ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Caleb Porter leaves Portland . . .

. . . despite the success. https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/11/21/caleb-porter-portland-timbers-future

What do y'all think the odds are that he ends up (a) back in the college ranks, or (b) taking over the USMNT?

(a) I would be shocked to see him back in the college ranks.
(b) I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with the USMNT though if Sunil Gulati is re-elected in February, I suspect he'll pursue a bigger, foreign name.

Personally, I'd love to see him move abroad. He's won two conference titles and an MLS Cup. I don't know that he's got anything left to prove here. I believe he has the ability to be a top flight manager in Europe one day should he choose to pursue that course, but he's married and I believe has young children so he may not want to start down a path which could involve so many moves.

It would be hard to justify firing Yeagley when we are #2 in the country but if Porter wanted to come home you make the move.
Nobody named Yeagley will ever get fired from IU. why would you fire Todd anyway? He won a national title and may add a 2nd one in a few weeks. He'll be at IU as long as he wants to.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Porter is that good!!! He'd compete every year for the ship at IU. I mean be a favorite, as IU is this yr, but do it every year. USA should hire him asap!

Reactions: IUGQ and IUgradman
Nobody named Yeagley will ever get fired from IU. why would you fire Todd anyway? He won a national title and may add a 2nd one in a few weeks. He'll be at IU as long as he wants to.
hadn't Frei won a national title too when Glass fired him? thought that's how it went down, not sure though

hadn't Frei won a national title too when Glass fired him? thought that's how it went down, not sure though

Absolutely Freitag won a title in 04 year after Jerry Yeagley left using Yeagley's players. After that the next 5 years were some of the worst in history by IU soccer standards resulting in 1 embarrassing tourney loss after another in games we had zero business losing. Say what you want about Yeagley but outside of 2014, every tourney loss has been to higher seed or closely ranked team who was equally talented.

Todd's National Title was entirely of his own doing unlike Freitag. Todd is not the best coach in the world but he is very good and light years better than Freitag.

Absolutely Freitag won a title in 04 year after Jerry Yeagley left using Yeagley's players. After that the next 5 years were some of the worst in history by IU soccer standards resulting in 1 embarrassing tourney loss after another in games we had zero business losing. Say what you want about Yeagley but outside of 2014, every tourney loss has been to higher seed or closely ranked team who was equally talented.

Todd's National Title was entirely of his own doing unlike Freitag. Todd is not the best coach in the world but he is very good and light years better than Freitag.
I couldn't remember how soon after Senior's retirement it was that Frei won his natty

From what I remember too, the players didn't really care for Frei. In defense of him though, it's tough to follow a legend even in a lower profile sport like men's soccer.

Because Porter is the Brad Stevens of soccer coaches.
We have a very good chance at winning our second title in 5 years under Yeagley. 3 wins away from it, actually. Unless you seriously believe Porter would come in and start winning a national title 4 out of every 5 years or something, this is a completely asinine discussion.

Reactions: ahcollin
Yes, but his resume went down hill fast. Yeagley has us in the top 10 every year and we are close to getting his second title in 5 years.

We have a very good chance at winning our second title in 5 years under Yeagley. 3 wins away from it, actually. Unless you seriously believe Porter would come in and start winning a national title 4 out of every 5 years or something, this is a completely asinine discussion.
Agree 100%. It's ridiculous to think that Caleb Porter would be the guy to blow up the IU soccer family by taking Todd's job. They were teammates for a year or two and on the same coaching staff for a while under Jerry. Todd will be the coach as long as he wants-especially if he wins 3 more games this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT