ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Bo Pelini Fired..

Tony20

All-Big Ten
Apr 26, 2005
Nebraska says they want new direction. Be careful what you wish for there Huskers. The gig isn't as appealing as it was 20 years ago..

In his seven full seasons leading the Huskers, Pelini won at least nine games each season including ten win seasons in 2009, 2010, and 2012. Nebraska was 9-3 this season.
Pelini was 67-27 overall, including a 39-17 conference mark in the Big Ten and Big 12.

Wow! Hard to phantom a firing with that type of record.

Separately, I think Will Muschamp may have some options (Florida).

This post was edited on 11/30 11:17 AM by IU1979

Certainly going to be a fun offseason. Florida, Nebraska...

and probable Michigan and Miami jobs all open.

Re: Certainly going to be a fun offseason. Florida, Nebraska...

And the delusional fans will all probably mention Harbaugh as an option...

he still gets $150K a month for awhile

he was @ $3 million a year or so + fringe benefits (ie country club membership, vehicles and 16 hours of commerical
air flight time)

I think Harbaugh stays in Bay Area...

but just across the bridge. Reports of Raiders trading for him seem to pickup steam.

Of all the open jobs I think Florida will get the biggest name. I think some of those AD's would be wise to look at Graham, RichRod. Early trends for Nebraska fans are Jim Mcelwain.

Gundy would be good for Florida or Miami.

recruiting

To get where they want to be, they probably need to elevate recruiting, it's been good, but not the level to be consistently an elite team. Probably need a guy that can recruit top 10 classes at least every few years.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

His firing probably had little to do with the record but rather all the off the field drama if you will. I think I read this morning he had a better record than Osborne after 7 years. Go figure.

poor record against ranked teams

I think I read it was something like 3-11 against ranked teams ....plus multiple losses over 20 points.

Re: poor record against ranked teams

From Lincoln Star: "Pelini was 9-16 against ranked teams, with this year's Wisconsin game joining a 2013 loss to UCLA (41-21), a 2012 loss to Ohio State (63-38), and 2011 losses to Wisconsin (48-17) and Michigan (45-17) as recent losses to Top 25 teams in which the game got out of hand. The 2012 Big Ten Championship Game still registers as damning as any game, when the Huskers were routed 70-31 by a 7-5 Badger team, denying NU a trip to the Rose Bowl.

That game was one of three conference championship game opportunities Nebraska had under Pelini, but the Huskers also fell short in Big 12 title games against Texas in 2009 (last-second 13-12 loss) and Oklahoma in 2010 (23-20 loss after NU raced to a 17-0 lead).
While Pelini has come under criticism for not getting enough wins on big stages, his win-loss record by itself stacks up well among the top coaches in the country.
Since he took over in 2008, he is tied for sixth in winning percentage with LSU's Les Miles (and Michigan State's Mark Dantonio. Only Nick Saban (83-10), Chris Petersen (77-14), Bob Stoops (72-15), Urban Meyer (69-10) and Gary Patterson (68-20) have better records.According to an ESPN stat, Pelini is the first from a Power-5 conference to be fired after winning more than seven games each of his first seven years."

Bo's record was generally good. I think from listening to the AD, it was the off the field issues, and not the record. When they want to get rid of you, they figure out a way to do that in the name of the student athlete. Good riddance, says those in power at the Univ of Nebraska

I hope it works out for them. Many times when you make a change the results aren't quite what you expect.
While Nebraska certainly has a much better football team than Indiana they are not been the world beaters that many thought they might be when they entered the big 10.

Moving to the Big 10 didn't

help their recruiting at all. They used to get quite a few guys from California. That's really hard to do when you're in a Midwest (and now NE Coast) conference.

I think moving to the Big 10 probably killed their chances of ever being an elite football program again. Now they are just a notch above Iowa in terms of football relevance. If they start firing coaches that can't win 10 games every year, its going to be a turnstile in Lincoln.

Re: Moving to the Big 10 didn't

How did being in the big 12 make them more attractive to California recruits?

I would think it would have hurt more to not play in the state of Texas.

Re: Moving to the Big 10 didn't

My opinion - moving to the Big Ten took away their natural rivalries (e.g. Oklahoma) that defined their legacy as a college football power. When those rivalries went away, that perhaps made it parity as far as recruiting ( and it takes time for Nebraska to create an identity in the new conference). Never mind (traditions)....it was all about $$$$.

Re: Read more into it

I'm sure you are aware his problem was more than just 9 wins every year.

- large blowout losses
- fought the press
- fought the fans
- only 3rd in their division
- never won the Big10

It wasn't all peaches and cream with him as their HC.

Re: Read more into it

Generally, Pelini just took care of business against much weaker teams. Not hard to do when you have the quality talent that comes to Nebraska (perhaps not nationally elite recruiting, but has been consistently very good pulling in classes ranked between 15-30 every year).

ADVERTISEMENT