ADVERTISEMENT

Opposing coaches size up IU.

I am all for him , just thinking people may be getting a little ahead . It is great to see IU football be relevant I guess I am a little slower to think it has all changed. I remember thinking it had a few other times , we will see!
If we hadn't gone 8-5 2 years ago, I agree.

I think we need to get past the point where we expect the bottom to fall out. Winners don't think like that.

Name the last indiana football coach, after his first four years, that has a winning overall record.

Tom Allen's last two years in the big 10, his record is 11-5.

How any indiana fan isn't behind this guy is asinine is crazy to me.
Did I say I wasn't behind him? I said I was. My initial response was about how we have this culture and yada yada every player is saint.

Did I say I wasn't behind him? I said I was. My initial response was about how we have this culture and yada yada every player is saint.

Tom Allen is all about the culture and LEO. Did you not see the end of the Wisconsin game and the post game interview with all the players and what they did on their own? That wasn't planned. That was organic. That's Tom Allen.

IU hasn’t been in this good of a position as a program since...ever. The recruiting has gotten way better and the impact of that will be felt for the next several seasons. Allen is the real deal. He had a vision and has never wavered from it.

IU hasn’t been in this good of a position as a program since...ever. The recruiting has gotten way better and the impact of that will be felt for the next several seasons. Allen is the real deal. He had a vision and has never wavered from it.

I totally agree.

It's worth noting that these are all Allen's players. He's recruited them all. There are no holdovers from the Wilson era.

The more players of his, the better the teams have been. Coincidence?

Can't compare allen with football to knight with basketball.

Basketball not only had some success prior to Knight, but it is also much easier to turn around a basketball program than a football program just based on the number of players needed to build a team.

I don't see coach Allen as a deity and I am sure he would be offended with that statement you made. I understand what you are saying about him but this team is about the players and staff - including S&C, nutrition, academic, recruiting/video etc. It really comes down to a combination of things that put the right players on the field and this team is much different than teams of the past since the Rose Bowl team.

Last edited:
We won 8 games the year before, for the first time in 25 years. How many back to back “overachieving” seasons do we need to have before our own fans give the team some credit?
The fan base has been beaten down so many times over the years watching promising teams either play no defense, have many injuries or get shafted on bad calls. I understand the shyness but to your point this is a good deep team with a tough task in front of them. Can't wait to get inside the rock.

But the talent level on the roster is improving every year so I do expect better results going forward.
Agree - talent is better on both sides of the ball by a large margin. This upgrade means we have more depth than we’ve ever had. Penix is a huge key but we have confidence in the players behind him. Some of our “fans” don’t have confidence but we won’t be overlooked by anyone on our schedule. We have a very tough schedule. Our goals are no longer to just make a bowl game. We are looking to win championships.

The game against Ole Miss is one of the reason I wonder if coach Sheridan is a good OC. I hope this year he shows he is a good OC that can adjust to what works against defense and not just stay with what he wants. I also want to see him attack defense after the half time because too often IU didn't do very good in the second half until later in the second half. I am giving the last year as a year that was limited and expect he will do better this year.
I think DMac will have a huge impact on the offense, not just the RB's.

No doubt the last two years have been great for our program. I hope we can continue to improve and develop the mindset that we belong at the top. But as the above poster stated our offense has to improve its consistency. Was the ole miss game a fluke or did it reflect how poor our offense was without Penix?
Remember Tuttle was hurt too.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I agree culture is huge. Indiana has had talented teams in the past but the culture was different. People used to expect to find a way to lose a winnable games. If the PSU game had a different outcome I surmise the season could have been different. I am hoping the culture has truly changed and their is no reason to believe it has not. You blend culture with talent and coaching and you have a winning formula. It is time for fans to get on board and help push this team over the top I believe that is the final ingredient. Go Hoosiers

I agree culture is huge. Indiana has had talented teams in the past but the culture was different. People used to expect to find a way to lose a winnable games. If the PSU game had a different outcome I surmise the season could have been different. I am hoping the culture has truly changed and their is no reason to believe it has not. You blend culture with talent and coaching and you have a winning formula. It is time for fans to get on board and help push this team over the top I believe that is the final ingredient. Go Hoosiers

I believe that the unidentified coach interviewed by Athlon's hit the nail on the head when he noted that the LEO culture is Real and embraced by the players and that we don't play scared...

Mix LEO with great conditioning (I hope) and great coaching; along with a No Fear, Go for the Win, Attacking approach to play calling and play making and we've got ourselves one heck of a Dangerous Football TEAM...

Can't wait to see how the season plays out...

Even though I can't go to games except one due to pain and disability, I hope more fans come to games and stay the whole game. I think IU needs to change the pass outs at half time and bring in good food trucks to satisfy fans to stay and very good entertainment groups for concerts to pull in fans from the game IE students and young adults.

Even though I can't go to games except one due to pain and disability, I hope more fans come to games and stay the whole game. I think IU needs to change the pass outs at half time and bring in good food trucks to satisfy fans to stay and very good entertainment groups for concerts to pull in fans from the game IE students and young adults.
I am not sure what the current pass out policy is but I would not allow them to leave they don’t seem to come back. I live in Florida and may go back to coaching. So it makes it tough to attend games. But if I still lived in Indiana I would be there. This team deserves a chance. The fact that CTA and staff has been attracting the type of kids he is is amazing with the unimpressive atmosphere.

I agree. If we lose PSU game I believe the season could have gone a different way for both teams.

I believe as we look back that game will be seen as the springboard.

I agree. If we lose PSU game I believe the season could have gone a different way for both teams.

I believe as we look back that game will be seen as the springboard.
Yes, the PSU game showed the team that they never give up and can win games as a result. We saw a QB not giving up, receivers making incredible catches, Hewit's catch in the red zone as unbelievable, and coach Allen's decision to go for two was aggressive and on the money showing the team the belief the coaches had in them.

I am all for him , just thinking people may be getting a little ahead . It is great to see IU football be relevant I guess I am a little slower to think it has all changed. I remember thinking it had a few other times , we will see!
Cray, you know many of us have been waiting for a long time to get ahead of ourselves. We can't help it. Massive grin! Peace out and go Hoosiers!

I'm fired up, but totally get your reservations. The Iowa game will tell me whether or not I should keep my expectations high.
I have been committed to this program for many years. Always optimistic that we will be better year after year. One element that has changed for the last few years is our defense does not get manhandled. We have made teams work and make adjustments to move the ball. That in itself has been a significant improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT