ADVERTISEMENT

Optimistic thoughts for next year

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Good to see spring football underway, where again, the players look like they are really hitting weights hard, have more skill and depth on the team, and that is all before any potential players coming in next year even arrive. My guess is, given talent we've been getting, there will be 2-3 players who crack the rotation next year - not because we are so weak, but because they are good and ready enough to play right away. (And what a great thing if we can redshirt as many of the class as possible to allow them to develop)

Why optimistic?

-Offensive line is huge, has experience and now depth. Players like Tim Gardner, a former Ohio St recruit, had a year to watch, lift and come out to add to a very good O-line w/great coach in Frey. Think this group has great potential next year to be one of better lines.

-WR - think they are going to have a bounce back year due to the true FR who played this season wanting to make up for a lot of drops that they've likely been seeing on film, having spring/summer to improve and great competition from what looks like a good crop of recruits (excited about XX from FL) and transfers. Good athletes & talent will rise.

-QB - Sudfeld is once again going to have the keys to the car and a staff that trusts in him, with better line, and better talent at WR. He's got the size and already on a few NFL watch lists. Like Frank Kaminsky at UW hoops, this could be the year he puts it all together and ends career on a high note.

-Defense in general. Love what Coach Knorr & staff did last year. LOT of young players played last year so the experience is good. Yes had tough stats, but such an * to it due to the poor offense. You actually let these guys rest a little bit and I think they are going to be a top 50, yes, 50, defense next year.

-LBs - think this may be best crop of LB's IU has had in years. Finally have legit size (i.e 6 '2 - 6'3, 235lb+ variety) with speed and depth. Had two RS LBs that were studs who didn't even play last year (including a Notre Dame recruit!)

-DB's - corners will be an area to watch, but think Fant has "killer" mindset and wants to be a star. And also think the athletes we've been getting much better than in the past will start to step up. The Freshman coming in XX who was an Ohio State recruit at one point is case in point.

-Schedule - Road to a Bowl:
-First three home games are let's admit - should be wins. (3-0 start)
-"Should win" games; Home vs. Rutgers, at Purdue (total of 5 wins)
-Toss up games: At Wake Forest, Home vs. Iowa & Michigan (Possible 3 wins to win 1)
-40% chance wins: At Penn St, at Maryland (Neither team is crazy better than us, but for now we'd be underdogs going in) (2 more)
-Longer shots 25% : Home Ohio St, Away Michigan St

So I'd say 6 wins should be very attainable. 7+ wins also still doable.

Once IU gets to the magic 6 or more wins and goes bowling. The momentum will keep rolling. I don't see the program going backwards as coaching staff is stable, showing they can recruit and just seem to be forming good, winning habits of what great programs start to look like.

Yes, we've all been burned many times before, so I know there has to be some caution in this optimism, but I think Nate injury was only thing that kept IU from 6 game mark last season and think the tide has turned.

Cheers and hope some stars emerge in Cream/Crimson game. *Note: ANY/ALL game breakdown posts are always appreciated!

I think Wake will be an easier game than Purdue, they were awful last year. Plus, Wake is losing a first round NFL CB and I feel like their starting QB is about on par with Diamont.

Probably correct as WF beat Gardner-Webb, Army...

by 3 points and Va Tech by a score of 6-3 for their 3 wins. But the pukes lost all of the speed in their backfield.

Re: Here's a question....

....what happens if Nate sustains an injury for any period?
Obviously, Diamont was in the fire last year but does he make enough of a leap to make it a viable offense?
No Tevin and that puts so much more pressure on the air attack?

Still think we need to improve by leaps and bounds on the DE/Bandit edge rush and put more pressure on QBs.
Not enough sacks to sustain the defense from the edge rush.

Which I why I think the move of Mangieri and McCray to DE is big...

That does two things. Puts two pass rushers into the rotation at DE and gets more of IUs best talent on D (LBs) on the field. I would like to see what Gooch could do at that Bandit spot. He showed some flashes last year. He's bulked up some and with the experience, could take a big jump. Mangieri was solid at that spot last year, but may be better suited to DE (at least with this D) and gives more of a pass rush to the DL and could combine with Latham on the other side to get pressure from the DL.

To me, my optimism isn't as much Nate coming back (which is huge obviously) or the front end talent as much as it is the depth. Front end talent is something most teams have but its the depth Indiana has slowly secured. The difference between the good teams and the perennial IU teams is and has always been depth. No team can count on all or even most of their players making it through a season so you have to rely on having lots of talented depth. CKW has cultivated the perfect environment, recruited like crazy and now has viable (in most cases veteran) backup options for pretty much every position. Austin King at QB is going to be a youngster but he's no different than Nate was his freshman year and we remember Nate competing with the incumbents and earning some PT.

I expect some big things this year. Realistic but big. I also expect us to lose some talented players this year and come back next year with a chance to be even better. That is why we have the right man at the helm.

And, with those two moving, I hope that we get to......

....see Sykes this year in his new Bandit role. He was an LB but that position is so crowded that his backfill of Mangieri's spot could help us.

Is King the official #2? If that is the case, I am guessing the

staff want to redshirt Diamont to get him stronger and then let him and King fight it out next Spring. Sounds like a terrific scenario.

Re: Is King the official #2? If that is the case, I am guessing the

Nothing has been made official but from the output we received last year from Diamont, mixed with the potential shown by King I would have to guess that King is going to be in front. Diamont came to IU at 6-0 165lbs. King is at 6-3 200. I think he will likely get the nod when push comes to shove.

Now with all of that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Diamont ahead of King on the depth chart with a healthy Sudfeld. I would assume coach would rather save a year of King's eligibility if Sudfeld is playing. If Sudfeld went down, the truth will show for itself but hopefully we never truly have to find out!

Though, no matter who is #2, having a year older and even just slightly bigger Diamont with a half season of starting experience and a full spring at #2 to go along with a physical-size-ready freshman King puts IU in a significantly better spot than it was last fall.

Egads faithful followers....do not even whisper a breath "if Sudfeld goes..

down". Tip toe around and be vewy, vewy quiet.

Diamond will very likely be the backup. Experience will win the day for him.

Not sure.....

I see Gooch at the Bandit. Scales and Simmons have to be among the 4 LBs. That leaves a couple of options. Either Scales and Simmons stay at ILB and either Newton or Willis are at the other OLB, or Scales moves out there (which I think he could) and Sykes goes inside with Simmons.

I think you see Gooch, Scales, Simmons and Newton at 1st string with Shaw, Sykes, Oliver and Willis at 2nd string. That looks like a pretty strong 2-deep at LB.

ADVERTISEMENT