ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Michigan coach headed to Clemson...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Clemson is hiring UM's Erik Bakich as its new head coach after spending 10 years with the Wolverines. He replaces Monte Lee who was fired after Clemson failed to make the NCAAs for the 2nd straight season. Clemson got off to that big start to the season by sweeping IU in three games and went 14-0 before losing their first game, but they ended up 35-23 on the season. Notre Dame's Link Jarrett is considered the front runner to take over the Florida State job after the Seminoles fired Mike Martin Jr. after three seasons there. The Noles had winning seasons the past two years and made the NCAAs, but that wasn't good enough for the school and the fans. Martin had his first season with them canceled because of Covid after starting the season 12-5.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk30
Clemson is hiring UM's Erik Bakich as its new head coach after spending 10 years with the Wolverines. He replaces Monte Lee who was fired after Clemson failed to make the NCAAs for the 2nd straight season. Clemson got off to that big start to the season by sweeping IU in three games and went 14-0 before losing their first game, but they ended up 35-23 on the season. Notre Dame's Link Jarrett is considered the front runner to take over the Florida State job after the Seminoles fired Mike Martin Jr. after three season there. The Noles had winning seasons the past two years and made the NCAAs, but that wasn't good enough for the school and the fans. Martin had his first season with them canceled because of Covid after starting the season 12-5.
I'm shocked that Martin Jr. was fired so quickly.

Reactions: jsglenn4
Clemson is hiring UM's Erik Bakich as its new head coach after spending 10 years with the Wolverines. He replaces Monte Lee who was fired after Clemson failed to make the NCAAs for the 2nd straight season. Clemson got off to that big start to the season by sweeping IU in three games and went 14-0 before losing their first game, but they ended up 35-23 on the season. Notre Dame's Link Jarrett is considered the front runner to take over the Florida State job after the Seminoles fired Mike Martin Jr. after three season there. The Noles had winning seasons the past two years and made the NCAAs, but that wasn't good enough for the school and the fans. Martin had his first season with them canceled because of Covid after starting the season 12-5.
Clemson going to be a tough gig for Bakich, they want results now and the ACC is really good.

His first trip around the ACC with Maryland wasn’t successful, maybe this one will go better. My hope is he doesn’t abandon his position regarding a later season start. The MLB draft is later now and that is lo longer an obstacle and the CWS could easily go a couple weeks later.

Might even open up Indy as a host for B1G tourney ;)

The probability of that is likely very low at this point. I did hear OSU had looked into Skip though FWIW.
I agree with you on the coaching situation and said my gut feeling at the end of the season was that there were not going to be any changes to the coaching staff. OSU ended up signing TCU's long-time assistant coach Bill Mosiello as their next head coach.

I agree with you on the coaching situation and said my gut feeling at the end of the season was that there were not going to be any changes to the coaching staff. OSU ended up signing TCU's long-time assistant coach Bill Mosiello as their next head coach.
Saw that, good move for OSU. Lots of top assistants in really good conferences are long overdue for a Head Coaching position.

No chance. Not at the HC spot at least. And given the number of pitchers already brought in, I’d say none on the PC side either.
Well, the pitching staff did finish on an up note, I guess. But damn. That was a painful season to watch. If he stays, I hope he’s learned a few things along the way.

Reactions: ulrey
Skip? As in Tracy Smith? I’m not sure Jeff Mercer has earned that title yet.
FWIW, I did see Tracy Smith's name floated around about the OSU job, but according to the sources in that article, the Buckeyes never seriously considered him. His name will probably pop up every time there is a major job opening up in the Midwest.

Well, the pitching staff did finish on an up note, I guess. But damn. That was a painful season to watch. If he stays, I hope he’s learned a few things along the way.
Yes, there was improvement to some of the bullpen pitchers as the season wore on, especially with Bothwell and Sharp who were disasters early on but became pretty effective at the end of the season. The same can't be said for Modugno and Stahl who struggled from start to finish after having good seasons last year, and the season ending loss to Rutgers bore that out.

Last edited:
I’m not, FSU is serious about their baseball program.
As expected, once the Irish were eliminated at the CWS, FSU hired Link Jarrett as their next head coach, so ND is coach shopping. As a player, Jarrett was an All-America shortstop at FSU and also served three years as an assistant coach there under Mike Martin Sr. I haven't seen any updates on UM's head coach search, but saw they were down to four candidates.

Most recent info I have seen wrt Michigan. Also saw a note somewhere that Paul Mainieri, most recently at LSU, “closed” the door on a return to Notre Dame although he spoke very highly of his time there.

Reactions: ptrich
In a battle of keeping up with the Joneses in the SEC, I saw an article just posted a couple of hours ago that LSU is going to pay their new pitching coach $750,000 after luring him midseason from the Twins. The Twins were paying him $350,000. Sources have said that MLB is losing coaching and scouting talent to the college ranks for a variety of reasons, including better compensation, greater control, and reduced travel and scrutiny. Here's a link to the article:

In a battle of keeping up with the Joneses in the SEC, I saw an article just posted a couple of hours ago that LSU is going to pay their new pitching coach $750,000 after luring him midseason from the Twins. The Twins were paying him $350,000. Sources have said that MLB is losing coaching and scouting talent to the college ranks for a variety of reasons, including better compensation, greater control, and reduced travel and scrutiny. Here's a link to the article:

😂 not just coaches, I recently heard that LSU got the coveted transfer Tommy “Tanks” White from NCSt on a 7-figure NIL deal. That’s just for a transfer. It’s going to be hard for smaller conferences to compete in the future landscape of college athletics, baseball included.

I just saw an update on the Michigan coaching search which came out today, and it said that the primary candidates at this point appear to be the SD Padres hitting coach and former Wolverine standout player Michael Brdar and Central Michigan's head coach Jordan Bischel. It also stated that don't be surprised if Tracy Smith comes up for the job also. Detroit Tigers pitching coach Chris Fetter removed himself from consideration and UConn head coach Jim Penders just signed a new five-year contract extension with the Huskies which removed him from consideration.

Northwestern got Jim Foster who has been successful at Army. They have some key kids from this year’s team in the portal that he needs to keep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT