ADVERTISEMENT

(OT): Memphis and Penny in Trouble

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
Color me un-surprised

I'm sure the NC-double-a-holes have everything under control. Apparently you can cheat egregiously at certain schools (North Carolina, Arizona, LSU, Kansas, etc) but as long as Penny didn't make too many phone calls he should be okay. (RME)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4IUSox2
Lol. How do they choose who they go after and who they let slide. I would hope It is at least by coin toss.

Don’t admit to anything. UNC gave grades away. No problem. FBI recorded payments by Arizona? You go Zona! Admit to three way phone calls to recruits that went elsewhere anyway? Throw the book.
so true....incredibly sad....but so true

Don’t admit to anything. UNC gave grades away. No problem. FBI recorded payments by Arizona? You go Zona! Admit to three way phone calls to recruits that went elsewhere anyway? Throw the book.
The NCAA didn't throw the book, IU threw the book at themselves.

The repercussions over the Sampson debacle were all 100% IU's fault. They handled it terribly.

Sampson fault not iu
The "repercussions" over the Sampson debacle happened when he was already fired. It wasn't his fault that IU imposed their own version of the death penalty on themselves.

Looking back I wish Sampson was still here, we'd likely have a few titles by now. Unfortunately the "holier than thou" administration and fanbase would go into an outrage in response to actually winning something.

The "repercussions" over the Sampson debacle happened when he was already fired. It wasn't his fault that IU imposed their own version of the death penalty on themselves.

Looking back I wish Sampson was still here, we'd likely have a few titles by now. Unfortunately the "holier than thou" administration and fanbase would go into an outrage in response to actually winning something.
I get it. Great coach but it wasn't just phone calls. He lied to everyone about grades and failed drug tests.

I get it. Great coach but it wasn't just phone calls. He lied to everyone about grades and failed drug tests.
Let me ask you this, is he any worse than Sean Miller at Arizona? Bill Self at Kansas? Kentucky and Coach Calipari? Roy Williams at North Carolina and their fake classes? The difference is that those schools didn't throw their coach under the bus. Ours did and in doing so guaranteed years and years of horrible basketball afterwards.

Winning is winning, and some schools care about it more than others. At IU it's secondary behind "doing things the right way" or whatever the hell that means.

Lately for IU it's meant a whole lot of losing.

While I have some sympathy with what you’re saying, Sampson got hit with a show-cause. In order for him to have remained at IU, we’d have had to cover up the discovered infraction. Not a good idea, to say the least.

IU had no choice. And Sampson gave them no choice, unfortunately.

The NCAA didn't throw the book, IU threw the book at themselves.

The repercussions over the Sampson debacle were all 100% IU's fault. They handled it terribly.
Yep but it's so iu. Just like the current fife deal. Make a spectacle of it by having a leaker start a smear campaign. IU finds it hard to do anything the right way.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Let me ask you this, is he any worse than Sean Miller at Arizona? Bill Self at Kansas? Kentucky and Coach Calipari? Roy Williams at North Carolina and their fake classes? The difference is that those schools didn't throw their coach under the bus. Ours did and in doing so guaranteed years and years of horrible basketball afterwards.

Winning is winning, and some schools care about it more than others. At IU it's secondary behind "doing things the right way" or whatever the hell that means.

Lately for IU it's meant a whole lot of losing.
Did any of those coaches get hired while they were already under investigation? We hired a coach who already had a dark cloud over him. He was also the President of the NABC when they agreed to the rules he violated and the NCAA wanted to make an example of him. Those other coaches you mentioned, except Miller, we’re also smart enough to distance themselves from their misdeeds but Sampson was right in the middle of it.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Yep but it's so iu. Just like the current fife deal. Make a spectacle of it by having a leaker start a smear campaign. IU finds it hard to do anything the right way.
It's because we have a large contingent of writers and alums that all want their piece of the pie. Many of them couldn't care less if IU ever wins another game as long as they can get a few clicks on their latest bs article or radio show.

Whether it's the outrage over Sampson's texts, Bob Krapshit's article on Romeo's shoes, Rabjohns investment in Crean during his last season when it was obvious to everyone he should have been fired, Fife ect... the list goes on and on.

Our program has become a joke that isn't even worth laughing at.

Did any of those coaches get hired while they were already under investigation? We hired a coach who already had a dark cloud over him. He was also the President of the NABC when they agreed to the rules he violated and the NCAA wanted to make an example of him. Those other coaches you mentioned, except Miller, we’re also smart enough to distance themselves from their misdeeds but Sampson was right in the middle of it.
Well considering Calipari had already left two schools with sanctions before he was hired I would say there was a pretty dark cloud over him.

Either way, I'm different from many on this board when it comes to this topic. I would much rather see IU win in the gray area than lose "doing things the right way".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT