ADVERTISEMENT

'One and Done' MAY be done in 2021

I don't give a crap if it helps or hurts Calipari to get rid of the OAD. He may have to look at player development and focus on academics a little more after the first semester,. It will be up to others to worry about and schedule for years 2, 3 and 4.

My personal feeling is that programs that have relied on a roster of rental players have missed out on watching the growth and development of players. I don't think it has been healthy for college basketball.

A player like LeBron James has no business being forced to attend college or play somewhere else before being accepted into the NBA draft. Kids graduate and go into the military, go to trade schools, or start working at an entry level job. College is not for everyone. Basketball players should be offered the same opportunities as other high school graduates.

There will be some that make bad decisions despite the urging of people to delay entry. There should be some method for those mistakes to be reversed. I don't believe failure to be drafted should make them ineligible to ever play college basketball.
I never understand why people complain when profession sports put in requirements to be hired into their league but not when other professions do the same thing. Most jobs that people apply for has requirements to meet before they will be considered for a job and that is exactly what the NBA or any other league is doing.

Signing with an agent makes you a ineligible for college basketball.
I would like to see a way for a kid to go undrafted with or without an agent and be allowed to apply for reinstating their amateur status. It should require some work to keep everyone from doing it. I would accept a short suspension if that helps keep it only used as a last resort.

I never understand why people complain when profession sports put in requirements to be hired into their league but not when other professions do the same thing. Most jobs that people apply for has requirements to meet before they will be considered for a job and that is exactly what the NBA or any other league is doing.
If 18 year old kids can make the decision to serve in our military, they should be able to get paid to play a game.

A 19 year old doesn't suddenly become any more ready to play in the NBA.

Reactions: BigMobe
If 18 year old kids can make the decision to serve in our military, they should be able to get paid to play a game.

A 19 year old doesn't suddenly become any more ready to play in the NBA.
Also it is not about them being more ready but it gives the NBA more of a chance to see how good they are. They were making way to many mistakes picking kids right out of high school so having them play college just gives them more of a evaluation.

Reactions: IUgradman
So should we let someone really good in science at age 18 just become a doctor

there is no age limit for medical licensure

and comparing basketball to medicine?

always a treat when you chime in with 1000 replies, iuscott

"I don't understand why people think..." hrmmmmmmph

Reactions: fpeaugh
Some here will just never admit Cal is a good coach. At least we don’t have to hear them adamantly demand that Crean is a better coach than him anymore. The knowledgeable posters had to hear this nonsense for 7-8 years and avoid bashing our heads into a wall. It was painful.
Link?

Reactions: hondo314
A player like LeBron James has no business being forced to attend college or play somewhere else before being accepted into the NBA draft. Kids graduate and go into the military, go to trade schools, or start working at an entry level job. College is not for everyone. Basketball players should be offered the same opportunities as other high school graduates.

There will be some that make bad decisions despite the urging of people to delay entry. There should be some method for those mistakes to be reversed. I don't believe failure to be drafted should make them ineligible to ever play college basketball.

This.

I think we may see relative few go from high school to the NBA draft. Owners may be in love with potential, by they might rather have a look at potential against better competition than other high schoolers.

Do h.s. baseball players have to explicitly declare for the draft?

Boogie, if you read back thru my responses you’ll see I think Cal is a good coach. But how hot does his seat become if he goes multiple years w/o a Final Four - say they don’t get there this coming season?

If you’re honest you know there was complaining on Rupp Rafters last winter when UK was going thru a funk. If he’s still targeting kids looking to go OAD even if they’re the ones who can go straight from HS, he still be turning over the roster nearly every year - almost guarantees having a young, inexperienced (yet talented) squad.

Yes, Romeo would be playing in the NBA next season if he could. In that would be good with that. If I’m an accountant I can leave early and go into the business, but not in basketball? That rule was put in place to keep general managers from making bad picks.
As you know we are insane and sometimes don’t think rationally. Yes, we did complain last year when we went through our funk it happens every year even if we don’t beat a team by 40 we have Debbie downers. Cals seat will never beat hot as you may think. He will adjust to the rules and get the players he wants that fit the system. Nobody saw sga as a oad lottery pick and cal recruited him as atleast a two year player. As long as cal is putting out competitive teams that have a chance at winning a title he has no chance of being fired. I know what you’re thinking, what about tubby? Tubby was a very good coach and even better person, his problem was he couldn’t recruit consistently at Kentucky to compete which is why he eventually left. I don’t hate tubby like some do. He won a title for us. Cal is always one step omahead if the game, he’s not a great bench coach but he’s a good one. When the rule is in place he will go after guys he knows will come here to compete for a title I’m not worried in the least.

The professions that do this require esoteric knowledge and/or have safety concerns. For example: lawyers, doctors, and nurses.Those have legal requirements for education and license/certification. Others would be scientists and engineers. Those are usually companies requiring a certain degrees of education although I'm sure if someone otherwise proved themselves they could be hired without the education (exception is a engineer consultant which often requires a certification).

Now compare those to the NBA. What does placing an age limit on players entering the league do? The players are viewed, not only by the public but by the professionals, as already having the skills needed to play in the league so the year. It only serves to protect the current players from more competition and GMs from making a bad decision although the latter still occurs.

Last edited:
So should we let someone really good in science at age 18 just become a doctor
You're comparing playing basketball to practicing medicine? If a basketball players screws up the team maybe loses the game. If a doctor screws up someone could die. Invalid argument.

Also, there have probably been 18 year olds who have (or could have) earned doctorates in science or possibly even as medical doctor. They're called geniuses. Have you seen the stories of 12, 13, and 14 year olds earning their undergraduate degrees? If they continued on they could have their doctorate by 18.

Last edited:
Reactions: fpeaugh
Also it is not about them being more ready but it gives the NBA more of a chance to see how good they are. They were making way to many mistakes picking kids right out of high school so having them play college just gives them more of a evaluation.
They always have the option to not draft the kids. There are plenty every year that go undrafted so it happens.

As you know we are insane and sometimes don’t think rationally. Yes, we did complain last year when we went through our funk it happens every year even if we don’t beat a team by 40 we have Debbie downers. Cals seat will never beat hot as you may think. He will adjust to the rules and get the players he wants that fit the system. Nobody saw sga as a oad lottery pick and cal recruited him as atleast a two year player. As long as cal is putting out competitive teams that have a chance at winning a title he has no chance of being fired. I know what you’re thinking, what about tubby? Tubby was a very good coach and even better person, his problem was he couldn’t recruit consistently at Kentucky to compete which is why he eventually left. I don’t hate tubby like some do. He won a title for us. Cal is always one step omahead if the game, he’s not a great bench coach but he’s a good one. When the rule is in place he will go after guys he knows will come here to compete for a title I’m not worried in the least.
Tubby was a better bench coach than Cal at UK. And Tubby was fired.

Bench coaching is probably 25% of college coaching. As a whole there’s no comparison between Cal and Tubby.
"I was worried about losing until I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown. Then I knew we had a chance."

Reactions: Brockway
Cal has never won anything without guys like Anthony Davis, Marcus Camby, Wall, or DRose. Those guys will all now go straight to the NBA and he will actually have to develop players which he's never shown the ability to do. This will absolutely hurt Cal. I would absolutely take a senior like Juwan Morgan over the fringe 5 stars that Cal will be able to rent for a year or 2 once players can go straight to the pros.

Cal actually.has really good coaches that help develop key players on good teams we've had. The best of the best will go pro. The 2nd level guys will want to go to a place that prepares them for the next step. This actually may be pretty good for UK.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
So, is that an excuse? Bruce Weber was at UI, Crean at Marquette, and Davis at IU......

And maybe he went to the NBA because of the Camby thing?

You do know he cheated, right? That’s 2 vacated final fours. Rose and Camby......it’s amazing he still is allowed to coach

Why didn’t a power 5 come calling when he came back from NBA?

We have data for Cal pre one and done.

And you just assume since he is at UK, everything will be the exact same. It won’t be......

I wouldn’t worry about it, Cal won’t be at UK past 2021

Lol. Umm Cal did pretty good before one and done..if.you say he cant coach. Then you know nothing about basketball..as far as him leaving.ok . Gonna happen adventually. I think UK will be ok. UK has won titles with 5 different coaches..maybe theprogram and Big Blu Nation demand winning.

Cal actually.has really good coaches that help develop key players on good teams we've had. The best of the best will go pro. The 2nd level guys will want to go to a place that prepares them for the next step. This actually may be pretty good for UK.

Players can go to plenty of places and achieve this.

Calipari, while a good coach, isn't some magician at developing guys. IF the OAD is abolished, it will be interesting to see how he does.

He is above average. But just look through history. If you come in highly.ranked.you will get drafted high or reasonable. There have been a lot of guys who passed on UK and went to other schools..and fall off the radar. Not saying thats Cal. But it happens a lot. UK offers crazy exposure and media attention. Not all schools can offer what UK does. Some kids like that. Some don't. I'm not this crazy UK fan.who is invested only in the coach, i believe 100% that a coach at Uk gets all the tools he needs to be successful .
So if Cal bounced. I'm sure UK will find a good replacement and keep moving forward. UK will be fine.

Tubby was a better bench coach than Cal at UK. And Tubby was fired.

Tubby was fired for taking a program.that was at the highest level of college ball..and over time Tubby made it mediocre..you think Creans last couple of years were bad. What Tubby had coming in. UK would of fallen middle of SEC. No way would the fans or admin let that happen..regardless of Tubbys x and o. Plus Tubby had some moments. But he also missed used and under evaluated talent..more to cosching then just writing up a play.

Tubby was fired for taking a program.that was at the highest level of college ball..and over time Tubby made it mediocre..you think Creans last couple of years were bad. What Tubby had coming in. UK would of fallen middle of SEC. No way would the fans or admin let that happen..regardless of Tubbys x and o. Plus Tubby had some moments. But he also missed used and under evaluated talent..more to cosching then just writing up a play.
Tubby wasn’t tired, he left on his own accord, but was forced out with the surrounding pressure. Tubby is a heck of a coach that can do more with less. What killed him was the Jason Parker/carruth guys. After he got them and they failed he didn’t get anything of substance till 04-05, with tayshaun as an all American. Had he won it in 2003 with the team he had put together he may still be the coach at uk.

Lol. Umm Cal did pretty good before one and done..if.you say he cant coach. Then you know nothing about basketball..as far as him leaving.ok . Gonna happen adventually. I think UK will be ok. UK has won titles with 5 different coaches..maybe theprogram and Big Blu Nation demand winning.

Never said he was a bad coach. Just that doing away with one and done will hurt him. Current success will be much tougher without one and done.

And again, I said UK will be fine.....but the next coach will be ran out of town fast. Just can’t keep up with Cal currently.....very few can.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
He is above average. But just look through history. If you come in highly.ranked.you will get drafted high or reasonable. There have been a lot of guys who passed on UK and went to other schools..and fall off the radar. Not saying thats Cal. But it happens a lot. UK offers crazy exposure and media attention. Not all schools can offer what UK does. Some kids like that. Some don't. I'm not this crazy UK fan.who is invested only in the coach, i believe 100% that a coach at Uk gets all the tools he needs to be successful .
So if Cal bounced. I'm sure UK will find a good replacement and keep moving forward. UK will be fine.
I agree with most everything you say.

But if the best HS kids can go pro straight out instead of the current OAD requirement, Calipari no longer will have the John Wall / Boogie / KAT’s available. They’ll still be good, and they’ll likely - as you say - still be drafted in s reasonably decent position.

But that will leave UK perpetually young - and without the transcendental OAD it’s going to be extremely difficult for Calipari to maintain the level of success to keep BBN happy. IMHO if Kentucky doesn’t make the Final Four this year his seat will get hot (although the pickup of Travis was a solid piece).

I agree with most everything you say.

But if the best HS kids can go pro straight out instead of the current OAD requirement, Calipari no longer will have the John Wall / Boogie / KAT’s available. They’ll still be good, and they’ll likely - as you say - still be drafted in s reasonably decent position.

But that will leave UK perpetually young - and without the transcendental OAD it’s going to be extremely difficult for Calipari to maintain the level of success to keep BBN happy. IMHO if Kentucky doesn’t make the Final Four this year his seat will get hot (although the pickup of Travis was a solid piece).
His seat is essentially a full cooler of beer with the top open. You couldn’t get much colder.

Cal will never be fired from UK for performance. He’ll leave on his own when he wants to.

His seat is essentially a full cooler of beer with the top open. You couldn’t get much colder.

Cal will never be fired from UK for performance. He’ll leave on his own when he wants to.
You may be right, but let’s see UK not make another Final Four before 2022. That beer will be hot enough to boil brats.

But if Cal finds the same fate as Pitino then he will just be fired. I expect his reputation to fall as his recruiting talent level drops back to the pack, with his main coaching strength (recruiting) reduced. Cal may move on to the NBA before he is exposed further as a great recruiter but average bench coach and his coaching value $$$ drops..

You may be right, but let’s see UK not make another Final Four before 2022. That beer will be hot enough to boil brats.
Statistically Cal goes to the Final Four nearly every other year. No reason to think that trend will change.

But if Cal finds the same fate as Pitino then he will just be fired. I expect his reputation to fall as his recruiting talent level drops back to the pack, with his main coaching strength (recruiting) reduced. Cal may move on to the NBA before he is exposed further as a great recruiter but average bench coach and his coaching value $$$ drops..
Most great leaders/owners/managers etc are great because they hire great people, not because they make all the decisions themself. That’s the sign of a good leader.

No different in coaching. Get the best players and you don’t have to create the best scheme.

Statistically Cal goes to the Final Four nearly every other year. No reason to think that trend will change.
He does?

He made it to the FF in 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015. But he not getting the same transcendental OAD he did during that period of seasons. And if those players are able to go pro straight out of HS, he’s gonna field teams similar to those since 2015 - and just how many Final Fours has he been to since then?

I’ve said this for a long time: Cal is a good coach. Really good. But he’s not some damn miracle worker, no matter what he sells to recruits. He’ll still get good recruits and UK will still be good - but if he keeps turning over the roster every season, he’s gonna have a young team year after year. And UNLESS you have overwhelming talent to help compensate, it’s gonna be difficult to maintain what he did from 2010-15.

No coach is going to have a new roster of 2nd tier players every year and achieve that. Cal hasn’t. K hasn’t. Neither of us know FOR SURE, but don’t be naïve to think he won’t be on the hot seat if he doesn’t get the Cats back to the FF within the next 3 years.

He does?

He made it to the FF in 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015. But he not getting the same transcendental OAD he did during that period of seasons. And if those players are able to go pro straight out of HS, he’s gonna field teams similar to those since 2015 - and just how many Final Fours has he been to since then?

I’ve said this for a long time: Cal is a good coach. Really good. But he’s not some damn miracle worker, no matter what he sells to recruits. He’ll still get good recruits and UK will still be good - but if he keeps turning over the roster every season, he’s gonna have a young team year after year. And UNLESS you have overwhelming talent to help compensate, it’s gonna be difficult to maintain what he did from 2010-15.

No coach is going to have a new roster of 2nd tier players every year and achieve that. Cal hasn’t. K hasn’t. Neither of us know FOR SURE, but don’t be naïve to think he won’t be on the hot seat if he doesn’t get the Cats back to the FF within the next 3 years.
Last year he had 5 five stars, this year he has 4, he already has one signed in 2019, he’s showing zero signs of slowing down.

And he’s been to 4 Final Fours in the last 8 years. Statistically that’s every other year. For comparison Coach K, arguably the best of all time, has been to 4 Final Fours in the last 19 years. Cal’s seat will never be hot at UK.

Last year he had 5 five stars, this year he has 4, he already has one signed in 2019, he’s showing zero signs of slowing down.

And he’s been to 4 Final Fours in the last 8 years. Statistically that’s every other year. For comparison Coach K, arguably the best of all time, has been to 4 Final Fours in the last 19 years. Cal’s seat will never be hot at UK.
How many Final Fours has Calipari been to since 2015?

You can ignore the obvious all you want. He might have gotten five 5 stars last year - but how did they finish?

FACT - no coach has recruited like Calipari has the last 3-4 years and consistently gone to Final Fours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT