ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NBA Draft is 10 days away. Thoughts on the Pacers anyone?

rastamarti

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2002
It's apparent that Willie Cauley-Stein will not likely be available at 11 for the Pacers. I'm going to take a wild guess the Pacers will not move up in the draft to acquire him. I think the general consensus is the Pacers greatest needs are post players and point guard. This year's draft is unusually deep with post players. There's potential long term starters, after a year or two of seasoning, that are currently projected as late 1st round or early to mid 2nd round picks. There's also some quality point guard prospects in this year's draft.

You certainly don't want to miss with the 11th pick. In my mind, the primary goal for the 11th pick would be to get a guy that can contribute right away. That being the case, my number 1 target for the 11th pick in the draft is: Bobby Portis. He's got the size to play PF in the NBA. He continues to improve and he's one of most efficient post players in the draft. I'd also give Frank Kaminsky a look if he's available but Frank seems to be moving up draft boards lately, not sure he's going to be available at 11.

The Pacers 2nd round pick is also intriguing. PG prospects will be slim pickens when the 43rd pick rolls around. That being the case, keep stocking up on post players. One guy you can't pass on if he's available at 43 is Dakari Johnson. He's got the size to play C in the NBA. If Hibbert doesn't opt out, which doesn't appear to be likely, Portis can learn from big Roy for a year, work on his body and his game without a great deal of pressure and there's a small chance he could contribute his rookie year. Given the limited minutes, he was quite productive in the time he got at UK.

Any thoughts Pacers fans?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News