ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Purdue is playing great but

IU Scott

Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2014
Greenfield Indiana
Iowa looks totally out of it and don't look like they even wanted to play. I would think Fran's job security is in jeopardy if Iowa keeps playing this way. Right now I think Purdue and Villanova are the two best teams in the country. Right now Purdue is winning by 36 and Villanova is up 30 on UCONN.

Iowa looks totally out of it and don't look like they even wanted to play. I would think Fran's job security is in jeopardy if Iowa keeps playing this way. Right now I think Purdue and Villanova are the two best teams in the country. Right now Purdue is winning by 36 and Villanova is up 30 on UCONN.
Crean to Iowa next year?

[QUOTE
="bsmitty08, post: 2317779, member: 4876"]Purdue is legit this year...field is wide open. I could see one of...Purdue, Villanova, Duke, arizona and Michigan st winning it all[/QUOTE]

Agree, with OSU being a dark horse. That team just keeps getting better and better as the year goes along. Very impressive job by Holtmann.

The Big Ten is really, really bad this year. It’s been collapsing for quite a few years now but this might be the bottom. Hard to see it getting any worse than this.

That said, Purdue is an absolute contender this year. If I had to predict I’d say they’ll pull a Purdue and go out in the S16, but this might be their best chance to make a run in 20+ years. Porkchop has definitely saved his job.

Reactions: Chet Jr.
That said, Purdue is an absolute contender this year. If I had to predict I’d say they’ll pull a Purdue and go out in the S16, but this might be their best chance to make a run in 20+ years. Porkchop has definitely saved his job.

The Big Ten is bad this year. How many wins do they have against the top 25?

You know what you are getting from Painter at this point, and it doesn't include going further than the Sweet 16. I'm perfectly fine with Painter sticking around as long as he wants. PU never has the top to bottom elite talent to take them far in the NCAA's. If they didn't do it last year with Swanigan, it ain't happening.

You know what you are getting from Painter at this point, and it doesn't include going further than the Sweet 16. I'm perfectly fine with Painter sticking around as long as he wants. PU never has the top to bottom elite talent to take them far in the NCAA's. If they didn't do it last year with Swanigan, it ain't happening.
I always say that but I think they are better this year than they were last year. I think they play well as a team and will do well against teams that just win on young talent. To me if they play UK, KU and Duke this year they will beat them. To me teams like W. Virginia, Villanova and Virginia could be teams that gives Purdue trouble.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I always say that but I think they are better this year than they were last year. I think they play well as a team and will do well against teams that just win on young talent. To me if they play UK, KU and Duke this year they will beat them. To me teams like W. Virginia, Villanova and Virginia could be teams that gives Purdue trouble.
KU had superior talent last year and blew them out of the gym: how would they do any better without Swanigan, the only elite talent Painter has ever recruited?

Painter has been there 12 years now. How many times do you have to see it? Goodness.

Legit for sure .Very few keep 4 senior 's around.
I say they go out in the elite eight.
But if they're bracket opens up.Which happens a lot anymore.
That Boiler Up crap could be seen at the f.f.

KU had superior talent last year and blew them out of the gym: how would they do any better without Swanigan, the only elite talent Painter has ever recruited?

Painter has been there 12 years now. How many times do you have to see it? Goodness.
Have you watched KU this year because they lost there best players last year and lost their best recruit. They play 6-7 players and have no inside depth at all.

and the funny thing is, Broilee alumni and fans would still chant "IU sucks" at the FF. Little brother will always be little brother.

12 jimmygoiu, 1 minute ago
Legit for sure .Very few keep 4 senior 's around.
I say they go out in the elite eight.
But if they're bracket opens up.Which happens a lot anymore.
That Boiler Up crap could be seen at the f.f.[/QUOT

Already beat WVA in their 'secret scrimmage' 88-77.

Purdue is really good but I don't know if they can go to another level. They don't beat the MSU team we saw last night. Purdue's downfall, if it happens, will be an athletic team that plays in a way that forces officials to decide what they're going to call vs what they will allow.

[QUOTE
="bsmitty08, post: 2317779, member: 4876"]Purdue is legit this year...field is wide open. I could see one of...Purdue, Villanova, Duke, arizona and Michigan st winning it all

Agree, with OSU being a dark horse. That team just keeps getting better and better as the year goes along. Very impressive job by Holtmann.[/QUOTE]
Google Gardner Webb and Holtmann

They have more top wins than any other team in D1.

Purdue is legit this year...field is wide open. I could see one of...Purdue, Villanova, Duke, arizona and Michigan st winning it all
Substitute Xavier for Arizona.

Trevon Bluiett and JP Macura, along with Grad transfer Kerem Kanter make the Musketeers a team to watch come tourney time. They play great D and if they get on a roll watch out.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Purdue is really good but I don't know if they can go to another level. They don't beat the MSU team we saw last night. Purdue's downfall, if it happens, will be an athletic team that plays in a way that forces officials to decide what they're going to call vs what they will allow.
I watched MSU vs IU and honestly I'm not that worried about them. I'm more worried about the OSU game.

Last edited:
Substitute Xavier for Arizona.

Trevon Bluiett and JP Macura, along with Grad transfer Kerem Kanter make the Musketeers a team to watch come tourney time. They play great D and if they get on a roll watch out.
Something just does feel right with Arizona and they just don't seem to play well together. A couple of weeks ago Miller even stated this team was hard to coach and that they don't play for him.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Personally don't think Painter is a guy that can get them there, Elite 8 is his ceiling.

What is your basis for this?

I watched MSU vs IU and honestly I'm not that worried about them. I'm more worried about the OSU game.
Sparty has more elite talent than PU has had in my lifetime and a better coach than PU has ever had. That should be concerning on some pretty important levels.

Scott I would like to say I appreciate reading your posts. You don't let your loyalty to your team blind you from seeing reality and making fair observations. As a Purdue fan I'm just taking it game by game. Our history of underachieving in tournament time will be so until proven otherwise.

Sparty has more elite talent than PU has had in my lifetime and a better coach than PU has ever had. That should be concerning on some pretty important levels.
You are going to love the beat down you get on the home court next Sunday from the subpar talent, enjoy!

Arizona has every bit as elite talent as Michigan State and we didn't do so bad against them.

Quit soiling this board with PU references.

You are going to love the beat down you get on the home court next Sunday from the subpar talent, enjoy!

That may indeed happen. Your Natty after all. Plus despite so few seeing your team play, the record is impressive.

Unfortunately for you after that 15 minutes passes you will still just be a little embittered IU-obsessed Purdue fan. Enjoy.

Better coach? Better results in March for sure, but Izzo has always had superior talent. Anytime the talent levels have been similar, Painters teams have won. Painter has a senior laden team for the first time in forever and it's showing just how good of a coach he really is. Purdue is the only team in the country that is top 10 in offense and defense. I think MSU can beat us for sure, but I'm not sweating in my boots over them. Hell not only top 10 in O and D but top 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
Better coach? Better results in March for sure, but Izzo has always had superior talent. Anytime the talent levels have been similar, Painters teams have won. Painter has a senior laden team for the first time in forever and it's showing just how good of a coach he really is. Purdue is the only team in the country that is top 10 in offense and defense. I think MSU can beat us for sure, but I'm not sweating in my boots over them.
Tom Izzo owns Painter in every measurable way that matters. Why in the hell can't Painter recruit like Izzo? Sucking at recruiting isn't an excuse.

Tom Izzo owns Painter in every measurable way that matters. Why in the hell can't Painter recruit like Izzo? Sucking at recruiting isn't an excuse.
I don't know about Izzo, but Painter doesn't cheat for recruits. There are a lot of people out there that believes Izzo cheats, but I'll reserve my judgement until there's evidence. A lot of teams do though and I'm hoping the FBI investigation cleans a lot of it up.

Reactions: Bill4411
I don't know about Izzo, but Painter doesn't cheat for recruits. There are a lot of people out there that believes Izzo cheats, but I'll reserve my judgement until there's evidence. A lot of teams do though and I'm hoping the FBI investigation cleans a lot of it up.
Izzo is a cheater because he's a better coach and recruiter? Lol. What a sorry-ass excuse.

and Western Kentucky

That was exactly your petty little dig.
I take that as a yes since that wasn't what I said at all, in fact the opposite.

Let me spell it out for you. The entire point of my post was to explain to you why Painter hasn't recruited better. I said he isn't a cheater. Knowing full well you'd probably assume I was saying Izzo was, I spelled out how some people think that he is, but I wasn't going to claim that without evidence. If that still doesn't compute for you, then I guess I can't help you.

Reactions: richar2013
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT