrote his English papers for him (they were already married). I tease my dad about his experiences in vocational school.

People think high scores on IQ tests means you're smart. No, it means you're good at taking IQ tests.
Ok, I'll take the opposite side of this one. I think everyone making this point is dead wrong.

If taking these tests are just a game, that "almost anyone" can figure out, then why aren't they? Why aren't those rich kids involved in the college cheating scandals scoring in the top 1 to 2%, for example? Don't you think the army of professionals that have been designing, testing, and altering the SATs and IQ tests for the last 50 years might know about this and have changed the test accordingly?

On that last point--and picking up a string of discussion between Marvin and me--why do you discount the expertise, training, and implementation of the experts over the last 50 years in developing these tests?

I will readily admit, though, that "success" takes a hell of a lot more than sheer IQ. And that grit, hard work, motivation, etc. can overcome it in many cases. But if you give me a stack of resumes for nearly any job I can think of, and tell me I have ONE criteria to use to make the hiring decision, I'll take IQ score as demonstrated on a developed IQ test over nearly everything else.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I'm going back to the 60s, when everyone took "achievement tests" every 3-4 years (like maybe 4th/7th/10th grades). That's what determined who got sent to shop classes and who got shunted into freshman algebra.
One other thing about standardized statewide tests in Indiana. If what I hear is correct, teachers are told, school administrators are told, central office personnel are told, school boards are told (and they each tell the group below them) that if teaching is flawless, all children should be able to pass the test. Heck, in some districts like Carmel and Zionsville, they get close in some years. Two things:
1. Cut scores for test proficiency are not determined until all tests are in and scored. In other words, the cut score is set in a way that there are winners and losers.
2. What do you suppose would be the response if, say, IPS had over 90% of their kids pass the test? Congratulations? Good job? Or, "Holy shit, they either cheated or the test is waaaaay too easy, and we have to make sure to make it harder next year"? (Of course, this is a trick scenario...cut scores will always be set so that a certain percentage of kids will score below passing.)

Reactions: larsIU

If you think the notion that government has, or should have, a monopoly on force and power, is a problem, then conservatism is the antidote.

If you think that public education only produces individuals who are only cogs in a giant machine of post industrial capitalism is a problem, then conservatism is the answer.

Critical theory as morphed into critical race theory will produce more of these results and makes matters worse. This is why this needs to be cleansed from education. The mind numbing and thought deadening ideas that race, class, or social standing dictates our destiny is liberalism run amuck.

The antidote to all of this is not so easily summed up as teaching the classics—although that could be part of it. It’s bigger than that. It’s nurturing the idea that we are individuals and we need the power and satisfaction of individual risk, work, achievement, and everything else that makes us vital humans. The more we surrender these things to others or to government, the more we will become cogs in somebody‘s machine or the more we will become subjects of unrestrained government authority.

About standardized testing, my brother ran the at risk program in Hammond for a generation. He was getting kids to come back to school who had dropped out to learn culinary, auto mechanics, all that vocational stuff. But it was a problem. The state will pay for kids in "regular" classes, kids who take and pass the standardized tests. These kids weren't doing that, they would drop out again before sitting in another lit or math class. So most of his time was spent fighting for funding though that was never what he wanted to do.

We need flexibility, and I am not sure how flexible we are with kids who do not fit the cookie cutter.

About standardized testing, my brother ran the at risk program in Hammond for a generation. He was getting kids to come back to school who had dropped out to learn culinary, auto mechanics, all that vocational stuff. But it was a problem. The state will pay for kids in "regular" classes, kids who take and pass the standardized tests. These kids weren't doing that, they would drop out again before sitting in another lit or math class. So most of his time was spent fighting for funding though that was never what he wanted to do.

We need flexibility, and I am not sure how flexible we are with kids who do not fit the cookie cutter.
when i was finishing grad school i worked at a facility in the hood helping at risk kids get their geds. if they completed their ged we gave them a free computer. for pr the ED had a lady come in to do a photo shoot. i was there early while she was setting up so she had me be the model for lighting and all that. i had to hold a computer. without my permission they ended up using me in all of their promotional materials that were disseminated all over the city with I GOT MY GED AND A FREE COMPUTER over my picture. I was 24.

when i was finishing grad school i worked at a facility in the hood helping at risk kids get their geds. if they completed their ged we gave them a free computer. for pr the ED had a lady come in to do a photo shoot. i was there early while she was setting up so she had me be the model for lighting and all that. i had to hold a computer. without my permission they ended up using me in all of their promotional materials that were disseminated all over the city with I GOT MY GED AND A FREE COMPUTER over my picture. I was 24.
:) GOOOOOOAAL

iu

I can say that over the past 40 years experiencing higher ed in chemisty and biology,

in the 80s it was something like
70-30 men-women in biology graduate programs
90-10 men-women in chemistry

now I'd guess
50-50 men-women in biology
60-40 men-women in chemistry

the faculty remains more imbalanced, but the student population has moved drastically toward more even numbers.

There is a greater number of women who drop out, though, or change careers, in my experience

If you think the notion that government has, or should have, a monopoly on force and power, is a problem, then conservatism is the antidote.

If you think that public education only produces individuals who are only cogs in a giant machine of post industrial capitalism is a problem, then conservatism is the answer.

Critical theory as morphed into critical race theory will produce more of these results and makes matters worse. This is why this needs to be cleansed from education. The mind numbing and thought deadening ideas that race, class, or social standing dictates our destiny is liberalism run amuck.

The antidote to all of this is not so easily summed up as teaching the classics—although that could be part of it. It’s bigger than that. It’s nurturing the idea that we are individuals and we need the power and satisfaction of individual risk, work, achievement, and everything else that makes us vital humans. The more we surrender these things to others or to government, the more we will become cogs in somebody‘s machine or the more we will become subjects of unrestrained government authority.
I firmly believe our idealogues on BOTH sides are cogs, just cogs in their mindless movements. I haven't read it yet, but a soon read will be the book below.

Amazon product ASIN 0691214913

Exactly the discussion I have been trying to get started for a long time. What is the purpose? We designed large scale public education to prepare kids to work in factories. We set up schools on an agricultural calendar so kids could work the farm. The daily schedule was set up in a world where dads worked one job, and moms stayed home. Society has changed. Schools overall, not so much.
My dad went to a Big 10 school on the GI bill and got a civil engineering degree. My mom wrote his English papers for him (they were already married). I tease my dad about his experiences in vocational school.
I agree with a lot of this but I wonder if you are short selling how much schools probably have changed over the last 100-150 years or so, at least in how and what they teach. I really don't know.

One thing that must get brought into this discussion is: what, exactly, makes "good citizens" and who gets to decide? Many on the identitarian left would say you must teach oppression dynamics and center social studies on creating "agents of change," while many on the far right might want you to teach replacement theory and how white people created all that is right and good in the world (I exaggerate here, I think?). So how do we do this? Teaching towards job skills seems more objective and less political. Not saying it is right, just maybe easier to sell.

As for college at least, the student gets to decide. I always focused on just getting an education for an education's sake, with a focus on how to think rather than what to think, and never worried about job prospects. I'm going to recommend the same to my kids.

I agree with a lot of this but I wonder if you are short selling how much schools probably have changed over the last 100-150 years or so, at least in how and what they teach. I really don't know.

One thing that must get brought into this discussion is: what, exactly, makes "good citizens" and who gets to decide? Many on the identitarian left would say you must teach oppression dynamics and center social studies on creating "agents of change," while many on the far right might want you to teach replacement theory and how white people created all that is right and good in the world (I exaggerate here, I think?). So how do we do this? Teaching towards job skills seems more objective and less political. Not saying it is right, just maybe easier to sell.

As for college at least, the student gets to decide. I always focused on just getting an education for an education's sake, with a focus on how to think rather than what to think, and never worried about job prospects. I'm going to recommend the same to my kids.
I will agree that there are schools that have changed, but, for the most part, school has not.
As far as the idea of "good citizen", that used to be a much simpler concept back in the day.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I firmly believe our idealogues on BOTH sides are cogs, just cogs in their mindless movements. I haven't read it yet, but a soon read will be the book below.

If your point is that we aren’t teaching people how to think, I heartily agree. Since schools are mostly in the hands of liberals, I’ll put most of the blame there.

What we do and think outside of education, and whether government and business forces individuals to be cogs is a different question. In my view, liberals in government push us in that direction much more than conservatives. Business takes what it can.

If your point is that we aren’t teaching people how to think, I heartily agree. Since schools are mostly in the hands of liberals, I’ll put most of the blame there.

What we do and think outside of education, and whether government and business forces individuals to be cogs is a different question. In my view, liberals in government push us in that direction much more than conservatives. Business takes what it can.
So, the factory model of public schooling, encouraged by industrialists and created to ensure a docile and agreeable work force by emphasizing following orders in classrooms all day while sitting in straight rows and being subjected to a top down, one way flow of information is a result of liberal influence?
Absurd.

That. Is. AWESOME! 😆

Pictures or it didn't happen.

ADVERTISEMENT