ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RMK could return to Assembly Hall in 2020?

honestly this story seemed more interesting to me a month ago. Now with this season on the brink (sorry couldn't resist), I've got bigger concerns than whether RMK finally decides to show face again in the Hall. If this season flames out and the fire-CAM argument starts snowballing downhill, we could be heading for yet another coaching change and the program would go through another chaotic multi-year transition. I truly hope this is not the way it all plays out, and had been hopeful that the program had turned the corner. However, I'm beginning to lose hope based on what I've seen over the past month.

Get RMK back in the house to revive the program. Could he be the conduit to Beard if the Archie flameout continues.

Get RMK back in the house to revive the program. Could he be the conduit to Beard if the Archie flameout continues.
Do ya think Justene Smith would play hard if Knight were in attendance??? Ya me neither.

RMK isn't relevant to any fans under about age 40, and certainly not to any current players. RMK is an old man, and reportedly not healthy. I would not want him back in the hall if he's not in full posession of his faculties or not acting of his own will.

Edit: And Beard isn't coming here anytime soon.

Reactions: IUXC68
RMK isn't relevant to any fans under about age 40, and certainly not to any current players. RMK is an old man, and reportedly not healthy. I would not want him back in the hall if he's not in full posession of his faculties or not acting of his own will.

Edit: And Beard isn't coming here anytime soon.
Geez, Bob's not that bad, at least he wasn't when I saw him driving the streets of Bloomington a few weeks ago. That said, as disillusioned as the IU fans are now in coaching, it doesn't seem like a good time for Knight to be introduced back to the AH crowd. It would be disruptive as hell, and not fair to Archie, who's trying to do the best he can with what he has to work with. Distractions aren't needed at this time. Maybe later...if Bob can make it that long.

Bob only acts on one man's will, and it's never been someone else's.

Geez, Bob's not that bad, at least he wasn't when I saw him driving the streets of Bloomington a few weeks ago. That said, as disillusioned as the IU fans are now in coaching, it doesn't seem like a good time for Knight to be introduced back to the AH crowd. It would be disruptive as hell, and not fair to Archie, who's trying to do the best he can with what he has to work with. Distractions aren't needed at this time. Maybe later...if Bob can make it that long.

Glad to hear it. Agree with your assessment as well.

The idea that there is some kind of "hex" or "curse" that needs to be broken by RMK returning to the hall is just more nonsense in line with about 80% of what has been posted here lately.

Glad to hear it. Agree with your assessment as well.

The idea that there is some kind of "hex" or "curse" that needs to be broken by RMK returning to the hall is just more nonsense in line with about 80% of what has been posted here lately.
Both sides just need to quit their childish behavior, unveil a statue in the Ken Nunn Plaza during a special ceremony, whether Bob chooses to accept his invitation or not, and then be done with it, hatchet buried. This tip-toeing around by the IU administration as if Coach Knight never existed, but for the banners, is getting old, literally and figuratively.

I spent many years (decades) defending RMK deep inside Purdue country, and will always respect his accomplishments. But right now, I'm more concerned about our shitty outside shooting and too much I-dont-give-a-focker vibe from the bench. The MD game (actually, our effort, our results) was a travesty, and it's gotten the fire-CAM crowd in full Defcon 1 mode on this board, but I don't know if I can handle another 4-5 yrs of dust settling after another coaching change.

Unless it's Brad...then, well....oh nevermind. Sorry, just can't help myself. What could have been...

Reactions: cshartle123
I spent many years (decades) defending RMK deep inside Purdue country, and will always respect his accomplishments. But right now, I'm more concerned about our shitty outside shooting and too much I-dont-give-a-focker vibe from the bench. The MD game (actually, our effort, our results) was a travesty, and it's gotten the fire-CAM crowd in full Defcon 1 mode on this board, but I don't know if I can handle another 4-5 yrs of dust settling after another coaching change.

Unless it's Brad...then, well....oh nevermind. Sorry, just can't help myself. What could have been...
I think everyone agrees Archie will get a fourth year, but if this experiment doesn’t work it’s time to take a risk on a bigger hire. The amount of time it’s taking is beginning to gash the fanbase and permanently damage the Indiana basketball legacy.

Unless it's Brad...then, well....oh nevermind. Sorry, just can't help myself. What could have been...[/QUOTE]
Brad?...BRAD! Talk about a ship sailed, sunk and out of sight. And to think we had Larry Bird and would have kept him if not for his little ‘ole insecurities. Our chances of Larry coming back suited in candy stripes is just as likely as Stevens roaming the AH sidelines one fine day. Stevens is too rich now for the kind of recruiting hassles it would take. Why go back to training donkey’s after you’ve been racing thoroughbreds?

Brad?...BRAD! Talk about a ship sailed, sunk and out of sight. And to think we had Larry Bird and would have kept him if not for his little ‘ole insecurities. Our chances of Larry coming back suited in candy stripes is just as likely as Stevens roaming the AH sidelines one fine day. Stevens is too rich now for the kind of recruiting hassles it would take. Why go back to training donkey’s after you’ve been racing thoroughbreds?

I know....it was just TIC.

Brad was probably never going to come here. the timing was never right. The second final 4 run (Butler) was 2011, and boy Wonder could have named his price almost anywhere. Crean's 3rd year had just ended (and ended poorly again). Under most circumstances, that 3rd Crean year might have left CTC extremely vulnerable...however he had just signed some skinny kid named Zeller. By the time Cody (and Vic) were leaving IU, Brad was signing his contract with the Celtics. And with that, any ship that might have ever existed, had sailed.

It may have only existed in our minds,...dreams...much like the vaunted pack line defense.

If this season flames out and the fire-CAM argument starts snowballing downhill, we could be heading for yet another coaching change and the program would go through another chaotic multi-year transition. I truly hope this is not the way it all plays out, and had been hopeful that the program had turned the corner. However, I'm beginning to lose hope based on what I've seen over the past month.

Don't fret over losing hope. I mean, nobody ever wants to lose hope in anything. It's not a positive or pleasant thing. But it's often the only rational reaction. If we didn't ever lose hope when what we're doing isn't working, we'd continue doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result (aka, insanity).

I think pretty much every IU fan, including everybody who posts here and elsewhere, has wanted Archie to be successful. I did and still do. I hope that we do as complete an about-face as we did last year (except, of course, that we face the way we want to) and all this talk becomes moot.

But, in the event that doesn't happen and we do have another coaching change either this March or next, don't worry about a transition. Worry instead that we finally hire the right guy and make the right adjustments to get where we want to be. If nothing else, it would give us all cause to have some hope again.

I think everyone agrees Archie will get a fourth year, but if this experiment doesn’t work it’s time to take a risk on a bigger hire. The amount of time it’s taking is beginning to gash the fanbase and permanently damage the Indiana basketball legacy.
You got guys like Bruce Pearl and Scott Drew with top 10 teams at football schools. Basketball is an after thought and those schools yet they are light years ahead of us and we are and always have been a crazed bbal school. Are those guys a bit slimy I guess so but the ncaa does not care. The ncaa has made it clear recruiting in a grey area is allowed. We either pony up on a bruce pearl type continue to stink the next 20 years again.

As don fischer said on the radio he has seen the fans in a state of apathy since zeller left and it continues to get worse. Even if Archie gets the fourth year theapathy will only get worse unless this team somehow can make the tourney and show some signs of promise. If not the fourth year is nothing more than killing time before the new hire.

If he comes back, it ought to be like at the baseball game. Simply as a spectator. I wouldn't want him to speak.about the current status of IU basketball in any fashion, pro-Archie or con-Archie.

Don't fret over losing hope. I mean, nobody ever wants to lose hope in anything. It's not a positive or pleasant thing. But it's often the only rational reaction. If we didn't ever lose hope when what we're doing isn't working, we'd continue doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result (aka, insanity).

I think pretty much every IU fan, including everybody who posts here and elsewhere, has wanted Archie to be successful. I did and still do. I hope that we do as complete an about-face as we did last year (except, of course, that we face the way we want to) and all this talk becomes moot.

But, in the event that doesn't happen and we do have another coaching change either this March or next, don't worry about a transition. Worry instead that we finally hire the right guy and make the right adjustments to get where we want to be. If nothing else, it would give us all cause to have some hope again.
It's a game, for entertainment purpose .. nothing to have or lose hope over.

If he comes back, it ought to be like at the baseball game. Simply as a spectator. I wouldn't want him to speak.about the current status of IU basketball in any fashion, pro-Archie or con-Archie.
He’s already done that, the baseball game, the golf cart thing and all. Hell, he might have even been back to Assembly Hall and we just didn’t know it. How would that be for Bob’s last laugh? Bob’s not going to go out of his way to watch inferior basketball. He recognizes it as soon as he smells it. He doesn’t need to step in it, too.

As don fischer said on the radio he has seen the fans in a state of apathy since zeller left and it continues to get worse. Even if Archie gets the fourth year theapathy will only get worse unless this team somehow can make the tourney and show some signs of promise. If not the fourth year is nothing more than killing time before the new hire.
While Bruce Pearl is a proven coach, I sure hope we don’t hire him. He’s a drama queen. Give me Gregg Marshall.

Yea, she's a bad drunk. He's not very well thought of away from a basketball court.

Good. I'm all for a loud, bad drunk in the crowd. What we have now is so boring I miss crean's psycho, twitchy meltdowns. You said it yourself, it's a game, "for entertainment purpose." Let's bring some entertainment here. Do they even sell booze in assembly hall? I know football started, but what about hoops?

Good. I'm all for a loud, bad drunk in the crowd. What we have now is so boring I miss crean's psycho, twitchy meltdowns. You said it yourself, it's a game, "for entertainment purpose." Let's bring some entertainment here. Do they even sell booze in assembly hall? I know football started, but what about hoops?
Our Assembly Hall entertainment for 29 years was fired nearly 20 years ago. It hasn’t been nearly as entertaining since that time. At this point, booze would only numb the pain without anything ever getting better.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

You describe why RMK likely doesn't want to come back. If he likes Archie, he wouldn't want to draw the attention away from the team. He would likely come if he could sit and watch without a crowd following him around.

I was at the game at Lawrenceville, Ill when RMK came to watch Jay Shidler. My cousin's Red Hill team was playing them and my cousin drew the defensive assignment against Shidler. RMK sat opposite from us and nobody came within 10 feet of him. Ron Felling must have sent a message to leave him alone.

How did my cousin do? He held Shidler to 8 points before fouling out in the 4th quarter. Shidler scored 20 points after my cousin fouled out. If they had a 3 point line he might have scored 30. Most unbelievable quarter I have ever seen. I think Shidler was a little frustrated and took it out on Red Hill. I swear some of his shots were just inside half court.

You describe why RMK likely doesn't want to come back. If he likes Archie, he wouldn't want to draw the attention away from the team. He would likely come if he could sit and watch without a crowd following him around.

I was at the game at Lawrenceville, Ill when RMK came to watch Jay Shidler. My cousin's Red Hill team was playing them and my cousin drew the defensive assignment against Shidler. RMK sat opposite from us and nobody came within 10 feet of him. Ron Felling must have sent a message to leave him alone.

How did my cousin do? He held Shidler to 8 points before fouling out in the 4th quarter. Shidler scored 20 points after my cousin fouled out. If they had a 3 point line he might have scored 30. Most unbelievable quarter I have ever seen. I think Shidler was a little frustrated and took it out on Red Hill. I swear some of his shots were just inside half court.
RMK already gave Miller his stamp of approval. Paraphrased "because this guy can coach"

It would be pretty hard to hide Knight in “the house” without drawing attention. I remember the player, Jay Shidler, in name only. Was he a blond haired kid? Wasn’t Marty Simmons from Lawrenceville, IL, too?

It would be pretty hard to hide Knight in “the house” without drawing attention. I remember the player, Jay Shidler, in name only. Was he a blond haired kid? Wasn’t Marty Simmons from Lawrenceville, IL, too?

Shidler played for Kentucky in the late 70’s, including on their ‘78 NC team.

Yes, Marty was from Lawrenceville. Ron Felling was his HS coach.

Shidler had bleached longer blond hair. He was called the Blond Bomber even in high school. Marty came a few years later. I had a chance to meet Marty and told him about the game I went to. You could see the look of a fan that looked up to a legendary player. Lawrenceville had the Blond Bomber and the Mule a few years later.

Reactions: abraxis
Knight didn’t offer him and he ended up at UK. He absolutely torched IU in A.H. his freshman year. “White Lightning” was his nickname.

Shidler had bleached longer blond hair. He was called the Blond Bomber even in high school. Marty came a few years later. I had a chance to meet Marty and told him about the game I went to. You could see the look of a fan that looked up to a legendary player. Lawrenceville had the Blond Bomber and the Mule a few years later.
The “Blond Bomber” and “The Mule”... that must have been a fun program.

Knight didn’t offer him and he ended up at UK. He absolutely torched IU in A.H. his freshman year. “White Lightning” was his nickname.
Whether “White Lightning” or “Blond Bomber,” he sounds like one tough hombre. He’s the kind of player we miss so dearly today.

Whether “White Lightning” or “Blond Bomber,” he sounds like one tough hombre. He’s the kind of player we miss so dearly today.
He averaged 32.7 ppg his senior year. With his range, he could have averaged 40 ppg easily with the 3 point line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT