ADVERTISEMENT

Oscars

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
I am surprised Roma is made the favorite, I quit after 15 minutes because nothing had happened. Of course I loved the music to Bohemian Rhapsody, but their messing with the history annoyed me. A Star is a Born may be the third best A Star is Born, which really isn't a slight. I liked it, but it was not great. Gaga was pretty good though.

For me, Black Panther. It may be the best of the genre, but overall I think it was a down year.

Edit 1st sentence where autocorrect hated Roma more than me. Plus spacing changes because this phone's keyboard has started doing what my old one did, either ignoring a space or making it a period.

I’ve seen them all. My fav is Blackkklansman. I liked ROMA though too.

I am surprised Roma is made the favorite, I quit after 15 minutes because nothing had happened. Of course I loved the music to Bohemian Rhapsody, but their messing with the history annoyed me. A Star is a Born may be the third best A Star is Born, which really isn't a slight. I liked it, but it was not great. Gaga was pretty good though.

For me, Black Panther. It may be the best of the genre, but overall I think it was a down year.

Edit 1st sentence where autocorrect hated Roma more than me. Plus spacing changes because this phone's keyboard has started doing what my old one did, either ignoring a space or making it a period.
I think it was a down year too. Part of that, for me is that every single movie is based on a real story, or a remake. I like creativity .

The Favourite was the only one I saw.... waste of an afternoon

The reviews on Roma are all crazy high, by critics. WSJ guy called it one of best movies he's ever seen. Of course most of them liked The Favourite too...

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
The Academy actually managed to award the one movie in the list that I not only did not see but had absolutely no intention of seeing. I had thought about seeing The Favourite, but based on twenty's glowing recommendation above maybe it is well I didn't. And I did really want to see Vice, but the one chance I had to see it I chose to see On the Basis of Sex (not that my keen interest in Felicity Jones had anything at all to do with that choice).

It is easy I guess to blame "the Academy", but the reality is that a lot of individuals made up this vote, it isn't just a group decision. One can see how group dynamics can lead to such a bad choice, but for so many people to individually make a bad choice is a bit staggering. And yes, I haven't seen it and maybe I am too quick to dismiss it. At the same point, the racial storyline it is built on is tired. I don't think Hollywood should stop making movies about how whites helped blacks overcome racism, but it is time Hollywood stopped rewarding those movies as being somehow corageous .

I think it was a down year too. Part of that, for me is that every single movie is based on a real story, or a remake. I like creativity .

Serious question... will traditional (studio) movies ever be good again? I haven't seen many in the past few years, partly due to time constraints and partly due to alternatives (e.g. Netflix, Prime, etc.). From what I have seen coming from traditional Hollywood, mediocre may be an understatement.

I don't see how studios will compete long-term. Their only hope is that young people continue to be so bored that they are willing to see Xmen 28.

The Favourite was the only one I saw.... waste of an afternoon

The reviews on Roma are all crazy high, by critics. WSJ guy called it one of best movies he's ever seen. Of course most of them liked The Favourite too...

The Academy actually managed to award the one movie in the list that I not only did not see but had absolutely no intention of seeing. I had thought about seeing The Favourite, but based on twenty's glowing recommendation above maybe it is well I didn't. And I did really want to see Vice, but the one chance I had to see it I chose to see On the Basis of Sex (not that my keen interest in Felicity Jones had anything at all to do with that choice).

It is easy I guess to blame "the Academy", but the reality is that a lot of individuals made up this vote, it isn't just a group decision. One can see how group dynamics can lead to such a bad choice, but for so many people to individually make a bad choice is a bit staggering. And yes, I haven't seen it and maybe I am too quick to dismiss it. At the same point, the racial storyline it is built on is tired. I don't think Hollywood should stop making movies about how whites helped blacks overcome racism, but it is time Hollywood stopped rewarding those movies as being somehow corageous .

Roma is a beautiful piece of filmmaking by an incredibly gifted filmmaker. It's a labor of love with tremendous visual impact, but it's not a super-accessible, easy-to-consume narrative. The Academy has a long and ferocious conflict between the art/craft of filmmaking and the commercial appeal of films. IMHO, the Grammys bridge this gap better than the Oscars.

I thought Green Book was a good movie and that there were a lot of good movies this year. There just wasn't that pack of big studio juggernauts that was heads and shoulders better than everything else. I don't really get the blowback on Green Book. Lots of movies like that have won Best Picture over the years. Viggo is a really nice and beloved guy and he was a huge part of a strong movie. I suspect his popularity had a lot to do with the win.

Meanwhile, I remain really surprised by the adoration of Bohemian Rhapsody, which (IMHO) is the quintessential nice, solid movie. It's really enjoyable and they did some fantastic things with it. But, to me, it being nominated for Best Picture is like if Purple Rain had been nominated for best picture.

People go to the movies for a wide variety of reasons. Some to be entertained, some to be moved, some to be scared, some to escape their lives, some to see their view of reality reflected. To me, it's a minor miracle when a good movie is made because it's so hard to bring together the many different forces needed to make it happen. And, ultimately, there will always be tension between wanting to please commercial audiences and seeking recognition from one's peers. The Oscars seems work this out the worst among the major awards shows.

Reactions: hoot1
Serious question... will traditional (studio) movies ever be good again? I haven't seen many in the past few years, partly due to time constraints and partly due to alternatives (e.g. Netflix, Prime, etc.). From what I have seen coming from traditional Hollywood, mediocre may be an understatement.

I don't see how studios will compete long-term. Their only hope is that young people continue to be so bored that they are willing to see Xmen 28.

Netflix, Prime, etc. are studios. Every couple of generations major players come and go. Movies didn't end when MGM tanked or when Samuel Goldwyn went away. The end of Miramax wasn't the end of independent cinema. It's just an evolution. And there were a ton of really successful "traditional studio" movies in 2018.

The blowback from Green Book is really strong. I had read some about the family’s problems with the movie even before the Awards and now even more. I can see why they are upset. I like almost all movies that I choose to see and I see a lot. I don’t like all the Marvel superhero stuff, except I did like Black Panther, I detest rom coms, and it’s a rare mainstream comedy that I like. But I almost always like the ones up for awards, I like lots of independent and foreign ones and I enjoy most all documentaries. And I still really enjoy the theater experience. Partly because when I am home watching a movie I am almost always distracted and don’t get nearly as much out of it. I liked The Favourite but most people I know hated it. Green Book was probably the most mainstream of all of them.
And for those that watched last night....Lady Gaga and Brad Cooper? Totally doing it.

I was surprised by how short the in memoriam segment was. Not only did the number of people seem unusually low, it did not include anywhere near the number of clips of the more significant ones (and those included seemed a lot shorter than in the past). While it seemed a lot shorter than usual, I did not immediately think of anyone left out.

Turns out there were several notable omissions, including Carol Channing, Sondra Locke (!!!), Verne Troyer and R. Lee Ermey, and several others I was not familiar with. Heck, they even left off Stanely Donen (director), despite the fact that they gave him a lifetime achievement award (or something akin to that) in 1998. OK, so Vern Troyer does not seem like a big omission. But Carol Channing and Stanley Donen (directed Singin' in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, etc.)?!?

Now, I'm sure that people complain about who was overlooked every year. But it seems very obvious that they decided to cut way back on the segment this year in an effort to make the overall broadcast shorter, and in the process left off some very notable people.

https://www.aol.com/article/enterta...-omissions-from-in-memoriam-segment/23677529/

Netflix, Prime, etc. are studios. Every couple of generations major players come and go. Movies didn't end when MGM tanked or when Samuel Goldwyn went away. The end of Miramax wasn't the end of independent cinema. It's just an evolution. And there were a ton of really successful "traditional studio" movies in 2018.

I'm just looking at the data.

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/

I was surprised by how short the in memoriam segment was. Not only did the number of people seem unusually low, it did not include anywhere near the number of clips of the more significant ones (and those included seemed a lot shorter than in the past). While it seemed a lot shorter than usual, I did not immediately think of anyone left out.

Turns out there were several notable omissions, including Carol Channing, Sondra Locke (!!!), Verne Troyer and R. Lee Ermey, and several others I was not familiar with. Heck, they even left off Stanely Donen (director), despite the fact that they gave him a lifetime achievement award (or something akin to that) in 1998. OK, so Vern Troyer does not seem like a big omission. But Carol Channing and Stanley Donen (directed Singin' in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, etc.)?!?

Now, I'm sure that people complain about who was overlooked every year. But it seems very obvious that they decided to cut way back on the segment this year in an effort to make the overall broadcast shorter, and in the process left off some very notable people.

https://www.aol.com/article/enterta...-omissions-from-in-memoriam-segment/23677529/
I noticed it was short too. I wonder how they decide who is included and who is not. There are always tons I haven’t heard of, but I’m sure are influential behind the scenes.

Last edited:

So, what is the data telling you about "will traditional (studio) movies ever be good again?" What's the metric that you are using for that? How do you fold Netflix into that since they don't release analytical data on their releases?

Methinks you are getting old and raging about how no one makes movies for you anymore. That's about as old of a story as the movie business itself.

So, what is the data telling you about "will traditional (studio) movies ever be good again?" What's the metric that you are using for that? How do you fold Netflix into that since they don't release analytical data on their releases?

Methinks you are getting old and raging about how no one makes movies for you anymore. That's about as old of a story as the movie business itself.

People make plenty of movies "for me". I just choose not to watch their poor quality flicks. Besides, most of the time I'm stuck watching kids movies, which overall, seem improved.

I wish I knew the process for people getting included. I suspect it has something to do with a publicist for the deceased (or their estate) submitting something, but really don't know. I was really surprised that Channing, Ermey, and Donen were left out. I believe all three were voting members of the Academy.

People make plenty of movies "for me". I just choose not to watch their poor quality flicks. Besides, most of the time I'm stuck watching kids movies, which overall, seem improved.

It's okay. Whatever makes you feel better. ;)

So, what's the metric you are using?

I guess they finalized the list before Donen passed, which I guess makes sense and he'll be included next year. But to have such a short list is a terrible idea. I know they were time conscious, this was not where to save time.

How do you know they are poor quality if you don’t watch them? I do think streaming services and home theaters are harming box office. Many if not most of the big blockbusters are the franchise ones that I’m not interested in. But I still think there are lots of quality movies made every year. It’s like anything else though. It’s just a matter of taste and opinion.

Reactions: hoosboot
The blowback from Green Book is really strong. I had read some about the family’s problems with the movie even before the Awards and now even more. I can see why they are upset. I like almost all movies that I choose to see and I see a lot. I don’t like all the Marvel superhero stuff, except I did like Black Panther, I detest rom coms, and it’s a rare mainstream comedy that I like. But I almost always like the ones up for awards, I like lots of independent and foreign ones and I enjoy most all documentaries. And I still really enjoy the theater experience. Partly because when I am home watching a movie I am almost always distracted and don’t get nearly as much out of it. I liked The Favourite but most people I know hated it. Green Book was probably the most mainstream of all of them.
And for those that watched last night....Lady Gaga and Brad Cooper? Totally doing it.

Lots of films stray from the facts in order to tell the intended story. Have you ever seen a Michael Moore production?

I am a little disappointed They Shall Not Grow Old was not eligible. I might go see Free Solo Friday, which one for documentary, but Jackson's movie was groundbreaking.

I am a little disappointed They Shall Not Grow Old was not eligible. I might go see Free Solo Friday, which one for documentary, but Jackson's movie was groundbreaking.
Free Solo is really good. Had to hide my eyes a couple of times. Saw it through Ryder’s. I got a semester pass this time, so seeing lots of them.

Does The Death of Stalin count as this years Oscars? I don't understand their calendar.

Best film I saw this year easily.

The film must play in LA theaters during the prior calendar year to qualify.

Death of Stalin was a British movie released in 2017. Did it even run in US theaters?

Absurd. You’re a fool if you let any of that stuff decide what movies you like. Are you that worried about what others think you should like? I certainly am not. But apparently you and Sajak are.

You clearly missed the point. Movies are only made now for stupid reasons.

Looked it up and it’s now on my list to see.
I hate to say I agree with Farva but I do. I was keeping people awake on a flight to Brazil because I was laughing so hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT