ADVERTISEMENT

Open-source voting

Actually we have figured it out just fine. Whether it is audits of computer tabulated results vs hand recounts; or audits of ineligible voters who do vote.....there has rarely ever been anything of any substance found, whatsoever. The only significant case we've seen was the 2018 House race in NC, where there was some illegal absentee vote harvesting by a shady GOP operative. This was quickly sniffed out by the state who refused to certify the race.

This entire topic is smoke and mirrors, sour grapes by losers, or whatever other bullshit you may want to call it.

it's incredible that we can't figure out how to vote. now NYC's mayoral vote is all f'd up
NYC thing is a lot like what we had in Antrim County MI in 2020. There was a clear discrepancy (vote totals didn't match ballots) that led to real questions. And we had an explanation available for what happened by the next day. Of course different from many of the other allegations.

I read an article suggesting we change to open source voting. We replace expensive voting machines with simple PCs ($600 would be more than one has to pay) with a monitor (another $125) and a scanner (also $125). They run an open-source OS and an open-source voting program. Reading that, my idea was similar to how my county votes, one fills out a paper ballot and takes it to the computer to be scanned and tabulated. I would make one change. The vote is scanned and the results of the scan are sent to the monitor where the voter can see how the scanner interpreted the vote. There they can push "Submit vote" or "Cancel vote'. If they push cancel vote, their vote is not counted and the paper ballot they used is shredded. They then return back to fill out a new ballot.

Now some have developed a much more robust idea covering voter security. I love the idea in theory, but in practice it will fail. It involves the voter creating a password. Basically each person is mailed a card that identifies them for this election. That card and the password they used in registering to vote combine to be their access to the system. That completely eliminates the risk of people voting as someone else, they would have to get access to the card and the password. BUT, there is no chance people will remember their password. No chance, none. But the concept is explained below and is a good read for how we theoretically could improve security. We could always do this but instead of a password use a fingerprint. One would submit a print of two different fingers on different hands, if possible. This is in case of an injury to a hand just before the election. The system scans the fingerprint to confirm.

I do love the idea of replacing $3000 voting machines (and multi-thousand dollar service agreements) with less than $900 of PCs. I do like the idea in the pdf below that one can request the hash of the software and compare it to the online open-source hash. If the two agree, the software has not been altered. Any voter could request this and is not at all possible today.

Simply put, the current system is rife with abuse. This isn't the same as fraud.

As long as these are systems which are independent from systems from other voting blocks I would be fine with it. I also want Voter ID across the board so cheaters can't cheat. Only American Citizens eligible to vote should vote.

NYC thing is a lot like what we had in Antrim County MI in 2020. There was a clear discrepancy (vote totals didn't match ballots) that led to real questions. And we had an explanation available for what happened by the next day. Of course different from many of the other allegations.

This is a good take. The fact that we notice problems and audit and correct them is a good thing, it shows the system and it's checks and balances working.

There are a couple others. I have seen machines with privacy shields and ports. If a voter has the curtain drawn, can they access the voting software through the ports?
Do voting machines have accessible ports?
We are lucky, right now there is no proof machines have ever been compromised and no proof of your ineligible voter issue.
This is the whole frickin’ point. A scam that is discovered is a failed scam. All we can do is strengthen universal precautions. (Yes we have proof of ineligible voters).

Do voting machines have accessible ports?
Voting machines that connect to interwebs:

The PDF below speaks about port vulnerabilities

At DefCon they hacked machines through ports. Some had nothing between the user, some had a cheap locking mechanism defeated by a ballpoint pen. You can Google DefCon voting machine and find information.

Only a world class idiot would advocate for hand counting every single ballot in every single race. You can easily have a paper trail for conducting hand recounts in very close races....but you think the entire state of Indiana should have been hand counting millions of ballots to determine who won the last election in this state?

Good grief......

Fulton county(GA) spent $500k alone doing their hand recount. For one county.

Do you fail to understand auditing, basic level statistical sampling.....or really anything about anything?

only a world class idiot wouldn't grasp that a paper ballot not hand counted, is effectively the same as no paper ballot at all and just a computer vote.

and no one here has proven more times to be a world class idiot than you.

anyone pushing for computer scanning as the official count may just as well push for voting by computer, as there is effectively little difference.

that said, i guess we must not have had elections prior to computers, if using them is the only way we can have elections or count ballots.

If that is all true, why is Arizona conducting the audit by looking at all the ballots themselves?

Air gapping is nice but has a theoretical weakness. A computer with a sound card can be hacked via sound waves. Air gapping isn't perfect.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/computers-can-be-hacked-using-high-frequency-sound#:~:text= Computers Can Be Hacked Using High-Frequency Sound,history also suggests that countermeasures will... More .

But that isn't the biggest issue. There are a couple others. I have seen machines with privacy shields and ports. If a voter has the curtain drawn, can they access the voting software through the ports? The companies of course say no, but are we sure?

But even more than that, since I am currently taking a quick break 2/3rds the way through The Godfather, if Don Corleone wanted an IT guy in NYC to slip code into a hundred machines being deployed, do you think he could have arranged for it?

We are lucky, right now there is no proof machines have ever been compromised and no proof of your ineligible voter issue. BUT we know Russia, China, and others, would love to corrupt the system. I'm not too worried about the DNC or RNC hacking our systems. I'm not sure they could have a combination lock that uses only one number and there being one number on the lock. But the Russians or Chinese might opt for something, and they are a bit better. They might hire 100,000 people to vote illegally, but that is hard to hide. Someone is going to talk. But getting to a few voter IT people in some swing states? A bit more possible (and even then pretty unlikely).

"We are lucky, right now there is no proof machines have ever been compromised and no proof of your ineligible voter issue. BUT we know Russia, China, and others, would love to corrupt the system. I'm not too worried about the DNC or RNC hacking our systems. I'm not sure they could have a combination lock that uses only one number and there being one number on the lock. But the Russians or Chinese might opt for something, and they are a bit better. They might hire 100,000 people to vote illegally, but that is hard to hide. Someone is going to talk. But getting to a few voter IT people in some swing states? A bit more possible (and even then pretty unlikely)".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

spy_vs_spy-657x341.0.jpg

most these days have a very naive grasp of just who or what the RNC and DNC are, and just whom they represent.

as for China, if China wants to affect our elections, and they do, going through the RNC and/or DNC is the most likely way they would do it.

Russia on the other hand doesn't really have that ability, and is far less likely to have great effect on US elections or policy in a political system that has become so money based as ours.

if Russia had something on someone they could blackmail them with, they could go that route, but then so could China.

not sayin, just sayin.

that said, while everyone is fixated on the general, the primaries are far more likely to be targeted by those wanting to affect policy, as the primaries are where real change can occur.

only a world class idiot wouldn't grasp that a paper ballot not hand counted, is effectively the same as no paper ballot at all and just a computer vote.

and no one here has proven more times to be a world class idiot than you.

anyone pushing for computer scanning as the official count may just as well push for voting by computer, as there is effectively little difference.

that said, i guess we must not have had elections prior to computers, if using them is the only way we can have elections or count ballots.

Way to not answer the question. Do you want the state of Indiana to hand count every single ballot, for every election? Do you know the last time that even occurred?

Have you ever done statistical sampling? Do you even have the slightest clue how to calculate a Z score?

When's the last year you held a real job? And what was it?

Last edited:
Way to not answer the question. Do you want the state of Indiana to hand count every single ballot, for every election? Do you know the last time that even occurred?

Have you ever done statistical sampling? Do you even have the slightest clue how to calculate a Z score?

When's the last year you held a real job? And what was it?

i'm obviously dealing with a complete and total idiot.

it would be literally impossible for me to have answered your question, before you even asked it, any more clearly than i already have multiple times.

how brain dead level stupid are you????

there is literally no way i could have been any clearer.

and i've had direct dealings with heads of industry on a higher level than you have ever dreamed of.

i'm obviously dealing with a complete and total idiot.

it would be literally impossible for me to have answered your question, before you even asked it, any more clearly than i already have multiple times.

how brain dead level stupid are you????

there is literally no way i could have been any clearer.

and i've had direct dealings with heads of industry on a higher level than you have ever dreamed of.

Lol.... heads of industry. Lmao. Thanks for the laugh, gramps.

Reactions: outside shooter
Lastly, a fifth benefit of hiring a dedicated development team and software engineers is that they are able to provide a number of options when it comes to projects https://mlsdev.com/services/web-development. Typically, when a software product is being developed, it will undergo several phases before it reaches its final stage. In some cases, the software product may even go back to the drawing board before reaching its targeted market. However, by hiring dedicated development teams and software engineers, organizations are able to shorten the process down. In addition to this, when you hire dedicated professionals you are also able to get the assurance that you will be getting high quality software products that meet your exact requirements. Therefore, it is clear that organizations that need to hire these professionals should do so in order to reap the benefits that these professionals bring.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT