ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tracy Smith hires former IU assistant coach, Ty Neal...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Michigan's Tracy Smith is hiring Ty Neal who was an assistant coach under Smith at IU for almost Smith's entire coaching career at IU. Neal left IU to become the Cincinnati Bearcats head coach a year before Smith left IU for Arizona State. Neal replaces former IU star player Josh Phegley who has departed.

Kendall Rogers
@KendallRogers
·
4h

SCOOP:
@umichbaseball
is hiring former heralded Indiana assistant and Cincinnati head coach Ty Neal as its newest assistant, replacing departed Josh Phegley. Neal was recently a HS head coach, but obviously has strong cachet in the D1 baseball ranks.

Neal was HC at UC when they had the gambling issues right?
That was Scott Googins who took over for Neal in 2018 after coming over from Xavier. Googins had two assistants that were fired after the 2023 season after they failed to report a sports gambling scandal. I couldn't find anything that connected Neal to that.

Ironically, Googins was an IU assistant coach under Bob Morgan from 1993 to 2000.

That was Scott Googins who took over for Neal in 2018 after coming over from Xavier. Googins had two assistants that were fired after the 2023 season after they failed to report a sports gambling scandal. I couldn't find anything that connected Neal to that.

Ironically, Googins was an IU assistant coach under Bob Morgan from 1993 to 2000.
Yeah, I got my former IU coaches confused. Googins was a good due. He was at the CWS supporting IU in 2012 (or whenever that was).

I feel like Neal got shitcanned at UC for something embarrassing but I won’t speculate specifically until I confirm with my source.

Reactions: Bligedy
Yeah, I got my former IU coaches confused. Googins was a good due. He was at the CWS supporting IU in 2012 (or whenever that was).

I feel like Neal got shitcanned at UC for something embarrassing but I won’t speculate specifically until I confirm with my source.
I believe you are very correct Kraft.

Reactions: Bligedy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT