ADVERTISEMENT

Other than Free Throw shooting...

Jayhoosier83

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2017
Is there anything to really complain about or needs improvement on this team so far that you can tell? The next four games will really give us an idea of where we’re at.

Agreed. We may not have as good a shooting team as we'd like to believe. If I could offer a criticism of Mr. Langford, he is not a great shooter. The only true shooters on the team are Fitzner and Anderson. Don't get me wrong, other guys can hit shots, but when you are being guarded closely by top teams there is not much room to be just OK.

The good news is this team has loads of scoring inside. A variety of plays and a variety of ways.

But yeah, Rob Johnson, Jordy Hulls, Tom Coverdale, AJ Guyton.... we could use another bomber.

Agreed. We may not have as good a shooting team as we'd like to believe. If I could offer a criticism of Mr. Langford, he is not a great shooter. The only true shooters on the team are Fitzner and Anderson. Don't get me wrong, other guys can hit shots, but when you are being guarded closely by top teams there is not much room to be just OK.

The good news is this team has loads of scoring inside. A variety of plays and a variety of ways.

But yeah, Rob Johnson, Jordy Hulls, Tom Coverdale, AJ Guyton.... we could use another bomber.

With Morgan, Langford and Davis as he recovers this team has enough scoring threats that mostly all we need are guys who can hit open 3s. Between the guys you mention along with McRoberts and Phinisee if we hit open 3s, we'll be fine.

The free throw shooting is the real head scratcher to me. Hard to understand how a team of scholly players can't hit 75% of their FTs. Not certain yet, but 2 games of sub par FT's on the heels of last year has me concerned about that. If we give away free points, we'll give away games. Hope that can get addressed ASAP!

With Morgan, Langford and Davis as he recovers this team has enough scoring threats that mostly all we need are guys who can hit open 3s. Between the guys you mention along with McRoberts and Phinisee if we hit open 3s, we'll be fine.

The free throw shooting is the real head scratcher to me. Hard to understand how a team of scholly players can't hit 75% of their FTs. Not certain yet, but 2 games of sub par FT's on the heels of last year has me concerned about that. If we give away free points, we'll give away games. Hope that can get addressed ASAP!

We will lose a couple tight ones...if we can't hit the stripe ones...

3 point shooting I'd say, definitely need to be better outsider shooters against the good teams.
Have to agree, 30% from behind the 3 point line isn’t going to cut it when facing better competition. Didn’t realize we had taken 21 threes in both of the games this season.

Is there anything to really complain about or needs improvement on this team so far that you can tell? The next four games will really give us an idea of where we’re at.
Need to improve at 3 point shooting. It's early, but this percentage isn't good enough. I think they will improve as the season goes on though.

Outside shooting is more than just launch if you see daylight. There is passing discipline and good inside out play, plus moving without the ball, and dare I say, actual screening to free shooters.

Right now, I'd say IU's shot selection and offensive discipline has not been great. They are still trying to figure out who they are and how they want to play.

Reactions: iubud
It's too early in the season to nit pick, but histrionics have been quite poor so far. I'm no expert, but it seems that there have been multiple blown opportunities to flex, pose, 3-goggle and dance about.

Hopefully this is something the staff is working to correct before it becomes a major issue vs higher quality opponents. The strength coach has been noticeably absent from timeout/dead ball celebrations... do we even celebrate timeouts anymore?

It's bad enough that these kids aren't wearing the long, free flowing skirts that make playing/watching hoops so much more enjoyable, but must they be so miserable all the time to boot?

Like to see the ball consistently go inside to Morgan and give him a chance to operate. If the kick out three is there, take it. So far, too many threes are being settled for without making the other team move and play D.

Blocking out and rebounding have not been consistent.

Side Note: Injuries have limited what they can do with the rotation and yet it still seems like they have depth. It will be interesting to see if that remains true against a clearly better team than what they have faced to date.

Injuries would be my biggest concern, but I don't know how to avoid them. Race plays a few minutes and then gets a concussion in practice. At least his groin injury will have more time to heal.

It sounds like it will be a game time decision on who can play. We could play tonight with none or all of ; Green, Thompson, and McBob. We know Hunter is out and I would be surprised if Thompson is cleared.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT