ADVERTISEMENT

Opting Out Is Getting Ridiculous

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
I watched the first half of the Florida-Oklahoma game, and like most IU Fans, I'm happy Florida got drilled. However, I'm not happy about the underlying circumstances. Their top 3 Receivers "Opted Out" to prepare for the Draft, leaving them very short handed. My first thought is would these guys still be with the Team if they were playing for the Championship. My guess is yes. they would want the glory and publicity of playing in those games.

I posted something like this, several weeks ago. The term opting out has become the Catch all term for any absence from the team. Kids who decided not to come back for their last year opted out. Those who decided not to play at the beginning of the year, or during the year after the effects of COVID became evident opted out. Those who have temporarily left the team during the Year for an undetermined length of time due to a personal or family emergency, haven't opted out. They are on an excused Leave of Absence. Those who left their teams at mid year or before a Bowl Game didn't Opt-Out. They outright quit on their team and teammates. Call it what it is.

If I were an NFL GM., I would look cautiously at these guys. Do they have the fortitude and desire to work through things and play hard when things aren't going well, or will they do everything they can to distance themselves from their teammates to avoid responsibility for the situation. Are they the guys who want constant tickets to the training room to avoid Practice, and guys who will develop mysterious injuries (pulled hammie, pulled groin) to avoid playing "Meaningless Games"?

I think the time has come for the NCAA to do something about this. A provision should be added to the Scholarship Agreement requiring any player who voluntarily left the team prior to year end without reasonable cause, to pay the School for the Economic Benefit of the Scholarship for that Semester.

I watched the first half of the Florida-Oklahoma game, and like most IU Fans, I'm happy Florida got drilled. However, I'm not happy about the underlying circumstances. Their top 3 Receivers "Opted Out" to prepare for the Draft, leaving them very short handed. My first thought is would these guys still be with the Team if they were playing for the Championship. My guess is yes. they would want the glory and publicity of playing in those games.

I posted something like this, several weeks ago. The term opting out has become the Catch all term for any absence from the team. Kids who decided not to come back for their last year opted out. Those who decided not to play at the beginning of the year, or during the year after the effects of COVID became evident opted out. Those who have temporarily left the team during the Year for an undetermined length of time due to a personal or family emergency, haven't opted out. They are on an excused Leave of Absence. Those who left their teams at mid year or before a Bowl Game didn't Opt-Out. They outright quit on their team and teammates. Call it what it is.

If I were an NFL GM., I would look cautiously at these guys. Do they have the fortitude and desire to work through things and play hard when things aren't going well, or will they do everything they can to distance themselves from their teammates to avoid responsibility for the situation. Are they the guys who want constant tickets to the training room to avoid Practice, and guys who will develop mysterious injuries (pulled hammie, pulled groin) to avoid playing "Meaningless Games"?

I think the time has come for the NCAA to do something about this. A provision should be added to the Scholarship Agreement requiring any player who voluntarily left the team prior to year end without reasonable cause, to pay the School for the Economic Benefit of the Scholarship for that Semester.
The opt-outs are primarily elite players who are eyeing NFL careers. An injury in a post-season college game could derail that career and the big money that comes with it. I can't say I blame them for passing on a bowl game.

The exception, though, as you've noted, is when guys are playing for a national championship. If they're in the CFP, they seem more willing to accept the risk. Maybe this is one more reason why the field should be expanded from four to at least eight. Of course, all of this negatively impacts the value of the remaining (non-CFP) bowl games.

This has been going on for a couple of seasons already. I (and others) said early on that this would continue and spread significantly into basketball over time. Injuries are a big part of it but Covid has and will continue to cause families to look differently at opportunities.

Nothing is guaranteed to any of us and that has been driven home in 2020.

What does it say about the coaching they're receiving at the school? Seems to me that if preparing for the draft can be done better away from their team, then that speaks negatively about their school's coaching staff.

It'll continue unless and until there's a negative effect for their ability to catch on with the NFL.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Here is an example I am very familiar with. Jaylon Smith played High School Ball here in Fort Wayne, and was an All American. He went on to Notre Dame and was an All American Linebacker. He played in the Bowl Game following his Senior Year and suffered a terrible knee injury. He went from a certain Top 10 pick to Total Uncertainty.

Fortunately Dallas selected him in the 3rd Round knowing he would not be able to play for at least one year, but if he recovered fully and could play up to his potential, it was worth the Money. He Rehabbed under Supervision of Dallas and their Training Staff and eventually returned to the field and has played productively for them.

He didn't get 1st Round Money initially, but absent a career ending Injury, he will receive a lot of Money in his Second Contract based upon his play, while a lot of the people drafted ahead of him won't get that kind of Money in their Second Contracts, if they are in the League at all.

College football needs to go to a 8 team playoff and let the bowls survive if they can. Bowls are becoming less significant as time goes on. I think there would be minimal opt outs for playoff teams.
Whatever generates the most money for the franchises is what we’ll end up with. I’m sure there’s no need for any of us to worry.

An injury in a basically meaningless bowl game (for a program like Florida, at least) could cost these guys millions of dollars and potentially even an NFL career altogether if they were unlucky enough to have a very severe injury.

I'm not going to complain about what are really unpaid employees of the university sitting out a game that has very little actual meaning so they can preserve their chance at actually getting paid for what they do. Would they play if it were the playoffs? Yes, but that's because the playoffs are a big stage that actually matter not just for their employer, the university, but for themselves. Lighting it up on the biggest possible stage increases their appeal to professional teams.

I posted this on the other site this morning, but it's my opinion that if schools loose a bunch of players to opt out they should be punished by moving to another bowl or punished the following year. The problem is, and IU football fans will disagree with my statement here, but bowl games are basically nothing but glorified exhibition games. The only games that kinda matter are the final 4 games. All the conferences care about getting teams to bowl games so THEY can collect. Winning and loosing doesn't matter much. In Florida's case, yeah they got shelled, but they'll be right back in the top 10ish next season and the SEC will make money off them just like they have over the past several decades. It's just how it goes. Now to IU, who is building a brand, and really hasn't bowled much in 50 years, a bowl game is still sweet, but the more it occurs and the more IU fans learn how it goes, the less it'll matter to actually win the game vs simply just getting there.

Until there's punishments for opt outs, it's just how it'll go. Some stand to lose millions if they get hurt. They've been slaves to their schools and conferences who've made millions off them long enough, so they finally get a chance to invest in themselves and prevent a potential issue. I can't blame kids for protecting themselves over a meaningless game. I look at Kyle Pitts (Florida TE/WR). He will be a top 10 draft pick, sign some endorsement deals, and be a multi millionaire this time next season. He has the potential to be the next Darren Waller (Raiders) or even better. Is all that worth a Cotton Bowl trophy where he still gets the endorsement stuff the other players got and he doesn't have to risk blowing a knee? Sure he's insured by Lloyds of London, but his brand could make 100 times what he's insured for there.

To the IU's of the college football world, it stings because going to a bowl game still means a ton to everyone, and we absolutely got jobbed by the Conference Brand Machine in going to the Outback Bowl, but as stated, until there's punishment for opting out, Idk how it can be fixed. Some NFL teams do want kids to play, but would any team turn away from Kyle Pitts because he didn't play in the Cotton Bowl? Extremely Doubtful. He's a freak of nature athlete who's ceiling is the Hall of Fame.

I posted this on the other site this morning, but it's my opinion that if schools loose a bunch of players to opt out they should be punished by moving to another bowl or punished the following year. The problem is, and IU football fans will disagree with my statement here, but bowl games are basically nothing but glorified exhibition games. The only games that kinda matter are the final 4 games. All the conferences care about getting teams to bowl games so THEY can collect. Winning and loosing doesn't matter much. In Florida's case, yeah they got shelled, but they'll be right back in the top 10ish next season and the SEC will make money off them just like they have over the past several decades. It's just how it goes. Now to IU, who is building a brand, and really hasn't bowled much in 50 years, a bowl game is still sweet, but the more it occurs and the more IU fans learn how it goes, the less it'll matter to actually win the game vs simply just getting there.

Until there's punishments for opt outs, it's just how it'll go. Some stand to lose millions if they get hurt. They've been slaves to their schools and conferences who've made millions off them long enough, so they finally get a chance to invest in themselves and prevent a potential issue. I can't blame kids for protecting themselves over a meaningless game. I look at Kyle Pitts (Florida TE/WR). He will be a top 10 draft pick, sign some endorsement deals, and be a multi millionaire this time next season. He has the potential to be the next Darren Waller (Raiders) or even better. Is all that worth a Cotton Bowl trophy where he still gets the endorsement stuff the other players got and he doesn't have to risk blowing a knee? Sure he's insured by Lloyds of London, but his brand could make 100 times what he's insured for there.

To the IU's of the college football world, it stings because going to a bowl game still means a ton to everyone, and we absolutely got jobbed by the Conference Brand Machine in going to the Outback Bowl, but as stated, until there's punishment for opting out, Idk how it can be fixed. Some NFL teams do want kids to play, but would any team turn away from Kyle Pitts because he didn't play in the Cotton Bowl? Extremely Doubtful. He's a freak of nature athlete who's ceiling is the Hall of Fame.

I don't think anyone begrudges the "Kyle Pitts" of college football, but can you name the other 3 receivers for Florida that opted out? It's a similar problem that CBB has with the number of underclassmen that declare for the NBA exceeds the number of actual players that can be drafted. How many of these players that are opting out for the NFL are actually legit prospects? I don't have a solution other than I agree they need to expand CFP to 8 teams and then reduce the number of other bowl games, so that the remaining bowl games are actually meaningful, competitive, and can add to a prospects body of work for the NFL to observe.

An injury in a basically meaningless bowl game (for a program like Florida, at least) could cost these guys millions of dollars and potentially even an NFL career altogether if they were unlucky enough to have a very severe injury.

I'm not going to complain about what are really unpaid employees of the university sitting out a game that has very little actual meaning so they can preserve their chance at actually getting paid for what they do. Would they play if it were the playoffs? Yes, but that's because the playoffs are a big stage that actually matter not just for their employer, the university, but for themselves. Lighting it up on the biggest possible stage increases their appeal to professional teams.
Here is where I have a problem with part of your logic. Whether you played in last night's Cotton Bowl Game, or if Florida made it to the Championship semifinals and played tomorrow, the risk of injury by playing in either game is the same. If the Objective is to preserve your Health and avoid the possibility of injury to protect your earning potential, then you choose not to play in either game because the risk of injury is the same. The only reason you choose to play in the Championship Semifinal is you have made a determination that the potential of having a big game in a Semifinal Game and the reward is worth the risk of injury. But if you incur the same career threatening injury in the Championship Semifinal and have a big game, the result is the same. You have lost your earning capacity.

I don't think anyone begrudges the "Kyle Pitts" of college football, but can you name the other 3 receivers for Florida that opted out? It's a similar problem that CBB has with the number of underclassmen that declare for the NBA exceeds the number of actual players that can be drafted. How many of these players that are opting out for the NFL are actually legit prospects? I don't have a solution other than I agree they need to expand CFP to 8 teams and then reduce the number of other bowl games, so that the remaining bowl games are actually meaningful, competitive, and can add to a prospects body of work for the NFL to observe.
Kadarius Toney was one and he's a sure fire top 2 round pick. Trevon Grimes is probably a top 4 round guy so him sitting was a bit iffy in my mind. Jacob Copeland was positive for COVID so he sat for different reasons obviously.

I agree with the premise of your post completely.

Only object to the "unpaid" reference. They are far from unpaid.

I think I agree with the poster.
I would worry it suggests a non-team player.
How tough are you in crunch time?
To me, it is a negative.

The NFL does not consider it a negative.
Oregon’s Sewell opted out of the entire season, but he will be the first OT selected.
FLA’s TE Pitts will be drafted very very high. FLA’s Toney will go high.
et al
Many others whose names escape me just now, will not see their draft status affected.

I once read about the Illinois great Red Grange. As soon as his senior season ended he withdrew from the university and turned pro with the Bears. I guess he wasn't a great scholar!
Red wasn’t able to wield the liberating swords of NIL reform, social media agitprop, and the contemporary pharmaceutical wonderland to free himself from his ENSLAVEMENT. Little to no alternative, in the olden days, to pulling a Nat Turner to get off that stereopticonic plantation.

EDIT. You know.

Last edited:
His signing with the Bears helped legitimize the National Football League, who needed stars & Red Grange was "The Galloping Ghost".
Yes, and a humorous side note to that was that Grange and his agent went to the White House to meet Calvin Coolidge. The agent told Coolidge that Grange was with the Bears, and Coolidge said that he always enjoyed animal acts.

If you are worried about getting hurt in a bowl game, maybe you should be playing another sport.
Btw, football is a team sport, not a me sport.
Much easier to say something like that when you aren't the one who has all that future money on the line and has to think about how easily it could all disappear if something goes wrong. And considering teammates (and even coaches) of players who opt out rarely, if ever, have anything negative to say about people opting out, I'm pretty sure the team understands these decisions in the vast majority of cases.

Reactions: Walt542
Yeah, it's easier to say. But how many players have career-ending injuries in their final game?
If you feel it's ok to bail on your team, go ahead. The team was there to nuture you, turn you into the player you are, and you're basically saying that you're too good for them at the end.
Bad teammate and weak character I say.

Here is where I have a problem with part of your logic. Whether you played in last night's Cotton Bowl Game, or if Florida made it to the Championship semifinals and played tomorrow, the risk of injury by playing in either game is the same. If the Objective is to preserve your Health and avoid the possibility of injury to protect your earning potential, then you choose not to play in either game because the risk of injury is the same. The only reason you choose to play in the Championship Semifinal is you have made a determination that the potential of having a big game in a Semifinal Game and the reward is worth the risk of injury. But if you incur the same career threatening injury in the Championship Semifinal and have a big game, the result is the same. You have lost your earning capacity.

By that logic, there's risk of injury in any game. Why play at all?

Yeah, it's easier to say. But how many players have career-ending injuries in their final game?
If you feel it's ok to bail on your team, go ahead. The team was there to nuture you, turn you into the player you are, and you're basically saying that you're too good for them at the end.
Bad teammate and weak character I say.
Again, the teammates and coaches of these players clearly don't see things the same way you do. And since they are the ones most directly impacted by these choices, I'm going to defer to them.

The NFL does not consider it a negative.
Oregon’s Sewell opted out of the entire season, but he will be the first OT selected.
FLA’s TE Pitts will be drafted very very high. FLA’s Toney will go high.
et al
Many others whose names escape me just now, will not see their draft status affected.
You may be right. I do not have any NFL contacts.

I dont blame someone for opting out of a meaningless bowl game. Especially if there is potentially millions on the line.

Expanding the playoffs to 8 or even 16 teams would help curb this. Games wouldn't be as "meaningless".

South Carolina's jadavieon clowney probably had millions on the line when he played Michigan in a "meaningless" Outack Bowl years ago.
Then he met a running back at the handoff, forced and recovered a fumble, turning it into the most memorable play of the year.
I guess he could have sat out the game and protect his draft status. I'm guessing he's glad he didnt.

Beyond the CFP the other Bowl games just aren’t important.

ADVERTISEMENT