ADVERTISEMENT

OT I was very happy to see the Nets lose to the Bucks

I don't like these Super Teams being assembled by the players in big markets. A small market team beat the Super Team.

Ditto for the Lakers and now if the Clippers fall...

NYC and LA now attract players that want to work on their "brand"
I want to see Harden K.D. and Irving ..Even LBJ just to watch him lose though..
Heck if Bird was in NBA now he'd be working his brand 100%..
That's just the world we live in now..

Reactions: kkott

The only brand Bird worked on was gutting out wins for the Celts. He had that old fashioned attitude of loyalty to the brand of the team he played for.

I never really liked watching Harden play basketball, let alone sell crap from his last GQ feature, and I am a Rockets fan. His step back three was an abomination with respect to travel rules. I guess the league considers him above the rules. Hey, it's not basketball it's entertainment. Good he was injured or his usual playoff choke broadcast in full HD would have been terrible for his brand.

Last edited:
I...was very happy to have had no idea the Bucs and Nets were even playing.

But...please do keep posting the fan fights...I have no allegiance except to watching drunk white trash pound on each other.

Reactions: Always So Classy
The only brand Bird worked on was gutting out wins for the Celts. He had that old fashioned attitude of loyalty to the brand of the team he played for.

I never really liked watching Harden play basketball, let alone sell crap from his last GQ feature, and I am a Rockets fan. His step back three was an abomination with respect to travel rules. I guess the league considers him above the rules. Hey, it's not basketball it's entertainment. Good he was injured or his usual playoff choke broadcast in full HD would have been terrible for his brand.
But, in fairness, it was the only "brand" he had to work on. The old-timers weren't any more selfless, but the way to bigger paydays and endorsements was winning back then. They didn't have the free agency climate, 100 million contracts and social media stuff these guys do. I think it's ignorant to think the old guard would have done anything different. When MJ and Air Jordan became a brand, he became bigger than the team and had to start dealing with that. Larry, Isiah, Dr J, Magic, etc... would have all likely been in similar positions.

In the movie Blue Chips Pete Bell on his final speech to the media talked about the business side, the dirty side and he concluded, "Whatever this is, it is not basketball." They can work on their brand if they want but when fans think there is collusion going on that the other teams in the league don't matter because they are not in high markets it is doing to cause fans to leave very fast. One thing I liked about the Warrior teams was a lot of those guys were drafted by the Warriors. Now KD did come in after they already won championships. But how did a lot of fans view him? "He couldn't beat the Warriors while in OK City so he just joined them. What a schmuck". It wasn't a good look. If basketball players are worried about their personal brands then they better start thinking about the big picture or they won't have an opportunity to even have a brand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT