ADVERTISEMENT

OT Butler loses incoming Freshman

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
Just saw on the Indy Star site that Cooper Neese from Cloverdale is transferring before the season starts.
He stated it wasn't necessarily the coaching change which makes it even more odd.
I've seen the kid play,he's a player and will do well wherever he lands.
If I recall,they also have no verbals yet for next year,tough times for the Bulldogs.

Reactions: strats and Lucy01
Please wait while I shed a tear. Butler being out of the competitive picture is just fine by me! Now we just need to take out Purdue and Notre Dame to reclaim the state. Archie is already outrecruiting the former.

Please wait while I shed a tear. Butler being out of the competitive picture is just fine by me! Now we just need to take out Purdue and Notre Dame to reclaim the state. Archie is already outrecruiting the former.
I shed no tears,just passing on some info.

It'll be interesting to see how many of their bandwagon fans stick around if they go south, which I for one hope they do.

Reactions: IUgradman
There is no” if ” they go South, It will happen early in the season.

They do get tested early, but not sure you can count on them "going south". Besides a top 5 finish in the BE gets them a tournament bid assuming no bad RPI losses in non-con.

I got into it with them on their message board before we played them last year. They told me that we were stuck with Crean forever, and Holtman would never leave Butler for IU because they were the better program and the Big Least is a better conference. My....how the tables have turned. And make no mistake. Lavall Jordan is a bad coach. Really bad.

I got into it with them on their message board before we played them last year. They told me that we were stuck with Crean forever, and Holtman would never leave Butler for IU because they were the better program and the Big Least is a better conference. My....how the tables have turned. And make no mistake. Lavall Jordan is a bad coach. Really bad.

Curious what you've seen of Jordan's coaching to say "really bad"?

There was an article in the Ft. Wayne News - Sentinel about the recruiting at Butler. I know they're trying to put a positive spin on it, but it's got to be a little concerning.

Last edited:
Butler has been able to recruit the Indiana players that Bob Knight used to go after. Not the All American athletes but the kids who are skilled and love basketball. They know how to play defense, can shoot and win. Does this new coach change that?

Butler has been able to recruit the Indiana players that Bob Knight used to go after. Not the All American athletes but the kids who are skilled and love basketball. They know how to play defense, can shoot and win. Does this new coach change that?

Obviously, time will tell. Butler has had a remarkable string of coaches that worked out very well for their program, but that's a danger whenever there is a coaching change - you can't predict success or failure with certainty. It's sort of the exact opposite with us - we've had 4 coaches in 17 years and the first 3 haven't been so great. Hopefully CAM will be the right guy (I think it's very possible). Butler may have made another great choice, and they may have hired their first dud of this era.

I think they will be fine and frankly the Indiana landscape is better off with a successful Bulldog program. I attend one or two games each year at Hinkle and really enjoy it. They bring more fans to the Xroads Classic than PU and ND combined, and they are good quality fans.

They are not going to threaten IUs place in the state anytime soon, But they do improve the landscape and improve HS hoops depth here which is good for all of us.

I think they will be fine and frankly the Indiana landscape is better off with a successful Bulldog program. I attend one or two games each year at Hinkle and really enjoy it. They bring more fans to the Xroads Classic than PU and ND combined, and they are good quality fans.

They are not going to threaten IUs place in the state anytime soon, But they do improve the landscape and improve HS hoops depth here which is good for all of us.

Why is that good for all of us?

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/loca...cle_a4c1c2da-acf0-5243-8b42-241dbfd3f179.html

Bye bye Bulldogs! Cooper Neese lands at Indiana State. He'll be sitting out a year, but the kid is a pure shooter who can really light it up (at least he did on the HS level). Possibly, he may be a big enough attraction to lure people into Hulman Center and raise their dismal attendance numbers. The only other way they can fill that place up is if our Hoosiers were on the schedule.

Why is that good for all of us?

A stronger deeper HS stable of athletes improves recruiting opportunities. Would like,to see more really solid 3-4 year type homegrown players that Dream of playing for IU. I take those kids (Farrell, Hulls, Alford) all day long. Not at the exclusion of a kid that stays 1 or 2 yrs...but more of the former.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Doubt Butler success does anything for Indians HS hoops. They sucked for a long time & our HS hoops were just fine. I want kids that dream of playing at IU too, Butler has nothing to do with that.

Reactions: IUgradman

I find it interesting that no one has rebutted the fact that you indirectly rated IU as the fourth best program in the state by admitting that you think IU needs to take out Butler, Purdue, and Notre Dame to "reclaim" the state.

Moving along... ;)

I find it interesting that no one has rebutted the fact that you indirectly rated IU as the fourth best program in the state by admitting that you think IU needs to take out Butler, Purdue, and Notre Dame to "reclaim" the state.

Moving along... ;)

They were last year. But not every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT