ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USMNT

IUPACERHORSE

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2011
i know the competition was not the best, but that is the 1st USMNT match I’ve ever watched where it looked like the team had an ability to make a play 2-3 steps ahead. Very European in their quick passing in the box and unselfishness.

More of this please.

I hope the young ones are watching and growing a love for the game. The athletes in this country would make us a power house the likes that has never been seen.

Reactions: kobis18
i know the competition was not the best, but that is the 1st USMNT match I’ve ever watched where it looked like the team had an ability to make a play 2-3 steps ahead. Very European in their quick passing in the box and unselfishness.

More of this please.

I hope the young ones are watching and growing a love for the game. The athletes in this country would make us a power house the likes that has never been seen.

I’m not much of a soccer fan, but turn on the big US games when they happen as I’m a sports fan. One thing that always stands out to me or maybe my perception is that we always play a game where the other team possesses the ball much more than we do. It’s like we don’t have the on ball skills to make plays against other teams. Pulisic looks the part though from what I have seen. Guy looks on a different level than we have had.

I’m not much of a soccer fan, but turn on the big US games when they happen as I’m a sports fan. One thing that always stands out to me or maybe my perception is that we always play a game where the other team possesses the ball much more than we do. It’s like we don’t have the on ball skills to make plays against other teams. Pulisic looks the part though from what I have seen. Guy looks on a different level than we have had.

Agreed ... the men's team has a history of being sloppy with the ball when encountering equal or better talent ... they seem unable to move the ball up the field without an "over the top" pass ... they lack the ball skills to beat others one on one .... Pulisic is the outlier, he can not only beat his man, he can beat a double team and STILL create opportunities ... I've read enough articles and watched enough Premier/Bundesliga/Champions league matches to understand that MLS games are wayyyy behind in skill level ... to get to the next level the Americans need to head over the pond to close the talent gap. Playing against top end talent is the only way to improve one's skill level ... Pulisic left before he hit 18 ... it's a tough decision to make, but staying home doesn't seem to be the answer. The other problem is that, historically, the most athletic kids in America are playing football, basketball, and baseball.

When soccer becomes the "cool" or "sexy" sport, and kids can see a career path (either playing or coaching), then American soccer will take off like a rocket ship ... right now it's the sport a lot of (BUT NOT ALL) kids play after they have tried the other major sports. Kids won't turn down schollies to the OSU, UM, OU, Alabama, Clemson's of the world (and the paycheck that may come afterwards) to go play soccer ... when that starts happening US men's soccer will look much like the woman's side ... a talent gap so large the 2nd team will be better than most other countries 1st team.

Agreed ... the men's team has a history of being sloppy with the ball when encountering equal or better talent ... they seem unable to move the ball up the field without an "over the top" pass ... they lack the ball skills to beat others one on one .... Pulisic is the outlier, he can not only beat his man, he can beat a double team and STILL create opportunities ... I've read enough articles and watched enough Premier/Bundesliga/Champions league matches to understand that MLS games are wayyyy behind in skill level ... to get to the next level the Americans need to head over the pond to close the talent gap. Playing against top end talent is the only way to improve one's skill level ... Pulisic left before he hit 18 ... it's a tough decision to make, but staying home doesn't seem to be the answer. The other problem is that, historically, the most athletic kids in America are playing football, basketball, and baseball.

When soccer becomes the "cool" or "sexy" sport, and kids can see a career path (either playing or coaching), then American soccer will take off like a rocket ship ... right now it's the sport a lot of (BUT NOT ALL) kids play after they have tried the other major sports. Kids won't turn down schollies to the OSU, UM, OU, Alabama, Clemson's of the world (and the paycheck that may come afterwards) to go play soccer ... when that starts happening US men's soccer will look much like the woman's side ... a talent gap so large the 2nd team will be better than most other countries 1st team.

I’ve heard people argue that it’s not our athletes anymore that are the issue, it’s the club system that pushes out kids who can’t afford it. I’m not sure if either argument is right, but it’s shocking that we have lacked some truly elite playmakers for a country our size. I would imagine as the sport grows and things like the premier league stay on TV, our coaching/training/players will get better. I’m on my thirties and I bet we can compete internationally within the next 20 years.

I’ve heard people argue that it’s not our athletes anymore that are the issue, it’s the club system that pushes out kids who can’t afford it. I’m not sure if either argument is right, but it’s shocking that we have lacked some truly elite playmakers for a country our size. I would imagine as the sport grows and things like the premier league stay on TV, our coaching/training/players will get better. I’m on my thirties and I bet we can compete internationally within the next 20 years.

The club system as it currently works is horrible in my opinion ... for the very reason you name. It allows parents of lesser athletes to “buy” their kid a hobby. Here is part of the problem, there seems to be a lack of soccer knowledgeable parents to help local city programs develop ... even moms/dads who didn’t play baseball at the mlb level have enough experience and knowledge to help with little league coaching ... until soccer gets more developed, there is a lack of “free” workers to move the soccer chain forward. Parents are boxed in with bad city programs or dropping big bucks (and lots of time) on club treats. Also, soccer clubs seem to try and dominate their players schedule and not allow for other sports, which is a HUGE turn off for many parents I know.

Not sure what the answer is, but better park leagues is where the transition will start. It’s an inexpensive sport at the youth level and is much more engaging for young kids ... the fall off seems to be at the middle school level, where kids begin prioritizing other sports and the mediocre athletic talent that sticks with soccer in the US is multiple notches below other counties top end athletes (that’s why soccer is the #1 sport internationally, their stud athletes live and die soccer).

I too hope the influx of high level soccer on tv helps peek interest and expose kids to what skilled soccer looks like. It has for sure increased my knowledge and passion for the game. I can see the US being much more competitive in 20 years ... even if it’s at more of a non elite level. The elite level play may take a bit longer, but when it does transition to that I don’t ever see the USA falling back to the mediocre level, which other countries with lesser populations seem to do (flex between elite and competitive based on if they have multiple super-stars). The USA should have the population base to kick out super stars at the athletic level of nba/nfl/mlb all-stars yearly. At that point a team with multiple Ronaldo, Messi, Aguero, and Sterling level talents will be incredible to watch.

Reactions: RBB89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT