ADVERTISEMENT

One more gun discharge

An estimated 22,000 people, many of them armed, showed up in Richmond Virginia to demonstrate against their proposed new gun laws. Not a single shot fired and they cleaned up before they left.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/us/virginia-gun-rally.amp.html
Yes and they dressed like this:
20VIRGINIA-GUN-RALLY-promo-superJumbo-v2.jpg

And said things like:

Chris Dement, 22, said that he was glad to see the demonstration was peaceful but that he was prepared to use a 9-millimeter carbine — which he brought to stand in solidarity — for self-defense in case of violence.

“It’s never out of the realm of possibility,” he said.
And:

“Guns protected this country for a couple of hundred years, and this two-faced governor just wants to take them,” he said, referring to Gov. Ralph Northam, a Democrat who has agreed to sign provisions banning guns in parks and limiting handgun purchases if Virginia lawmakers approve them.
So, increasingly, the debate is between pretend soldiers who want essentially zero gun control, want to intimidate to get their way, exaggerate and refuse to engage whatsoever with reasonable proposals to address gun violence, and include at least some violent supremacists on one side and a growing group of moms, citizens and politicians looking into measured answers to provide for the well-being of their families and constituents on the other.

The rally you're fond of might not be sending the message you think it is.

Civil War II: Gun control could push Virginia counties to join West Virginia

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-push-virginia-counties-to-join-west-virginia

“In the latest, and most evident, in this string of grievances, the government at Richmond now seeks to place intolerable restraints upon the rights guaranteed under the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution to the citizens of that Commonwealth,” said the Howell legislation, now before the rules committee. Howell is on the rules committee and is also the chairman of the Government Organization Committee.

The bottom line in the legislation: “In a spirit of conciliation, the legislature of West Virginia hereby extends an invitation to our fellow Virginians who wish to do so, to join us in our noble experiment of 156 years of separation from the government at Richmond; and, we extend an invitation to any constituent county or city of the Commonwealth of Virginia to be admitted to the body politic of the state of West Virginia.”​

And said things like:

Chris Dement, 22, said that he was glad to see the demonstration was peaceful but that he was prepared to use a 9-millimeter carbine — which he brought to stand in solidarity — for self-defense in case of violence.

And:

“Guns protected this country for a couple of hundred years, and this two-faced governor just wants to take them,” he said, referring to Gov. Ralph Northam, a Democrat who has agreed to sign provisions banning guns in parks and limiting handgun purchases if Virginia lawmakers approve them.
So, increasingly, the debate is between pretend soldiers who want essentially zero gun control, want to intimidate to get their way, exaggerate and refuse to engage whatsoever with reasonable proposals to address gun violence, and include at least some violent supremacists on one side and a growing group of moms, citizens and politicians looking into measured answers to provide for the well-being of their families and constituents on the other.

Soldiers?

And said things like:

And:

What’s the problem with what either of those guys said? Seems like common sense.

And your last paragraph is nonsense. They don’t want “no” gun control, they just don’t want more gun control, which the state of Virginia is attempting to shove down their throats. That’s a crucial difference.

And I’d feel quite a bit safer there than, say, Chicago, where 109(!) people have already been shot this year. In a city which, ironically, has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation.

What’s the problem with what either of those guys said? Seems like common sense.

And your last paragraph is nonsense. They don’t want “no” gun control, they just don’t want more gun control, which the state of Virginia is attempting to shove down their throats. That’s a crucial difference.

And I’d feel quite a bit safer there than, say, Chicago, where 109(!) people have already been shot this year. In a city which, ironically, has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation.

These guys are all like the idiot carrying his AR into the coffee shop. They could have travelled to Richmond to protest dressed like normal members of society and not outfitted like a special ops team. But they chose not to. They chose not to because they want shock value. They want to intimidate. Are you really defending these types? Come on. No one feels safer with these guys playing the part of Delta Force.

And how many times are you going to ignore that a large portion of the guns in Chicago get there through Indiana, which has some of the weakest laws on the country. And actually they’d probably prefer NO gun laws. 90 percent of the public is for stricter gun registration laws, yet these wannabe play soldiers are so brave most of them didn’t even want to show their faces. So many males overcompensating.....

These guys are all like the idiot carrying his AR into the coffee shop. They could have travelled to Richmond to protest dressed like normal members of society and not outfitted like a special ops team. But they chose not to. They chose not to because they want shock value. They want to intimidate. Are you really defending these types? Come on. No one feels safer with these guys playing the part of Delta Force.
I’m not defending anyone.

I always wonder what kind of goofball plays dress-up as an adult. Forget the weapons, my wife would laugh me out of the house or have me put on a 48 hour evaluation if I stepped out of the bedroom dressed like those knuckleheads. Are their lives so devoid of normal human interaction that seek each other out?

Reactions: UncleMark

The Chicago talking points are as dumb as they come

zeke4ahs said:

Concealed Nation. Now that sounds like the kind of thing I need to subscribe to. What a country!

Being that I have my CHL and carry daily, I also subscribe to Concealed Nation.

Only a lib with Trump Derangement Syndrome would think a girl being stopped by a good guy with a gun is a bad thing. In Zeke’s fantasy world, the little girl would have just asked not to be kidnapped and she would have been let go. You know, because bad guys always follow the laws. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
U bad ass u

Being that I have my CHL and carry daily, I also subscribe to Concealed Nation.

Only a lib with Trump Derangement Syndrome would think a girl being stopped by a good guy with a gun is a bad thing. In Zeke’s fantasy world, the little girl would have just asked not to be kidnapped and she would have been let go. You know, because bad guys always follow the laws. :rolleyes:
U bad ass u[/QUOTE]
But why are you so afraid?

Okay, but what's that mean. Does every gun that doesn't kill someone somehow cancel out a gun that does kill someone?

I just don't understand the point you're trying to make.
I think, in this thread, the question should be “does every gun that kills someone somehow cancel out the hundreds of thousands that do not?”

Because that seems to be the implication.

You should take that up with the thread starter.

I think, in this thread, the question should be “does every gun that kills someone somehow cancel out the hundreds of thousands that do not?”

Because that seems to be the implication.

You should take that up with the thread starter.
That's not the point of the thread, though. Take issue with the premise if you like, but the point of the thread seems to be that s lot of guns do kill people. It's not about canceling anything out at all.

An estimated 22,000 people, many of them armed, showed up in Richmond Virginia to demonstrate against their proposed new gun laws. Not a single shot fired and they cleaned up before they left.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/us/virginia-gun-rally.amp.html

In the fine words of Chris Rock, "You don't get credit for things you're supposed to do."

You wanna throw a party because a bunch of nimrods got together, didn't shoot anybody, and threw out their garbage? Way to meet those high expectations guys! :rolleyes:

That's not the point of the thread, though. Take issue with the premise if you like, but the point of the thread seems to be that s lot of guns do kill people. It's not about canceling anything out at all.
Ok, and I posted a story about 22,000 gun owners demonstrating in one spot, many of them armed, and not one of those guns killed anyone.

IE, while many guns do kill people, far far more guns do not.

I’m wondering why you can’t figure this out.

Ok, and I posted a story about 22,000 gun owners demonstrating in one spot, many of them armed, and not one of those guns killed anyone.

IE, while many guns do kill people, far far more guns do not.

I’m wondering why you can’t figure this out.

For the most part, guns are not the issue. There are a couple issues, one is how to stop people who should not have guns from having them. The related issue, involving the guns themselves, is how might we reduce the carnage if someone who should not have a gun gets one. That is where the discussion on high velocity comes in.

One way to compare this is with Iran. We have decided, correctly in my view, that Iran should not have the bomb. We actually do not want them to have any weapons, but we especially do not want them to have the bomb.

I do not want a murderer to have a small pistol, but I really do not want them to have a high velocity semi automatic.

By the way, the point of these reminders (obviously and again) isn't to say that guns are bad or that responsible gun ownership doesn't exist or that we shouldn't defend the right to self-protection. Rather, it's a question of whether we can require any responsibility whatsoever when it comes to gun ownership, whether that responsibility today in practice remotely matches the NRA-type claims, and whether the culture promoted by groups like the NRA makes any reasoned conversation possible.

This latest sad event speaks to those points.

By the way, the point of these reminders (obviously and again) isn't to say that guns are bad or that responsible gun ownership doesn't exist or that we shouldn't defend the right to self-protection.

Okay, but I don’t NEED to defend that right. That right has always been mine. It’s a right I was born with in this country. I don’t need to explain or defend it to anyone.

Rather, it's a question of whether we can require any responsibility whatsoever when it comes to gun ownership, whether that responsibility today in practice remotely matches the NRA-type claims, and whether the culture promoted by groups like the NRA makes any reasoned conversation possible.

This latest sad event speaks to those points.

This doesn’t make sense to me. There are MILLIONS of responsible gun owners in this country. They aren’t the problem, aside from the occasional accident like the one you posted. And for every one of those, there are incidents like the ones I’ve posted, where gun ownership has SAVED lives. If anything, those incidents are vastly underreported.

What's your proof?

Seriously? You’re asking for proof that there are millions of responsible gun owners in this country? 30 percent of adults in this country own guns. I’m no math major but I’m guessing most of those who reported they owned a gun would qualify as responsible.

What's your proof for that specific statistic (and compare with this)?

Well, that’s an opinion article wherein the study he cites isn’t linked.

I do happen to have a study from the CDC, if you’re interested(emphasis mine).

Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed (Cook and Ludwig, 1996; Kleck, 2001a). Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million (Kleck, 2001a), in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008 (BJS, 2010).

https://www.nap.edu/read/18319/chapter/3#15

You misunderstood my edit. I think the notion of widespread responsible gun ownership is indeed a myth.

I think the absence of consequence for deaths like the one in my last post is obviously a concern so you’re wrong that I’ve not referenced any concern.

I think the grandfather chalking his grandson’s death up to the kid’s inquisitiveness is totally wrong and an indicator of the gun culture. I think his misapprehension that he and his wife are totally responsible and safe when it comes to gun ownership is totally wrong and an indicator of the gun culture. Gun owners who neither feel nor take responsibility or accountability contribute to a grave sloppiness as part of our gun culture. And so on and so on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT