ADVERTISEMENT

One of many reasons why Pearl Jam is the best band out there

SportsInc

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2003
I don't post here often. You all may remember me as "Romanza," when I was in college I wrote for Peegs and got a free membership so I had to get a new username for the free membership...which is now SportsInc.

My wife passed away in May at the age of 30. It absolutely devastated me. She was my life. I met her while I was at IU (she was still a Sr at Bloomington South). We dated 5.5 years before we got married with no health issues (when she was a sophomore she got a kidney transplant from her dad). One month after our honeymoon, her transplanted kidney failed and she was on dialysis until her death.

She never let her health problems bother her. She never used it as a crutch. She had an odd way to deal with health issues as she would laugh at things. Some doctors couldn't believe how her family acted towards it. She was serious about it, but would go about it differently than most. (For instance, when you're on peritoneal dialysis, you have a long catheter coming out of your abdomen that drains fluid...basically pee. She always made jokes how her thing was longer than mine and she would whip it out and show it off...she always wanted to go into the mens room and see how it felt).

She got sick in late April, caught an infection, went into cardiac arrest and died...all within a week. It was horrible. It happened so fast and she got worse so fast I never got to say goodbye and I doubt she knew how bad it was. However, when she was living she was very open about what I needed to do if she died (funeral, burial vs cremation, where her ashes were to be spread). So I have spent the whole summer break (I teach HS) fulfilling all of her final wishes.

For her funeral service (which was a celebration like she wanted), I made a video for her with a Bruce Springsteen song and Pearl Jam song. That video is here, if interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcxlBoorHE

It was posted on the official Pearl Jam forum. And my request was for them to play that song at the Wrigley Field show, no dedication or anything. Just for them to play it. The people on that forum made sure the thread stayed at the top for the next two months. Go to this video and watch at the 2:30 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDIENVscu3A&feature=c4-overview&list=UUxdByFPoDkA3jjCxuJjIIvA

It was pretty amazing. And the first thing I thought is that my dear wife is still bringing me joy 76 days after she died. I will never forget what the band did for me and their tribute to my wife. How many bands would do that, seriously?

First of all.............

...sorry to hear that about your wife. That's awful.

Second, that's really cool they did that and I'm glad it brought you some good thoughts/memories.

I remember you.

Really sorry to hear about your wife's passing, man.

Pearl Jam rocks..

So sorry for your loss, man. But as you already know - she will be with you everywhere you go, even Wrigley Field. I wish you all the best, Romanza.

This post was edited on 7/24 9:33 AM by PaperMario01

Sorry for your loss, my condolences.

I've been a Pearl Jam fan for a long, long time. I'm not at all surprised they were cool enough to honor you and your wife like this.

This post was edited on 7/23 6:15 PM by Burn them all Ralphie

Cool story from a tragic situation.

That's cool, but it also sucks that it had to happen.

So sorry you lost your wife

That was awesome of them to do that for you.

awesome tribute

Great song. Look back on her life with fond memories and hang in there.

All the best.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

So I'm sitting here on the couch .....

and I've got tears in my eyes and Joy is asking me why and I'm telling her that I just saw the most amazing post on Peegs from a guy that loves his wife as much as I love you ...... and now she's crying and the dog's wondering what the hell is going on and we're a mess ..... and our hearts are breaking for you, Romanza.

Pearl Jam is great, but you and your wife are greater. Thanks for sharing this great story and the vid.

Damn I'm so sorry

That was a very cool video...not sure why it got so dusty in here.

So I have watched both videos

And am sitting here with eyes welled up. Beautiful video, I am so sorry for your loss. I do have to ask if i saw Dan Rose inthe slide show?

I definitely remember you.....

and wondered what happened as I hadn't seen your handle on the boards for awhile. Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss. Such a tragedy. That's way too short a time to spend with the love of your life. Best wishes for the future.

McHoop

I Remember Romanza

Sorry for your loss, bro.

Wonderful tribute.

Time heals all wounds.

Hope peace and happiness finds you and keeps you well.

Heartbreaking....so sorry for you.

Im not sure what the right words are. God bless

Damn dude....

...you dated a high school townie chick in college?

you had to go there...

Heartless prick.

I did chuckle though.

I remember you.

What a beautiful tribute to your wife. I'm so sorry that you lost her so tragically and so young. That is just heartbreaking.

I've always liked PJ myself, but wow, that was so amazing of them to do that. I'm glad it brought you some joy in a time that is so painful.

Just remember as time goes on that finding happiness is the greatest way you can honor your wife. Lean on your friends and family to support you right now as you navigate through this, they want to be there for you.

My sincere condolences to you. Thanks for sharing your story.

Beautiful tribute!

Thank you for sharing this. I can tell how happy you made her and your tribute was perfect. Her smile is something precious. I am so sorry for your loss.

Through the sleepless nights, and every endless day...

...I wanna hear you say, I remember you.

This post was edited on 7/23 10:21 PM by Rangeline Fan

so sorry for your lose. and thanks for sharing.

i cannot imagine what you have gone through.

Wow. That was an amazing tribute.

Sorry for your loss. I can't imagine. I remember you from the boards very well. Don't be a stranger.

Oh wow.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing all of this. I can't really imagine what the last several months have been like for you, or what the upcoming months will bring, but I'll keep you in my thoughts.

(From another long-time Peegster, current lurker who remembers you from your former username.)

So sorry about your loss.

I can't help but think that you felt more in a very short time than most people feel in a lifetime. As tragic as your loss is, it sounds like the short time you had was as good as anyone could ask for. She sounds like an amazing girl. Now I'll never hear Pearl Jam without thinking of you guys.

This all feels very cathartic.I really liked the tributes (both yours...

and Pearl Jam's). Thanks for sharing that and best wishes to you, sir.

heart breaking.......

I'm sorry for your loss.

Take care

Had no idea you were "Hoosiers" over there, I rarely ever post but I bumped your thread just because of the likelihood of it being an IU grad/fan etc. and wondered if they posted on Peegs too.

I was also at the show Friday night and was really happy the band came through for you with the amazing tribute. It was really a great memory. Was sorta hoping they would play "Sad" too.

So very sorry for your loss.

This post was edited on 7/24 3:08 AM by MaryisCrazy

Wow...incredibly heart-warming. And I'm very sorry for your loss.

Hope you're able to start hanging out here again when you have the time. This place is great for some laughs....especially at times when you really need them.

I remember you also

That was an amazing video tribute you did of your wife and from the pics and what you said, I can tell she was a special lady. What a smile! Very, very cool that Pearl Jam did that. I too, will think of you guys whenever I hear a Pearl Jam song. Hang in there. ( the OTF doesn't get me to tears too often, but yours did).

Glad I worked from home today...

... because that hit me harder than any Peegs post I can remember.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like your wife was an incredible woman.

I remember

reading when you first posted about her passing and never saw what had happened. I'm so sorry for you loss. So, so young. It's very cool that they played that for her/you.

+1

That was a post everyone should take a moment to read and watch the slideshow. It is the most meaningful post I can remember seeing. A beautiful life for sure!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT