ADVERTISEMENT

On another note, I am really concerned

Pigalow

All-American
Nov 8, 2012
& pissed, about the loss of Ballou & Rhea. I try to not to be bitter & all sour grapes, but we needed them so much more Alabama does. & to hear them say, "we were happy at Indiana, but Alabama made us an offer we couldn't refuse", that just makes my blood boil, I admit it! It does, I'm that stupid, foolish guy! I'm particularly fearful that a lot of higher tier recruits were considering us, mainly due to their ability to help them get to the NFL(I know it, actually), & although I've heard good things about Wellman, & it surely appears that we could have done a lot worse replacing those 2, it still leaves me feeling like...we as an athletic department, should have done whatever nece$$ary to keep Ballou & Rhea, that they were the game changers we've needed for decades(even though that's a realistic wish, just more sour grapes & whining). But....I can only control what I can control, & it's possible we'll continue onward & upward nonetheless. I sure hope so. Of course, I should be more concerned about whether or not we'll even get the chance to go onward & upward anytime soon, & SAFELY, for everyone.

There was literally nothing that we could have done to keep those two here. Why people think the move was about money is beyond me.

Putting Alabama on their resume when they have a chance at a national championship year in and year out is something that we don't offer. It's not hard to understand at all.

We really lucked out in getting Wellman. The Giants really liked him. When they fired their old coach , they told the incoming coach that Aaron was to be retained. They felt he was one of the best in his field. He had a great situation there . The reason we got him was because he consider Taking the IU job as coming home , other wise he would he would still be in New York. I think having him is a great selling point for IU. We have a guy who was at the top of his field in the NFL , and he chose to leave and come to IU. If anyone knows what you need to get to the pros it would be Aaron. I was disappointed when Ballou left , but feel we are still just as good , and on of the best strength programs in collage because of coach Wellman.

Something I found curious about Rhea, he was always called Dr. Rhea. Was that the way he referred to himself or did IU start that appellation? Wellman also has a PhD but I haven't heard anyone call him doctor.

As Brockettman pointed out, Wellman was at the top of his field and he added a speed coach who is the equal of Rhea. We didn't lose a thing, IMHO.

Something I found curious about Rhea, he was always called Dr. Rhea. Was that the way he referred to himself or did IU start that appellation? Wellman also has a PhD but I haven't heard anyone call him doctor.

As Brockettman pointed out, Wellman was at the top of his field and he added a speed coach who is the equal of Rhea. We didn't lose a thing, IMHO.

Well, let's start referring to Coach Wellman occasionally as Dr. Wellman too...;)

I'd imagine Rhea's use of the title was more than a little bit aimed as self promotion and as a recruiting tool for IMG... Seems to have worked out well for him...

I think the hiring of "Dr" Wellman and the people he brought into the S&C program equal what we lost with Ballou and Rhea. I liked the results the previous staff did with improving the size and strength of IU players but believe coach Wellman and crew can do as well.

People around the IU football program surely picked up on exactly what Ballou and the good doctor were doing. Was it a secret experiment or something?

I would imagine there's quite the computer footprint left behind? That should be pretty telling about exactly what they were up to. Is it not possible to duplicate what the doctor was achieving?

I didn't go through 4 years of evil medical school to be called Mister!!

There was literally nothing that we could have done to keep those two here. Why people think the move was about money is beyond me.

Putting Alabama on their resume when they have a chance at a national championship year in and year out is something that we don't offer. It's not hard to understand at all.
But.... I didn't say it was hard to understand, I said it's hard to accept. Did you read my post? I said we should have done anything nece$$sary because..what else r u gonna' try to do? Ask nicely? I said "sour grapes" twice.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Again, it wasn't about money though, so why dread on something that CTA could literally do nothing about?

Sours grapes or not, putting money signs in your post makes it look like you think we should have thrown the bank at them when they were already paid more than most strength coaches in America. They didn't leave because they were underpaid.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Again, it wasn't about money though, so why dread on something that CTA could literally do nothing about?

Sours grapes or not, putting money signs in your post makes it look like you think we should have thrown the bank at them when they were already paid more than most strength coaches in America. They didn't leave because they were underpaid.
Why not address me directly, for 1 thing, & for another, I don't know how much more clear I can make it that my post wasn't about a rational belief that we could/should have realistically found a way to retain them, but a wish that we could, & a fear of the damage their departure is going to do to us.

& pissed, about the loss of Ballou & Rhea. I try to not to be bitter & all sour grapes, but we needed them so much more Alabama does. & to hear them say, "we were happy at Indiana, but Alabama made us an offer we couldn't refuse", that just makes my blood boil, I admit it! It does, I'm that stupid, foolish guy! I'm particularly fearful that a lot of higher tier recruits were considering us, mainly due to their ability to help them get to the NFL(I know it, actually), & although I've heard good things about Wellman, & it surely appears that we could have done a lot worse replacing those 2, it still leaves me feeling like...we as an athletic department, should have done whatever nece$$ary to keep Ballou & Rhea, that they were the game changers we've needed for decades(even though that's a realistic wish, just more sour grapes & whining). But....I can only control what I can control, & it's possible we'll continue onward & upward nonetheless. I sure hope so. Of course, I should be more concerned about whether or not we'll even get the chance to go onward & upward anytime soon, & SAFELY, for everyone.
Getting Wellman is a homerun hire in my view (actually Ballou tweeted those exact words). I'm not sure we could have found a better replacement. He's got his own nuisances, but his production/results every place he's been is comparable, and perhaps more evident with the naked eye than Ballou/Rhea. Not saying he will be better, because it truly is all about "fit", but in terms of carrying on the traditions of building a program from the strength and conditioning aspects, then there won't be much of a transitional bump. In fact, in the NFL, Wellman was used to working with guys remotely most of the time and only seeing them face to face for a few months a year, so this time period isn't something that is hindering him at all. He's able to design workouts for everyone based on what they have available, same as what he was doing in the NFL. I suspect that will put IU ahead of the curve in terms of what other coaches are used to working with. It's still up to the athletes to put the work in, but it's just not the nightmare that many strength and conditioning coaches are facing because he's been doing it this way for the past few years.

I truly understand why fans are frustrated with the whole situation. Ballou/Rhea had the money and the equipment to build something at IU that has never been done before, but what Alabama offered to them, that IU can't at this point, is tradition and the opportunity to win a National Championship in College. Make no mistake, Ballou and Rhea won't be college guys much longer. A NFL team will soon pick them up and they are gonna get a fat pay day and if they want to you, then can get published and become legends in their fields of work. NFL teams have already offered, but I can't blame anyone for going to work for the best, building their resume even more, and gaining more credibility for their future endeavors. That's what happened here. Hopefully in 25 years, IU will be able to snag the best of the best in just about every area, but for now, Alabama is that school.

All part of the medicine show.

Reactions: crossfire74
Getting Wellman is a homerun hire in my view (actually Ballou tweeted those exact words). I'm not sure we could have found a better replacement. He's got his own nuisances, but his production/results every place he's been is comparable, and perhaps more evident with the naked eye than Ballou/Rhea. Not saying he will be better, because it truly is all about "fit", but in terms of carrying on the traditions of building a program from the strength and conditioning aspects, then there won't be much of a transitional bump. In fact, in the NFL, Wellman was used to working with guys remotely most of the time and only seeing them face to face for a few months a year, so this time period isn't something that is hindering him at all. He's able to design workouts for everyone based on what they have available, same as what he was doing in the NFL. I suspect that will put IU ahead of the curve in terms of what other coaches are used to working with. It's still up to the athletes to put the work in, but it's just not the nightmare that many strength and conditioning coaches are facing because he's been doing it this way for the past few years.

I truly understand why fans are frustrated with the whole situation. Ballou/Rhea had the money and the equipment to build something at IU that has never been done before, but what Alabama offered to them, that IU can't at this point, is tradition and the opportunity to win a National Championship in College. Make no mistake, Ballou and Rhea won't be college guys much longer. A NFL team will soon pick them up and they are gonna get a fat pay day and if they want to you, then can get published and become legends in their fields of work. NFL teams have already offered, but I can't blame anyone for going to work for the best, building their resume even more, and gaining more credibility for their future endeavors. That's what happened here. Hopefully in 25 years, IU will be able to snag the best of the best in just about every area, but for now, Alabama is that school.
"He's got his own nuisances"

What are they?

"He's got his own nuisances"

What are they?
Both sets of coaches have the same goals, but how they reach those goals through individual programs/programming is always different. The one thing that I do know that Wellman focuses on is neuromuscular fatigue and how it plays into conditioning/muscle programming. Ballou/Rhea didn't mention that much in their talks/discussions that I've watched. Perhaps they did, but Wellman really seems to mention it much more often so you can tell that he includes that data into what he's trying to build. I also don't see Wellman getting jacked up about a kid running 22 mph or 23 mph. Does he want to build speed into kids? Absolutely, but his emphasis to do that is not placed on the individual mph as much.

For the most part, I see most of things he talks about as similar to what Ballou/Rhea discussed so I feel like their philosophies are similar. But just as computer programmers tend to vary from person to person, so do strength and conditioning coaches as they move to program each individual to reach their maximum potential.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Both sets of coaches have the same goals, but how they reach those goals through individual programs/programming is always different. The one thing that I do know that Wellman focuses on is neuromuscular fatigue and how it plays into conditioning/muscle programming. Ballou/Rhea didn't mention that much in their talks/discussions that I've watched. Perhaps they did, but Wellman really seems to mention it much more often so you can tell that he includes that data into what he's trying to build. I also don't see Wellman getting jacked up about a kid running 22 mph or 23 mph. Does he want to build speed into kids? Absolutely, but his emphasis to do that is not placed on the individual mph as much.

For the most part, I see most of things he talks about as similar to what Ballou/Rhea discussed so I feel like their philosophies are similar. But just as computer programmers tend to vary from person to person, so do strength and conditioning coaches as they move to program each individual to reach their maximum potential.
Oh, OK. You meant nuances. Yeah, I agree - same goals, but different methods, or at least seem to be.

"I'm particularly fearful that a lot of higher tier recruits were considering us . . . ."
I was there-- Rome wasn't built in a day. Coach Allen is building a program without limits, and elite recruits will eventually come here to play for him, because he has something that no other coach in America has to offer them, his own unique brand of LOVE!

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT