ADVERTISEMENT

Omaha World Herald IU Game Preview

TomEric4756

All-American
Sep 20, 2021

Why you may need Rolaids

1. The Huskers rank last in the Big Ten in rushing, passing and total defense, and have allowed a staggering 514 yards per game. Nebraska has specifically struggled against the pass the past two weeks, allowing a combined 677 yards in the air to Georgia Southern and Oklahoma.

Across the field, that’s been one of Indiana’s strengths this season. Quarterback Connor Bazelak is 108-for-202 and has racked up 1,171 yards and seven touchdowns through four games. And the Hoosiers are averaging 292.8 passing yards per game, which sits fifth in the conference and 28th in the country. The NU defense will especially have to contain Cam Camper, who already has 418 yards — the third-most in the Big Ten — and 33 receptions on the year.

And at least on paper, the disastrous start to Nebraska’s season continues to look uglier. Northwestern, which Nebraska lost to 31-28 in Ireland, has gone on to lose three straight to Duke, Southern Illinois and Miami (Ohio). Georgia Southern turned around and lost to UAB. And Oklahoma just dropped a home game to former Nebraska quarterback Adrian Martinez and Kansas State on Saturday night. Not exactly a promising sign for this Saturday and beyond. And speaking of unpromising signs, Indiana leads the all-time series against NU, 10-8-3.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo...cle_1ea1249e-72fe-5885-87fe-eaa43c66183e.html

When asked about the characteristics of a good defense, new interim defensive coordinator Bill Busch said gap integrity and tackling, factors that Nebraska has struggled with.

These defensive skills are ones that the team will have to work on before facing Indiana, who has the second most plays per game with an average of 84.25 per game.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo...cle_089f8328-2b6a-5576-97b6-47934cb89f9d.html

Why you may need Rolaids

1. The Huskers rank last in the Big Ten in rushing, passing and total defense, and have allowed a staggering 514 yards per game. Nebraska has specifically struggled against the pass the past two weeks, allowing a combined 677 yards in the air to Georgia Southern and Oklahoma.

Across the field, that’s been one of Indiana’s strengths this season. Quarterback Connor Bazelak is 108-for-202 and has racked up 1,171 yards and seven touchdowns through four games. And the Hoosiers are averaging 292.8 passing yards per game, which sits fifth in the conference and 28th in the country. The NU defense will especially have to contain Cam Camper, who already has 418 yards — the third-most in the Big Ten — and 33 receptions on the year.

And at least on paper, the disastrous start to Nebraska’s season continues to look uglier. Northwestern, which Nebraska lost to 31-28 in Ireland, has gone on to lose three straight to Duke, Southern Illinois and Miami (Ohio). Georgia Southern turned around and lost to UAB. And Oklahoma just dropped a home game to former Nebraska quarterback Adrian Martinez and Kansas State on Saturday night. Not exactly a promising sign for this Saturday and beyond. And speaking of unpromising signs, Indiana leads the all-time series against NU, 10-8-3.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo...cle_1ea1249e-72fe-5885-87fe-eaa43c66183e.html

When asked about the characteristics of a good defense, new interim defensive coordinator Bill Busch said gap integrity and tackling, factors that Nebraska has struggled with.

These defensive skills are ones that the team will have to work on before facing Indiana, who has the second most plays per game with an average of 84.25 per game.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo...cle_089f8328-2b6a-5576-97b6-47934cb89f9d.html
Here's a few more game previews:

IU has a better overall football team.

I don't trust that they'll be able to put enough consistency together to prove that tomorrow night.

Hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Espn has Nebraska win prediction at 60%.
They cant think Nebraska is good so it must be they feel we are really bad.
Nebraska got rid of their DC and has had a full bye week to prepare for what has clearly become the key to the rest of their season... We're coming off the Cincinnati debacle where we were clearly worse rather than better in nearly every phase of the game (particularly in the secondary)..., which is Not what you want to see in your fourth game of the season... 😖

While I'm as pro-IU as you'll find, I can't really fault ESPN in their analysis this time...(and I don't care much for ESPN)...

I'm hoping this TEAM proves me and ESPN wrong against Nebraska... 🏈

Guess we can play the game and see what happens. Better to let the pundits keep on punditing under their bell jar and ignore the distraction.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Nebraska got rid of their DC and has had a full bye week to prepare for what has clearly become the key to the rest of their season... We're coming off the Cincinnati debacle where we were clearly worse rather than better in nearly every phase of the game (particularly in the secondary)..., which is Not what you want to see in your fourth game of the season... 😖

While I'm as pro-IU as you'll find, I can't really fault ESPN in their analysis this time...(and I don't care much for ESPN)...

I'm hoping this TEAM proves me and ESPN wrong against Nebraska... 🏈
IMO, WKU and Illinois are better than Nebraska. Just win.

Guess we can play the game and see what happens. Better to let the pundits keep on punditing under their bell jar and ignore the distraction.
Agree you have to play the game.
I do not want to over state the importance of this game. The players hopefully focus on one game at a time.
A win here gets us closer to 6 wins and more importantly a win here increases confidence for the rest of our games. Especially those multiple games against middle teams - MD, Rutgers, PU, and maybe even MSU.

And speaking of unpromising signs, Indiana leads the all-time series against NU, 10-8-3.

That's a stunner. I remember IM Hipp breaking Wilt Chamberlain's single game scoring record against Lee Corso's Hoosiers. Well, it seemed like that anyway. Can you even imagine how Husker fans feel about that stat?

And speaking of unpromising signs, Indiana leads the all-time series against NU, 10-8-3.

That's a stunner. I remember IM Hipp breaking Wilt Chamberlain's single game scoring record against Lee Corso's Hoosiers. Well, it seemed like that anyway. Can you even imagine how Husker fans feel about that stat?
I’m too young to remember that game but do remember seeing the stat records in IU‘s game programs in the late 1980s-90s. That Neb game stats are amazing but not overly surprising knowing the status of the respective programs at that time- opposite sides of college football spectrum.

Nebraska will correct its deficiencies and take out all its frustrations on the Hoosiers in Lincoln this evening, and beat them like a red headed stepchild to the roars of the Husker faithful. And y’all know it.

Nebraska will correct its deficiencies and take out all its frustrations on the Hoosiers in Lincoln this evening, and beat them like a red headed stepchild to the roars of the Husker faithful. And y’all know it.
What are you going to say when we win? You are a fan, but I have no idea for whom.

NU has won 4 of its last 16 games. Those four wins were against Fordham, Buffalo,North Dakota, and Northwestern. They are really bad and still favored to win. Says a lot.

Agree you have to play the game.
I do not want to over state the importance of this game. The players hopefully focus on one game at a time.
A win here gets us closer to 6 wins and more importantly a win here increases confidence for the rest of our games. Especially those multiple games against middle teams - MD, Rutgers, PU, and maybe even MSU.
Well the margin for error has definitely evaporated. Thought at the start of the season Maryland, Rutgers and Purdue were toss ups with a lean towards a "W" for IU. Now I'm not so sure. MSU could be a W pick-up but it is looking like 6-6 is the ceiling 4-8 the floor.

Ah yes, I'm old enough to remember, the golden year 1978. I think IM Hipp had 3 TDs in the first quarter. The first two came within minutes of each other if I remember correctly. Didn't Lee promise to bring a Rose Bowl team to Bloomington and the next year USC was on the schedule? I digress, that could just be an urban legend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT