ADVERTISEMENT

On October 17, 2013 the President

davegolf

All-American
Sep 18, 2001
had a news conference concerning the passage of a bill ending the government shutdown. He criticized his opponents on their actions and then President Obama said: "You don't like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election. Push to change it. But don't break it. Don't break what our predecessors spent over two centuries building. That's not being faithful to what this country's about." The voters spoke loudly and clearly and yet he says he is still willing to go it alone and doing it his way. Can we not have confidence in anything he says or is he the consummate liar? The voters have spoken and he certainly does not have a mandate to do it his way.

You do realize he's still President, right?

He has to work with an opposition Congress now, but he still has his own agenda, and the term we voters have given him to pursue that agenda doesn't end for two more years.

Just because the R's won this round does not mean he has to stop being

himself. If he continues to be himself and the voters really can't stand it then you can expect another R-wave in 2016, including the capturing of the White House.

Republicans did not stop being Republicans when they were down. Why would you expect Democrats to stop being Democrats?

Both sides in this fight seem to have an attitude (when the situation applies) of "we won the election so now everyone has to do what we want." The checks and balances built into the Constitution are there precisely to prevent that kind of thinking from taking root, and it was worked well for nine quarter centuries now.

If you really want to see the country run by Republicans then you need to get 60+ senators, and the house, and the Presidency - and then you need to hope that enough of the Supremes from the liberal side retire during that time so that they can be replaced by conservatives. It is very difficult to have that happen.

"Democracy is the worst form of government in the world, except for all the others".

Re: Just because the R's won this round does not mean he has to stop being

I would expect the election to have atleast had an affect on this President based on his statement. Acting on his own to promote an agenda which has been rejected does not take into consideration his statement of intent.

Should any President promote his own personal political agenda above the will of the American voter? By inference he stated he would accept the will of the people in an election but his actions seem to speak otherwise after he received a message he did not like.

What actions, BTW?

Could you spell out exactly what Obama has done all of a sudden to indicate to you that he's going to try to run an end-around on Congress? I have been busy this week, and may have missed something in the news.

goat

Very well said, Doug.

I could not have said it any better. Thank you.
sign0098.r191677.gif

Great point but in fact I don't want to see the Country run by republicans especially the current leadership. What I would like to see is a President and Congress working together to solve problems. We should solve the immigration problem through appropriate legislation and not by threats from this President to go it alone in the next 90 days. The decision is not his but one for America and its voters.

Yep, both sides think

they have a mandate when they win and then go out and fall on their face because of that kind of thinking. Remember Obama's "I won" comment....that is what is wrong with both sides. I'd almost guarantee that the Rs will come out in the next congress with the same attitude.

The voters put the R's in control to stop Obama's agenda. Nobody wants

amnesty,not the majority anyways. Nobody wanted Obamacare,not the majority anyways. Every dirty trick was used to ram rod that albatross down our throats. Not one Republican voted for it.

Re: Yep, both sides think

My point was Obama said eloquently if you disagree go out and get voter support. We did overwhelmingly and now he is in denial and says it makes no difference.

Could it be that people voted for Pubs...

...because they liked them, and it had nothing to do with Obama?

I realize Pubs played the anti-Obama card in many elections, but there were other factors in a good many races including how voters perceived a particular Pub and his opponent.

And therein lies the problem

Republicans didn't vote for most issues that were brought up, even if they were ideas originated by them. They were much more concerned with thwarting Obama's agenda than they were actually working to make healthcare better. The fact the no Republicans voted for it should mean something, but unfortunately, it hasn't.

And the people that voted for obamacare

Didn't even know what they were voting for.

Most republicans shut up during the election. They let the dems hang

themselves with their record with Obama's policies. I believe this election had everything to do with Obama and not much about the pubs. But the voters did show that they are not in favor of the President's policies. That is for sure.

However, voting against

Obama's agenda does NOT translate into voting for the Republican agenda and that is where both sides make a big mistake.

Correct, it does not

translate. However, it clearly means that the nation rejected - repudiated, if you will - the Obama name, agenda and party.

Republicans won the Senate, increased the House to record level, have 33 Governors and 66 legislative bodies. Only 7 states now have Democrats in control of both houses of their legislature.

Now it is up to Republicans to put forward their "agenda" or plan and execute it to the extent possible.

The repudiation of Obama and all he stands for is NOT approval of anything Republican(though in some individual races on individual issues it probably is) except as a preferable alternative to the other candidate.

Its one thing to win big. Its another to do something with those large majorities.

I still take issue with your characterization.

I think we already debated this last week, but I think it should be stressed that American voters did not vote for Republicans my large majorities. About 51% reported voting for Republican House candidates, to 47% for Democrats. In the Senate, the spread was wider, 53%-46%, which is clearly due to the fact that the seats up for election this year were skewed in favor of red states (also, if you count Orman as a Democrat, which you insisted he was, the total is 52%-47%, similar to the House)*.

The structural realities of Congress give the Republicans an advantage, especially in the House. But the actual partisan spread among voters is not that great. By way of comparison, Republican Senate candidates received about 2.7 million more votes than Democratic candidates. This is smaller than the Republican lead in 2010 (over 3 million) and much smaller than the Democratic victory in 2012 (over 10 million).

While I appreciate the desire to read into this some type of historic drubbing, you of all people should know that the number of seats won does not necessarily reflect the level of support a party enjoys among the population as a whole.

Now, that's not to say there aren't a couple of things about the election that should be troubling to Democrats. While it's easy to explain the Congressional blowout as partially structural in nature, the loss of governorships is scary. Also bothersome should be the fact that exit polls showed that Democrats and Republicans came out in roughly the same numbers. The Republican victory was due to slightly more Democrats crossing over than the other way around, and a 54%-42% lean toward Republicans among independents.

goat

* I haven't seen a comprehensive list of House numbers, so those are based on exit polls. The Senate numbers are based on actual reported votes.

I had to chuckle

because the next page I happened upon after reading your post was this one.
smile.r191677.gif

I don't believe

that. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't watch a lot of pre-election coverage but what I did see was the Rs saying the were NOT Obama. Same thing that Obama run on in 2008...not Bush.

Re: And therein lies the problem

I haven't kept count but a lot of legislation was introduced in the House to attempt to solve problems but set in the office of Harry Reid because he did not want to give them any credit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT