ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics thread

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
We need an Olympics thread. I'll oblige.

Random thoughts from my brief amount of watching.

Skateboarding? Really? An Olympic sport? Skateboarding?

3 on 3 basketball is interesting, but otherwise, see above.

I can't believe the "uniforms" the beach volleyball girls are required to wear. Don't get me wrong, I'm still the same pig I always have been, but it's 2021, fer cryin' out loud. That said, the USA's "A-Team" are babes.

I can't believe the "uniforms" the beach volleyball girls are required to wear. Don't get me wrong, I'm still the same pig I always have been, but it's 2021, fer cryin' out loud. That said, the USA's "A-Team" are babes.

Wake me when they get to the track and field events. Everything else is just hoo-hah. Did the Greeks fvck around on skateboards?

How about the BB gun competition, I mean, air rifle?

Reactions: stollcpa and NPT
The men’s US basketball team got smoked by France! Just shows what happens when you have a WOKE Coach!
Probably has a female assistant coach!

Reactions: ulrey
The men’s US basketball team got smoked by France! Just shows what happens when you have a WOKE Coach!
Are they done or was this pool play?

Let me know after you check it out.
Looks like they have to beat Iran and Czech Republic and they make medal play.

Our guys get a gold medal as social justice warriors. It will be interesting to see if they get a gold medal for the reason they're in Japan.

Reactions: 76-1 and Lucy01

The beach volleyball women aren’t required to wear what they wear. I’m not going to criticize their choices.

Looks like they have to beat Iran and Czech Republic and they make medal play.

Our guys get a gold medal as social justice warriors. It will be interesting to see if they get a gold medal for the reason they're in Japan.
They're a 2nd/3rd rate NBA all star team. They won't beat the better national teams. We should have sent Baylor.

Hey Lucy - What's the opposite of WOKE?

They're a 2nd/3rd rate NBA all star team. They won't beat the better national teams. We should have sent Baylor.
France just beat them with less than a 2nd/3rd rate NBA All-Star Team.

The beach volleyball women aren’t required to wear what they wear. I’m not going to criticize their choices.
I thought I'd read where Sweden or Norway or something like that had been sanctioned for wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms. This was a couple weeks ago, so would have been in qualifying rounds or something.

Edit to add:

Okay, this was what I'd heard about:

Reactions: largemouth
Intelligent.
No medal for you. Wokeness doesn't track on an intelligence scale. Annoyance scale, perhaps.

Back to the Olympics, not sure I like the limit on athletes per country who reach the finals. Does that account for foreign athletes who trained at US universities? Seems arbitrary.

Badminton.. wtf

Give me winter games
I kinda get that but it is big in Asian countries as is ping pong. To me they should move some of those somewhat obscure indoor sports to the winter games and maybe more exposure? I admit curling grew on me watching late night winter games. That street skateboarding is ridiculous though. NBC loves pushing beach volleyball and while maybe very fun to play aside from all the skin I find it kind of boring, much rather watch the teams play. I see Baseball and Softball wont be at next Olympics, maybe not needed but compared to street skateboarding and basically having a course set up that if you did in public could get you arrested?

I thought I'd read where Sweden or Norway or something like that had been sanctioned for wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms. This was a couple weeks ago, so would have been in qualifying rounds or something.

Edit to add:

Okay, this was what I'd heard about:

Never heard of beach handball. Article I read last week said beach volleyball players wear the bikini bottoms because they’re most practical for the game, or words to that effect, and it was their choice.

Never heard of beach handball. Article I read last week said beach volleyball players wear the bikini bottoms because they’re most practical for the game, or words to that effect, and it was their choice.
It should be their choice, cycling shorts seem a lot more practical. I notice there didnt appear to be any rules for street skateboarding . One guy looked like he was in white medical scrubs

Because France has an actual TEAM. We don't.
The US hasn’t taken Olympic basketball serious since the 90’s. Everyone knows if we sent our all-stars or the nba champs over it wouldn’t be close. Frankly, Olympic basketball became less interesting once we stopped sending the top college players. The last meaningful and satisfying Olympic basketball team was when Knight coached the ‘84 team.

Swimming is also legit.
There will always be some sports on outliers but swimming is definetly legit. Water polo might look a little odd but imagine what it takes to play that? They aren't out there touching bottom and not being very aquatic myself could only imagine how much chlorinated water I'd end up ingesting .

The US hasn’t taken Olympic basketball serious since the 90’s. Everyone knows if we sent our all-stars or the nba champs over it wouldn’t be close. Frankly, Olympic basketball became less interesting once we stopped sending the top college players. The last meaningful and satisfying Olympic basketball team was when Knight coached the ‘84 team.
First Dream Team did have some merits as well, those guys took it seriously . Maybe not Bob Knight 84 level but seriously. I think the downfall was 88 and I never cared for Thompson, he was a bully in a different way than Knight and too stubborn to coach to what he had vs his way of playing which I always found dirty.

Cycling also. Although it's not my thing, you have to respect people who can go 150 miles, 1/2 seriously uphill.
Sports that require actual training! vs trying to slide a skateboard down handrails or steps harrassing the people using them as your training ?

Cycling also. Although it's not my thing, you have to respect people who can go 150 miles, 1/2 seriously uphill.
I like the indoor cycling on velodrome , wouldnt watch like a baseball game regularly but its cool. It was a huge sport in the early 1900's

First Dream Team did have some merits as well, those guys took it seriously . Maybe not Bob Knight 84 level but seriously. I think the downfall was 88 and I never cared for Thompson, he was a bully in a different way than Knight and too stubborn to coach to what he had vs his way of playing which I always found dirty.
Jalen Rose wants to talk about Kevin Love being the token white player being selected to this year's team. (Obviously, he's not playing).
John Thompson started that trend 30+ years ago with that '88 team.

Dan Majerle, if you're wondering....

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT