ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody here use Turmeric?

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
My knee doc recommended that I start taking up to 500 mg of this stuff daily, as it's a natural anti-inflammatory, in addition to being a spice used liberally in Indian cooking. Apparently in Asian cultures turmeric is used to treat all sorts of conditions, from inflammation/pain to upset stomach to headaches. The doc says he's been using it in capsule form for years, and gets really good results from it.

Does anybody on the board use this stuff? Like it? Are there any particular brands you'd suggest?

Sorry to interrupt the important political dialogue for something this mundane . . . but it can't be helped. I GOTTA KNOW!!!!!!!

Ya know?

Reactions: Ohio Guy and Lucy01
My knee doc recommended that I start taking up to 500 mg of this stuff daily, as it's a natural anti-inflammatory, in addition to being a spice used liberally in Indian cooking. Apparently in Asian cultures turmeric is used to treat all sorts of conditions, from inflammation/pain to upset stomach to headaches. The doc says he's been using it in capsule form for years, and gets really good results from it.

Does anybody on the board use this stuff? Like it? Are there any particular brands you'd suggest?

Sorry to interrupt the important political dialogue for something this mundane . . . but it can't be helped. I GOTTA KNOW!!!!!!!

Ya know?
I have mild to moderate joint pain in my shoulders. I bought 3 different products to try out. The first I tried was a 1000 mg Turmeric capsule by nu therapy. After a couple days I noticed that it was upsetting my stomach and giving me bad breath, and not much relief from the discomfort.

So, I waited a couple days then tried Move Free Advanced by Schiff. It is Glucosamine and Chondroitin, in a medium sized tablet form. This product helped so much, I haven't opened the third yet. A couple tablets, a few days in a row, will relieve my pain for a couple weeks. No noticable side effects.

That has been my experience. I hope this post helps, and good luck!

Reactions: Sope Creek
I have mild to moderate joint pain in my shoulders. I bought 3 different products to try out. The first I tried was a 1000 mg Turmeric capsule by nu therapy. After a couple days I noticed that it was upsetting my stomach and giving me bad breath, and not much relief from the discomfort.

So, I waited a couple days then tried Move Free Advanced by Schiff. It is Glucosamine and Chondroitin, in a medium sized tablet form. This product helped so much, I haven't opened the third yet. A couple tablets, a few days in a row, will relieve my pain for a couple weeks. No noticable side effects.

That has been my experience. I hope this post helps, and good luck!
I bet you really liked a medium sized Schiff :p

Reactions: Digressions

Ya know?
Have you tried CBD oil or cream? My knee flares up when I hike and it works almost immediately. Also have a friend who was planning knee replacement and has decided to put it off. I haven’t consistently tried Tumeric, but have read it’s good for many issues.

Ya know?
My wife takes CBD oil and it helped the arthritis in her hands immensely. She used to not be able to open a bottle of any kind because it hurt her hands but now she does it routinely. She takes the kind that you hold under your tongue for a couple minutes (a liquid).

Last edited:

Ya know?
Yep, daily. I’ve been told it MUST be accompanied with black pepper. This is the one I take

TURMERIC_-_FRONT_2048x.jpg

My MIL has suffered for years with terrible back pain. She was often strung out on opioids, which eventually didn't work so well anymore, and she was miserable. She's 85 and has heart issues too, so no surgeon will do any back surgeries.

A few months ago she started taking CBD oil. I think she's taking whole spoonfuls rather than a few drops, but whatever. Her pain is way, way down and it has been amazing.

Thanks to all who responded.

Mohoosier, thanks for the recommendation. I'm not sure what dosage that brand comes in (750 mg?), and I want to start at 500 mg/day, so I've ordered Nutricost Turmeric with BioPerine (the black pepper derivative). I read about it in a Chicago Tribune article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/cons...best-turmeric-supplements-20190523-story.html.

As for cbds, I've now got that on my radar . . . it may have properties useful for other types of conditions that others I know have, including arthritis (short-term use) and Crohn's disease (it's on the agenda for discussion with a gastroenterologist). BTW, I'm presuming y'all are talking about hemp-derived cbds . . . I believe that's all that's available in Georgia at this point.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT