ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics thread

Is it? While she certainly has taken advantage financially of the opportunities she's earned, I don't put her in the "look at me" camp. She seems rather apolitical for the times (I'm sure she's backed some efforts) but she's not leading the charge. I give her credit for helping put Nasser away as well and helping to, somewhat, reform USA gynmastics.
i didn't take it as casting aspersions. i took it just that she's been on tour in advance of the olympics etc and received loads of pr and is certainly the face of these olympics. anyway i hope she regroups. i can't imagine what these athletes go through. to train four years only to be judged by what you do for a minute or less. it's incredible

Reactions: All4You
i didn't take it as casting aspersions. i took it just that she's been on tour in advance of the olympics etc and received loads of pr and is certainly the face of these olympics. anyway i hope she regroups. i can't imagine what these athletes go through. to train four years only to be judged by what you do for a minute or less. it's incredible
Fair enough if that's the idea. And Olympians have a shorter shelf life for promotion than most athletes.

Fair enough if that's the idea. And Olympians have a shorter shelf life for promotion than most athletes.
for sure. i was reading an article about women's softball and if it's cut that's really it for the sport. college world series and then nothin

In her words, she lost focus. How do you do that in the fvcking Olympics?

And this being a make-up year the athletes had to train for 5 years to get ready. Simone said she was ready a year ago, then the pandemic forces her to go another year with the mental and physical pressure. Had she been able to compete a year ago I think none of this would've happened.

I am sure that every participant feels enormous pressure.

I would think it would be less when you have been there many times before, when you are an actual adult, and when, even if you were to fail completely, almost everyone has already annoited you as the greatest of all time.

that said, I hope she pulls it together and finds it fun to compete once again, rather than being an all-consuming chore/responsibility

Everyone has a breaking point. Makes those that haven't reached it in a public competitive setting at that level even more remarkable.

Reactions: stollcpa
Ok. I have one small problem. Apparently her leotards are emblazoned with a "goat" logo?

60cccf613093db00197020bf

I mean, if you're going to call yourself that.....you gotta finish.

To be sure, she owes me nor anyone else ANYTHING. However, this does open yourself up to the criticism and maybe deservedly so.

Ok. I have one small problem. Apparently her leotards are emblazoned with a "goat" logo?

60cccf613093db00197020bf

I mean, if you're going to call yourself that.....you gotta finish.

To be sure, she owes me nor anyone else ANYTHING. However, this does open yourself up to the criticism and maybe deservedly so.
At this point. She is the GOAT, undisputed. but that's part of where I was coming from with my comment about he putting herself on the pedestal.

At this point. She is the GOAT, undisputed. but that's part of where I was coming from with my comment about he putting herself on the pedestal.
yeah, I can see that. And I agree, when you get moves named after you....you're the GOAT. But kind of a faceplant if you put it on your gear and then....well...whatever happened today.

I dunno. I'm sure this won't be popular but bailing on your teammates and then returning for your individual events isn't that great of a look, if you ask me. But then I'm an unfeeling asshole.
That's an understandable reaction. I think the flip side to that is Biles might have felt at the time that her continuing would put her teammates chance at a medal in jeopardy. Her alternate performed well, although obviously not as well as Biles would at her best.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Everyone has a breaking point. Makes those that haven't reached it in a public competitive setting at that level even more remarkable.

yeah, I can see that. And I agree, when you get moves named after you....you're the GOAT. But kind of a faceplant if you put it on your gear and then....well...whatever happened today.
you know how some days you know you're off and that you aren't going to get it back. your touch is off. maybe she just knew she was off and it was fing with her head a bit and she didn't want to go out there and F up and further torpedo her confidence. better to sit on the bench and regroup for the next round of events. get her head together and get back out there fresh

you know how some days you know you're off and that you aren't going to get it back. your touch is off. maybe she just knew she was off and it was fing with her head a bit and she didn't want to go out there and F up and further torpedo her confidence. better to sit on the bench and regroup for the next round of events. get her head together and get back out there fresh
yeah, i can see that. And def gymnastics is not something you want to mess up at., Only get one pass, might break you neck, etc.

yeah, i can see that. And def gymnastics is not something you want to mess up at., Only get one pass, might break you neck, etc.
i really can't imagine doing something that lasts just a minute. the mental part has to be incredible

Yeah, but I've never been in danger of breaking my neck.

has some quotes from her. interesting for someone that seasoned to now feel stress etc. i hope she pulls it together. would be a cool story to now see her bring home the gold

Mrs. Hooky watched the interview with silver around her neck and asked, "Why in the hell is she standing there, answering questions and taking attention away from the teammates she screwed out if a gold?"

I'm not going to argue with her.

Say what you will but

would Jordan walk out for a game 7 and say "I just don't feel it tonight, but you guys can do it"

would Brady walk out for a Super Bowl and say "I just don't feel it tonight, but you guys can do it"

Would Peyton walk out for a playoff game and say "I just don't feel it tonight, but you guys can do it". Oh wait, he would... ;).... maybe ....But GOATS don't, typically.

I hope she pulls it together, though. But the legacy has an unpleasant side story

Last edited:
Hard to tell, she has likely cost herself a lot of endorsement. I don't wish her ill not like it was a stance on things or anything just seems really strange.

Meanwhile Ledecky posted her worst Olympic time ever last night and came back an hour later and won Gold.

Meanwhile Ledecky posted her worst Olympic time ever last night and came back an hour later and won Gold.
On a non Biles note, it's amazing how young the athletes in swimming have gotten in the 5 years since the last games. Multiple 17 year olds and I think Canada (?) had a 14 year old in the pool.

Is anyone keeping track of the IU-athlete's medal count. I know three in synchronized diving and King with one?

A post from a IU Grad in 2015, MBA from University of Southern Indiana in 2017 and 2018 to present studying Supply Chain Management at Penn State World Campus getting his Masters. Gives me hope for our youth.

“I know some people don't enjoy watching the Olympics because they don't enjoy watching sports in general, but it's always a reminder to me and hopefully a reminder to all how great our country is. It's not just winning more medals than the other countries but look how diverse our teams are. Across all sports you have Blacks, Asians, Whites, and Latinos wearing the Stars & Stripes. Team USA has more women (329) than men (284) participating for the 3rd straight Olympics.

When you look at these other countries it is dominated by one race/ethnicity & I don't mean that in a bad way for every country. A lot of it has to do with geography. But also a lot of it has to with the equal opportunities that are or aren't given to athletes based on skin color and/or gender. The USA women's sports dominate because they've had these opportunities for decades now, where some countries were laggers in allowing women to do whatever they want (and some still restrict).

So the point is as you look at Team USA's diverse demographics you can't tell me that we're an oppressive nation. Undoubtedly, we are not perfect (as I've pointed this out in previous posts) and we continue to progress decade after decade but no one is oppressed. I couldn't be more proud as an American to watch these American athletes with different ethnic backgrounds stand up there and watch the American flag be raised as our National Anthem is played. To me, that represents our nation in a snapshot (especially when the medal is gold 🙂.

PS: Watching Caleb Dressel win the 100m freestyle last night and his reaction has to be the highlight of Team USA so far. Obviously he was proud of his personal accomplishment but the joy he had watching the American flag be raised can't be beat.”

To say that "no one is oppressed" because athletes are a diverse group is a bit superficial. I would suggest that our society's willingness to put athletes on a pedestal certainly helps people of color overcome the prejudices that undeniably exist and that would limit their opportunities, were they not stellar athletes.

We have decades of what is intended to be equality under the law. That has been a great thing and something to be proud of as a country. Go USA! But equality under the law doesn't necessarily mean absence of oppression and equality of opportunity.

Someone (Maya Angelou?) once that said that sometimes progress, while welcomed, falls far short of sufficiency. Limits are still there. As an example, say that black people can attend the school dance, where they cound not before. Then whites all declare that the problem is solved, without noting the policy that black people attending the school dance can indeed get inside the door, but are still forbidden from walking onto the dance floor. In that scenario, what was accomplished?

To say that "no one is oppressed" because athletes are a diverse group is a bit superficial. I would suggest that our society's willingness to put athletes on a pedestal certainly helps people of color overcome the prejudices that undeniably exist and that would limit their opportunities, were they not stellar athletes.

We have decades of what is intended to be equality under the law. That has been a great thing and something to be proud of as a country. Go USA! But equality under the law doesn't necessarily mean absence of oppression and equality of opportunity.

Someone (Maya Angelou?) once that said that sometimes progress, while welcomed, falls far short of sufficiency. Limits are still there. As an example, say that black people can attend the school dance, where they cound not before. Then whites all declare that the problem is solved, without noting the policy that black people attending the school dance can indeed get inside the door, but are still forbidden from walking onto the dance floor. In that scenario, what was accomplished?
I tell you what Shooter, keep shouting racist at anyone that disagrees and for god’s sake burn the f’n country down.

And please explain why I am responsible for AA killing each other in cities run by your party?

Reactions: Crayfish57
I tell you what Shooter, keep shouting racist at anyone that disagrees and for god’s sake burn the f’n country down.

And please explain why I am responsible for AA killing each other in cities run by your party?
Please explain why you think that I am saying that you are responsible for AAs killing each other in cities run by (supposedly) one party? (though I am an independent).

Please explain why you think that I am "shouting racist" at anyone that disagrees about something.

Please explain why you think that I support anyone wanting to "burn the f’n country down".

What I am for is for nudging our county toward a higher level of greatness, where racism in any form is not acceptable. That makes me a demon, huh?

Please explain why you think that I am saying that you are responsible for AAs killing each other in cities run by (supposedly) one party? (though I am an independent).

Please explain why you think that I am "shouting racist" at anyone that disagrees about something.

Please explain why you think that I support anyone wanting to "burn the f’n country down".

What I am for is for nudging our county toward a higher level of greatness, where racism in any form is not acceptable. That makes me a demon, huh?
Metamucil can be your friend

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT