ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics thread

Please explain why you think that I am saying that you are responsible for AAs killing each other in cities run by (supposedly) one party? (though I am an independent).

Please explain why you think that I am "shouting racist" at anyone that disagrees about something.

Please explain why you think that I support anyone wanting to "burn the f’n country down".

What I am for is for nudging our county toward a higher level of greatness, where racism in any form is not acceptable. That makes me a demon, huh?
You’re an independent. Hahahahahaha. I’m pretty sure you don’t know what these words mean: progressive liberal conservative independent

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57 and 76-1
You’re an independent. Hahahahahaha
Technically I am now (since mid-2020) registered as a Democrat, since Florida law does not allow registered independents to vote in any primary, and I wanted to vote for Pete.

registered as Republican in Indiana 1980-1991
registered as Republican in Ohio 1991-1995
registered as an Independent in Massachusetts 1995-2005
registered as an Independent in Florida 2005-2020
registered as an Democrat in Florida 2020-2021

I would be happy to be registered again as an Independent, once neither party has a cult-lke allegiance to any grifter.

A post from a IU Grad in 2015, MBA from University of Southern Indiana in 2017 and 2018 to present studying Supply Chain Management at Penn State World Campus getting his Masters. Gives me hope for our youth.

“I know some people don't enjoy watching the Olympics because they don't enjoy watching sports in general, but it's always a reminder to me and hopefully a reminder to all how great our country is. It's not just winning more medals than the other countries but look how diverse our teams are. Across all sports you have Blacks, Asians, Whites, and Latinos wearing the Stars & Stripes. Team USA has more women (329) than men (284) participating for the 3rd straight Olympics.

When you look at these other countries it is dominated by one race/ethnicity & I don't mean that in a bad way for every country. A lot of it has to do with geography. But also a lot of it has to with the equal opportunities that are or aren't given to athletes based on skin color and/or gender. The USA women's sports dominate because they've had these opportunities for decades now, where some countries were laggers in allowing women to do whatever they want (and some still restrict).

So the point is as you look at Team USA's diverse demographics you can't tell me that we're an oppressive nation. Undoubtedly, we are not perfect (as I've pointed this out in previous posts) and we continue to progress decade after decade but no one is oppressed. I couldn't be more proud as an American to watch these American athletes with different ethnic backgrounds stand up there and watch the American flag be raised as our National Anthem is played. To me, that represents our nation in a snapshot (especially when the medal is gold 🙂.

PS: Watching Caleb Dressel win the 100m freestyle last night and his reaction has to be the highlight of Team USA so far. Obviously he was proud of his personal accomplishment but the joy he had watching the American flag be raised can't be beat.”
My Olympic moment was seeing the kids from the tiny town in Alaska erupt when their 17 year old classmate unexpectedly won gold in the breaststroke.

My Olympic moment was seeing the kids from the tiny town in Alaska erupt when their 17 year old classmate unexpectedly won gold in the breaststroke.
The Filipina woman winning the weightlifting competition we pretty cool. Also, was not aware the Phillippines had never won a gold medal at the Olympics. Seems odd considering their immense population.

Reactions: outside shooter
The Fiji rugby team winning gold and the country of Fiji declaring a national day of celebration was pretty friggin' cool.

Reactions: larsIU
Please explain why you think that I am saying that you are responsible for AAs killing each other in cities run by (supposedly) one party? (though I am an independent).

Please explain why you think that I am "shouting racist" at anyone that disagrees about something.

Please explain why you think that I support anyone wanting to "burn the f’n country down".

What I am for is for nudging our county toward a higher level of greatness, where racism in any form is not acceptable. That makes me a demon, huh?
No, it makes you a whiny bitch malcontent…

Reactions: DANC and sluggo69
I know I'm just an old perv, but that little Jade Carey is a knockout.

56d10346-13fc-4a4b-84c8-51c40c59c98e-Jade_Carey_July_25_qualifying_.jpg

Technically I am now (since mid-2020) registered as a Democrat, since Florida law does not allow registered independents to vote in any primary, and I wanted to vote for Pete.

I would be happy to be registered again as an Independent, once neither party has a cult-lke allegiance to any grifter.
You're going downhill. Unfortunate.

I see where you applied for the Special Olympics!

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

From an age old enough to care to 1993 - Democrat. Voted for Carter in 1980. Voted for Reagan in 1984, but also mostly voted Democrat in other races. Original Reagan Democrat. The Democrats’ response after the Iraq invasion of Kuwait and the election of President Clinton really soured me on the Democratic Party.

1993-2017 - Republican. My reaction to Clinton was much like my reaction to Trump. Could not stand either, though if it was a choice between Trump and Clinton I'd have to take Clinton though I wouldn't be satisfied with the choice by any means. Voted Biden for President in 2020, and no, I’m not happy with a good deal of what he’s doing. Not a Trumper at all. He needs to be flushed out of the party completely.

Since 2017 - traditional moderate to center-right Republican not happy with overall direction of either party. I’ll vote for sane responsible problem solving candidates whatever their party.

Last edited:
We need an Olympics thread. I'll oblige.

Random thoughts from my brief amount of watching.

Skateboarding? Really? An Olympic sport? Skateboarding?

3 on 3 basketball is interesting, but otherwise, see above.

I can't believe the "uniforms" the beach volleyball girls are required to wear. Don't get me wrong, I'm still the same pig I always have been, but it's 2021, fer cryin' out loud. That said, the USA's "A-Team" are babes.

Question about IU-related Olympians....IU website says they've accounted for 2G,4S, and 2B so far.

I see a silver & bronze for King, golds for Apple & Peroni in the 400M FS relays, silvers for Hixon & Capobianso. That leaves 1 silver & 1 bronze---anybody know who got them? I wonder if they're counting coaches?

Also, anybody know if any Purdue-related medals?

Question about IU-related Olympians....IU website says they've accounted for 2G,4S, and 2B so far.

I see a silver & bronze for King, golds for Apple & Peroni in the 400M FS relays, silvers for Hixon & Capobianso. That leaves 1 silver & 1 bronze---anybody know who got them? I wonder if they're counting coaches?

Also, anybody know if any Purdue-related medals?
Not an Olympic sport...
20130905081023cow.jpg

Enhh . . . I'm pretty much done with the Olympics simply because I'm too over the hill to project myself doing any of those sports any more . . .

. . . and because "esports" will be joining the Olympics games in 2024: https://steamuniverse.com/articles/2019/07/30/esports-joining-olympics-in-2024.aspx.

There's nothing about esports that I find remotely redeeming, much less inspiring, enough to be an Olympic event.

Now, get off my lawn . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Enhh . . . I'm pretty much done with the Olympics simply because I'm too over the hill to project myself doing any of those sports any more . . .

. . . and because "esports" will be joining the Olympics games in 2024: https://steamuniverse.com/articles/2019/07/30/esports-joining-olympics-in-2024.aspx.

There's nothing about esports that I find remotely redeeming, much less inspiring enough to be an Olympic event.

Now, get off my lawn . . . .

TV eventually ruins everything it touches. I say 'eventually' because there are often significant short-term benefits, but 'the thing' itself, whatever it is, is eventually ruined by TV's demands.

Reactions: Sope Creek
TV eventually ruins everything it touches. I say 'eventually' because there are often significant short-term benefits, but 'the thing' itself, whatever it is, is eventually ruined by TV's demands.
There's not a lot of long-term thinking in the US anymore . . . it's all short term benefits thinking. We're starting to pay for that . . . what with the wild fires out west and the like . . . .

maybe they are counting Annie Lazor, who has been living in Bloomington and training at IU, though hasn't been, to my knowledge, an IU student

maybe they are counting Annie Lazor, who has been living in Bloomington and training at IU, though hasn't been, to my knowledge, an IU student
Anybody count Lilly King's silver in the 200 breaststroke?

My bad . . . mush mentioned King's medals already.

There's not a lot of long-term thinking in the US anymore . . . it's all short term benefits thinking. We're starting to pay for that . . . what with the wild fires out west and the like . . . .

Quite right, and I think it ultimately derives from the short attention span that follows from our new tech.

I'll give an example. I remember when college football expansion first took off. There was a lot of discussion when adding teams about them being "100 year decisions". That is, is this school we're thinking about adding still going to be in the BT 100 years from now? Is it a 100 year fit? You don't hear those kind of questions this time around. And the same theme seems to apply to just about every part of life.

Quite right, and I think it ultimately derives from the short attention span that follows from our new tech.

I'll give an example. I remember when college football expansion first took off. There was a lot of discussion when adding teams about them being "100 year decisions". That is, is this school we're thinking about adding still going to be in the BT 100 years from now? Is it a 100 year fit? You don't hear those kind of questions this time around. And the same theme seems to apply to just about every part of life.
Might be tech . . .

. . . I've also heard a lot of criticism about short term thinking coming from business circles talking about the press in public corporations to focus entirely on quarterly earnings rather than developing and implementing long term strategies.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
Might be tech . . .

. . . I've also heard a lot of criticism about short term thinking coming from business circles talking about the press in public corporations to focus entirely on quarterly earnings rather than developing and implementing long term strategies.
Most sales teams at IBM, Oracle and the like are ridiculously transactional. Monthly focus from the top down to them. It used to be quarterly and before that it was year end focused. There is zero long term thinking, because it doesn't pay to think beyond the next few weeks.

Reactions: Sope Creek
The Chinese guy competing in men's trampoline, Dong Dong, got the silver. I thought he got screwed.

Curios why so many of the Olympic hosts have such strong British accents? It isnt a big deal but is NBC short on talent or what?
Travel restrictions. Gotta use the folks already in Japan most likely. Which are probably Sky broadcasters or some equivalent broadcaster NBC has a deal with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT