ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Arrogance of Ohio State Football Fans

codylance

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 13, 2004
Want to get this on the record before tO$U game tonight:

Stumbled onto a video on YouTube a few weeks ago predicting the "10 Best QBs of the Big Ten" for the upcoming season.

It turned out to be three knuckleheads rating the B1G QBs, counting down from #10 down to the best, along with the reasons why they ranked them that way, etc. (And as the video went on, it became obvious that 1 or 2 - if not all three - were Buckeye fans, which is OK.... except..😮...)

The general tone of the thing was that of disdain & mild contempt for the pool of talent at B1G QB this year. They were quick to point out QB flaws, but slow to put in the good word for just how HARD it is to be a QB in this very tough conference...! OK, fine.

As they counted down from #10 to #3, very few surprises were revealed unless one was being picky, and since Mike P's name hadn't been called, I assumed he would be #1 (since - let's face it: he IS !), but for the LIFE of me, I couldn't figure out who #2 would be...!?!

They had already named the Minny QB, the Wisky QB, the Penn St QB, the Iowa QB, etc....was it going to be Adrian Martinez (surely NOT !), or Peters of Ill..?!??

Well didn't have to wait long: their #2 QB in the Big Ten was none other than.....Michael Penix...!

WHAT ?!??

OK, then WHO THE HECK do they rate the BEST ?!?? I mean all the good ones had been named... 🤷‍♂️

Well , it turned out they picked a guy who had played IN THREE GAMES LAST YEAR - IN GARBAGE TIME - AND WHO HADN'T THROWN A PASS YET..!?!! :eek:🙄🤷‍♂️:

CJ Stroud of - what else ? - tO$U...!!!

Apparently he looked good in the Bucknuts Spring Game (where no one was allowed to tackle him) and he was a 5-star (or is it 6 ?🤷‍♂️..do they go that high..?!??) player out of High School.

When he starts tonight it will be the most anticipated quarterback debut since Woody Hayes unveiled Art Schlichter.... (Hey....whatever happened to that guy...:rolleyes: ?)

Their reasoning for rating Stroud above 13 other experienced QBs seemed to be threefold:

1. The B1G QB talent is just not very good this year.
2. Stroud has the best two WRs in the conference to throw to.
and..
3. ...well - besides his being so good in HS - the darn Buckeyes are just SO good, that - well - how can you not pick ANYBODY who QBs them as the best guy..?!?? 🤷‍♂️:oops:🤷‍♂️

The problem with all this is, there are VERY FEW Joe Burrows out there: guys who didn't start a game and then became all-world in their first year.

Also, the best WR in the B1G last year was NOT Garrett Wilson of OSU (he was SECOND TEAM!), it was Ty Fryfogle......and yes, Chris Olave is also a stud, but he was not that highly rated coming out of HS (Phil Steele - for example - had him "PS# 224", whereas the guy transferring to Indiana from Florida St - DJ Mathews - was rated "PS #7"). So it is not clear that tO$U's receivers are much better than IU's...

And the Big Ten - for QBs - is no cake walk ! Remember: the LAST stud QB at Ohio State - Justin Fields, last year - threw three picks (3!) in ONE GAME in Bloomington...

Three...! One. Two. Three. (even a Buckeye fan can count that high...😜)

But heck, maybe I'm wrong.....maybe the rook will jump to the top of the heap & be a Heisman contender....maybe he will be "all-everything", as many of the pundits have predicted....

If so, I'm prepared to eat crow with the best of them.....take my seat next to one Mr. Scott Frost....

And tonight we may go a long way toward getting some answers when the Bucks play Minny, who has big lines, some good skill position guys and an EXPERIENCED QB - who, at least TWO years ago, was pretty freakin' good....!

We'll see....🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Btfu2017
It is clear at this point, they don't have a realistic view of QB play in the B1G.

Want to get this on the record before tO$U game tonight:

Stumbled onto a video on YouTube a few weeks ago predicting the "10 Best QBs of the Big Ten" for the upcoming season.

It turned out to be three knuckleheads rating the B1G QBs, counting down from #10 down to the best, along with the reasons why they ranked them that way, etc. (And as the video went on, it became obvious that 1 or 2 - if not all three - were Buckeye fans, which is OK.... except..😮...)

The general tone of the thing was that of disdain & mild contempt for the pool of talent at B1G QB this year. They were quick to point out QB flaws, but slow to put in the good word for just how HARD it is to be a QB in this very tough conference...! OK, fine.

As they counted down from #10 to #3, very few surprises were revealed unless one was being picky, and since Mike P's name hadn't been called, I assumed he would be #1 (since - let's face it: he IS !), but for the LIFE of me, I couldn't figure out who #2 would be...!?!

They had already named the Minny QB, the Wisky QB, the Penn St QB, the Iowa QB, etc....was it going to be Adrian Martinez (surely NOT !), or Peters of Ill..?!??

Well didn't have to wait long: their #2 QB in the Big Ten was none other than.....Michael Penix...!

WHAT ?!??

OK, then WHO THE HECK do they rate the BEST ?!?? I mean all the good ones had been named... 🤷‍♂️

Well , it turned out they picked a guy who had played IN THREE GAMES LAST YEAR - IN GARBAGE TIME - AND WHO HADN'T THROWN A PASS YET..!?!! :eek:🙄🤷‍♂️:

CJ Stroud of - what else ? - tO$U...!!!

Apparently he looked good in the Bucknuts Spring Game (where no one was allowed to tackle him) and he was a 5-star (or is it 6 ?🤷‍♂️..do they go that high..?!??) player out of High School.

When he starts tonight it will be the most anticipated quarterback debut since Woody Hayes unveiled Art Schlichter.... (Hey....whatever happened to that guy...:rolleyes: ?)

Their reasoning for rating Stroud above 13 other experienced QBs seemed to be threefold:

1. The B1G QB talent is just not very good this year.
2. Stroud has the best two WRs in the conference to throw to.
and..
3. ...well - besides his being so good in HS - the darn Buckeyes are just SO good, that - well - how can you not pick ANYBODY who QBs them as the best guy..?!?? 🤷‍♂️:oops:🤷‍♂️

The problem with all this is, there are VERY FEW Joe Burrows out there: guys who didn't start a game and then became all-world in their first year.

Also, the best WR in the B1G last year was NOT Garrett Wilson of OSU (he was SECOND TEAM!), it was Ty Fryfogle......and yes, Chris Olave is also a stud, but he was not that highly rated coming out of HS (Phil Steele - for example - had him "PS# 224", whereas the guy transferring to Indiana from Florida St - DJ Mathews - was rated "PS #7"). So it is not clear that tO$U's receivers are much better than IU's...

And the Big Ten - for QBs - is no cake walk ! Remember: the LAST stud QB at Ohio State - Justin Fields, last year - threw three picks (3!) in ONE GAME in Bloomington...

Three...! One. Two. Three. (even a Buckeye fan can count that high...😜)

But heck, maybe I'm wrong.....maybe the rook will jump to the top of the heap & be a Heisman contender....maybe he will be "all-everything", as many of the pundits have predicted....

If so, I'm prepared to eat crow with the best of them.....take my seat next to one Mr. Scott Frost....

And tonight we may go a long way toward getting some answers when the Bucks play Minny, who has big lines, some good skill position guys and an EXPERIENCED QB - who, at least TWO years ago, was pretty freakin' good....!

We'll see....🤷‍♂️
Still think Penix is #2?

• Haha
Reactions: Btfu2017
ADVERTISEMENT