ADVERTISEMENT

OT - IU Men's Soccer dominates kY to move into Round of 16

Mushroom's idea of making the goal bigger is not a bad idea except that it would make the game more difficult for Americans in international play.
However, a goal that is 10ft high and 1ft wider would increase scoring and draw more high level athletes into the game.

If you can convince FIFA to make that a universal rule, I'm in.

Americans want to see more scoring as a general rule Ive heard over the years. 3-2 or 4-3 games are highly entertaining but 0-0 ties in freezing rain are often not so much.

IU likes to attack and is one of the more fun teams to watch.

So the only things slowing down the draw are low scoring and not enough big world class athletes vs football/basketball.

The problem is that it's played in too many different countries to get agreement.

My solution would be to not give two s***s about international play. Change it here and let them follow us, if they so chose.

It was a great season for IU despite the loss today. Remember they lost 10 of 11 starters from last year's final 4 team, including the National Player of the year (Gutman). It's just tough to replace that much lost talent. These Hoosiers will be back and tougher next year.

Soccer and the NBA for you........a poor lost soul
Both great to watch.
NBA
HS Basketball
College Basketball
MLB
College Soccer
College Baseball
HS Baseball
Premier League Soccer
Indy Car
WOO
College Football
HS Soccer
NFL
HS Football

It was a great season... Hoosiers will be back and tougher next year.

"Sloppy ball control ends season for IU men’s soccer"

And the loss was a perfect example of what comes across as flawed results. The game was controlled by UCSB for the bulk of the first half, IU lean in the second and IU dominated the 1st OT then in 2nd OT one miss handled pass and IU's out. It's so difficult to just get a shot (we had 12 vs 6), or shot on goal (2 v 3), much less a shot that scores in soccer that too often games are decided by fluke events or penalty kicks. Quality of play isn't always rewarded.

If you want to fix soccer either have more games (like best 2/3)

Or you can make changes like expand the net, move back the penalty kicks, maybe adopt a two-line pass and/or blue-line for off-sides like in hockey. Personally, I'd just eliminate or make the GT's position players for OT. Teams would crowd the net and probably hand ball if it comes to that but it would more appropriately reward team play.

And before you trash me, yes I played (not at this level) and yes I still like soccer and yes I've been on both sides of this ... lost when we dominated, won when were dominated.

All depends on how many of the talented freshman come back. Penn, Morris, and Bezerra could all go pro right now.

College soccer really hasn't taken off in the last 10-15 years, and this seems to be the reason why.......comparing college baseball to college soccer, it seems more and more kids are opting for college baseball over the pro draft, while more and more soccer players are opting for the MLS or other development situations.............

College soccer really hasn't taken off in the last 10-15 years, and this seems to be the reason why.......comparing college baseball to college soccer, it seems more and more kids are opting for college baseball over the pro draft, while more and more soccer players are opting for the MLS or other development situations.............
Interesting post. i think i would agree with you that men's college soccer hasn't taken off during this period. women have as a result of title ix. but i think it's the same reason why men's is stuck. arguably two of the three biggest states for soccer (florida and texas) don't have their flagship schools even play soccer. u of texas, u of miami, u of florida, florida state - none have men's soccer programs.
the other problems with college soccer are there are only 9 scholarships and the season is only 16 or 17 games. there's been talk about carrying the season over two semesters (Fall and spring) for some time. because as it stands 16 games a season doesn't do much to develop players and is a big part of why we aren't progressing at the national and international levels.

Interesting post. i think i would agree with you that men's college soccer hasn't taken off during this period. women have as a result of title ix. but i think it's the same reason why men's is stuck. arguably two of the three biggest states for soccer (florida and texas) don't have their flagship schools even play soccer. u of texas, u of miami, u of florida, florida state - none have men's soccer programs.
the other problems with college soccer are there are only 9 scholarships and the season is only 16 or 17 games. there's been talk about carrying the season over two semesters (Fall and spring) for some time. because as it stands 16 games a season doesn't do much to develop players and is a big part of why we aren't progressing at the national and international levels.
McMurtry: How do the scholarships get divided up if there are only 9 to go around and 30 players on the roster, as IU had this year? Do some guys get full rides or does everyone get an equal amount? I'm assuming several of those 30 guys are walk-ons/practice squad players, who get no assistance. Curious what you know.

McMurtry: How do the scholarships get divided up if there are only 9 to go around and 30 players on the roster, as IU had this year? Do some guys get full rides or does everyone get an equal amount? I'm assuming several of those 30 guys are walk-ons/practice squad players, who get no assistance. Curious what you know.
guys actually get 9.9 and girls get 14. coaches can do anything they want. when i played (not iu difft school) we had 4 star players who got full rides. then about a dozen guys split the remaining 5.9 scholarships. some got tuition. some got $1,500. it can be divided any way the coach desires. as for the guys who get little or no scholarship money they are sol or the athletic dept helps them in other ways: manipulates financial aid, makes them a resident if it's a public school, gets them on campus jobs. D1 soccer isn't a lot of money for most kids. they're better off just getting good grades in school than believing what all these clubs and academies are "selling" about soccer scholarships down the road.

Reactions: minneman
guys actually get 9.9 and girls get 14. coaches can do anything they want. when i played (not iu difft school) we had 4 star players who got full rides. then about a dozen guys split the remaining 5.9 scholarships. some got tuition. some got $1,500. it can be divided any way the coach desires. as for the guys who get little or no scholarship money they are sol or the athletic dept helps them in other ways: manipulates financial aid, makes them a resident if it's a public school, gets them on campus jobs. D1 soccer isn't a lot of money for most kids. they're better off just getting good grades in school than believing what all these clubs and academies are "selling" about soccer scholarships down the road.
Interesting stuff. Thanks.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT