ADVERTISEMENT

OT Pfau: Who has played and thoughts?

Courtsensetwo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2004
My first round at Pfau was three weeks ago. Interested in thoughts from others.

High ratings for a new course and listed as #4 among college courses nationally. Pfau is built on beautiful natural terraine and is a million mile upgrade from the previous poorly managed track. Warren at ND is more mature and polished while Kampen at PU is friendlier to the average golfer.

Pfau can be stretched to 7900 at the tips for the big boys. Would suggest playing one tee forward for your first round. Keeping the ball on the generous zoysia fairways is critical particularly off of the tees as the rough is brutal. I honestly think they should cut it back for non-varsity season just to keep people from looking for balls for too long. It slows play. First three holes P5, long P4 and downhill P3 will get your attention early.

Greens were fast and tight. They don't hold approach shots well if you cannot spin the ball. Bunkers are everywhere and tough. We found them to vary in sand depth which is something i think they will address aff season. Overall a very tough course for the average hacker and a welcome challenge for the low handicap players.

Clubhouse was a bit underwhelming and seemed institutuional.

this is a brand new course so there are things they will work on. Some drainage issues, inconsistent sand, some cart path work...all things you would expect. Three years from now Pfau should be spectacular and certainly among the best collegiate courses in the country if it isn't already and many experts think it is.

It was $80 to play which is good as it will keep the slow play hacker traffic down.

Other experiences?

High ratings for a new course and listed as #4 among college courses nationally. Pfau is built on beautiful natural terraine and is a million mile upgrade from the previous poorly managed track. Warren at ND is more mature and polished while Kampen at PU is friendlier to the average golfer.

Pfau can be stretched to 7900 at the tips for the big boys. Would suggest playing one tee forward for your first round. Keeping the ball on the generous zoysia fairways is critical particularly off of the tees as the rough is brutal. I honestly think they should cut it back for non-varsity season just to keep people from looking for balls for too long. It slows play. First three holes P5, long P4 and downhill P3 will get your attention early.

Greens were fast and tight. They don't hold approach shots well if you cannot spin the ball. Bunkers are everywhere and tough. We found them to vary in sand depth which is something i think they will address aff season. Overall a very tough course for the average hacker and a welcome challenge for the low handicap players.

this is a brand new course so there are things they will work on. Some drainage issues, inconsistent sand, some cart path work...all things you would expect. Three years from now Pfau should be spectacular and certainly among the best collegiate courses in the country if it isn't already and many experts think it is.

It was $80 to play which is good as it will keep the slow play hacker traffic down.

Other experiences?
I play often, might go today. It is precision golf. I use a lot of irons, and lay up a lot. Greens are insane. Depends on the day, but 25% of the time they are the fastest greens I’ve ever played. I can’t tell you how many shots from 150+ out I have hit that I thought were amazing, only to see the ball in a trap or off the green. I am a bogey golfer tho, and I have never broke 90 on the Pfau.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I play often, might go today. It is precision golf. I use a lot of irons, and lay up a lot. Greens are insane. Depends on the day, but 25% of the time they are the fastest greens I’ve ever played. I can’t tell you how many shots from 150+ out I have hit that I thought were amazing, only to see the ball in a trap or off the green. I am a bogey golfer tho, and I have never broke 90 on the Pfau.
Looks like only late afternoon available.

Played twice this summer, fantastic course, greens are challenging, fairways are manageable

Absolutely phenomenal course, and will only get better over the next few years. As others have said, the key is to keep the ball in the fairways and do not be afraid to layup on a few holes. So much depends on if you pick the correct tees, as it plays even longer than the card as many holes play up hill. I was fortunate enough to get down there 3 times last year, however, only 1 trip this year.

Greens are fast like has been mentioned, but the one inconsistency I have found is the sand--unfortunantly I had experience in many of them! Like someone said earlier I am around a bogie golfer and have broke 90 once, and been in triple digits once

Played it in June on the way to French Lick. Thought it was an absolutely amazing layout. Very tough..... but still felt fair. Played in 30-40mph wind, shot 84. Felt like a 74. We played whatever tees that were like 6500-6600 range. It does play longer than the yardage, so moving up a tee from your normal game is probably advisable. Some of the holes are monsters, thought the front 9 was prettier than the back.

They do have some drainage issues on several fairways that they need to deal with. Also the rough is pretty terrible... but I'm sure will grow in over coming years. If they are able to maintain it at a high level, gonna be something really special in a few years. In many ways liked it better than the Dye course at FL.

I would say grabbing a yardage book is a must, as picking lines of the tees is very tough if you don't know the course. They really should add cart GPS. There were a few holes that were aim and pray that you picked the right line.

Last edited:

Other experiences?

Played 2 times this year. Played blues first time, which is 6700. Love the layout and enjoy the thought that needs to go into each shot. But got surprised a few times not knowing the hole or green. Shot 84.

Played again last Friday from the whites, about 6200. Moved up with the group. Greens were much better and again, had to think about shot placement quite a bit. Knew the greens better but forgot on 16 that I can't hit driver. Into the crap I went. Finished with a 79.

Played 2 times this year. Played blues first time, which is 6700. Love the layout and enjoy the thought that needs to go into each shot. But got surprised a few times not knowing the hole or green. Shot 84.

Played again last Friday from the whites, about 6200. Moved up with the group. Greens were much better and again, had to think about shot placement quite a bit. Knew the greens better but forgot on 16 that I can't hit driver. Into the crap I went. Finished with a 79.
Nice rounds on that course.

Reactions: ribbont
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT