ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sharon Versyp "retires"

GeddyHoosier

All-Big Ten
Feb 1, 2006
I'm not much a women's basketball fan, but former IU coach and current Purdue coach Sharon Versyp "retired" yesterday at age 55. She was under investigation for mistreatment of players and staff and must have read the writing on the wall.

Never mind...I see that Purdue has already elevated Katie Gearlds to take over.

Whew -- glad we dodged that bullet! ;)

Seems less likely to retire at 55.
I have no inside info, and part of her retirement agreement (probably) was a gag order on both sides, so we may not ever know much.
Purdue’s issue. Glad not ours.
We had similar issues with football with Wilson pre Tom Allan.

She’s also had health issues which along with the declining program and player issues probably help contribute to her retiring at 55.

I was happy to see her come, and now, I'm happy to see her go. She engineered the decline of the program. I'm sure not what she wanted, but she seemed to lack critical head coach skills needed to keep a program at the top.

Never mind...I see that Purdue has already elevated Katie Gearlds to take over.

Whew -- glad we dodged that bullet! ;)
Re: Moren, she has a specific buyout provision in her contract if she goes to Purdue. (I'm thinking it might be something like $1M, but don't hold me to that.)

Re: Morten, I don’t thinkPurdue will go shopping at IU again for a WBB coach. The last one seemed good, but that just didn’t work out. Maybe we can catch up to you guys soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT