ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss is dangerous

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
They’re dangerous for more reasons than the obvious too. I think whoever was pulling the strings on this, if they wanted to screw IU, is in a no lose situation.

Ole Miss is likely better than the 2 opponents we would have faced in the bowls that screwed us, Oregon and Auburn. Or at least as dangerous. They played with Bama until the end of the game. And they nearly beat LSU, who had just beaten Florida. Their offense is one of the best in the country.

So they send the upstart Hoosiers, who they don’t believe in and don’t really want to be good...to the lowest possible bowl they could get away with. And pit them against arguably the best team we could have played. If IU wins...so what, they were 5-5, should have beaten them. If we lose though...see! See! IU doesn’t belong in the NY6 conversation. What was all the gnashing and fuss about?!

Bowl games are usually not all that consequential. I think this one is VERY consequential for IU. And whether or not we get a seat at the table heading into next year.

They’re dangerous for more reasons than the obvious too. I think whoever was pulling the strings on this, if they wanted to screw IU, is in a no lose situation.

Ole Miss is likely better than the 2 opponents we would have faced in the bowls that screwed us, Oregon and Auburn. Or at least as dangerous. They played with Bama until the end of the game. And they nearly beat LSU, who had just beaten Florida. Their offense is one of the best in the country.

So they send the upstart Hoosiers, who they don’t believe in and don’t really want to be good...to the lowest possible bowl they could get away with. And pit them against arguably the best team we could have played. If IU wins...so what, they were 5-5, should have beaten them. If we lose though...see! See! IU doesn’t belong in the NY6 conversation. What was all the gnashing and fuss about?!

Bowl games are usually not all that consequential. I think this one is VERY consequential for IU. And whether or not we get a seat at the table heading into next year.
i'm not the least bit worried about ole miss or lane kiffen. he's probably working on his next gig already.

Last edited:
Reactions: midwolfe and YOTHN

Listen, we should always take any opponent seriously. Penn State had the same record as Ole Miss and took us to the wire so yes, we shouldn't fall asleep on them.

With that said.....they are missing a LOT of players. Their program is definitely based on Lane Kiffins high powered offensive system in much of the same way as we were under Kevin Wilson. But we would've beat most of those teams Ole Miss played (Bama obviously being an outlier). To that, it was earlier in the season and Bama tightened up their defense a TON after that.

The point here being is although they do have a decent offense, their defense is absolute trash. IU is going to score at will and with Ole Miss(ing) all of their top players on offense (TE, WR, RB)......I don't see them being able to keep up when Indiana has the best passing defense in the country. Tennessee learned this last year and I truly believe Indiana walks away in this game.

Ole Miss is dangerous on offense but lose two top receivers as they step out to work on their NFL shot so maybe not so dangerous. IU's defense has shown they can make any QB throw INTs and Ole Miss has a QB that does that on a regular basis. Ole Miss defense has been terrible all season.

Ole Miss is dangerous on offense but lose two top receivers as they step out to work on their NFL shot so maybe not so dangerous. IU's defense has shown they can make any QB throw INTs and Ole Miss has a QB that does that on a regular basis. Ole Miss defense has been terrible all season.

you still have time to take it back.

Yes, the two top receivers had 1800/3200 total passing yards.

My main concern would be who we might be without. Hope we're good to go without losing any key players.

I think you're a little paranoid here............I don't doubt the screw job but I doubt it's that complex.

You're right... This is the ultimate Trap game, in more ways than one...

Just win and Win big and the jokes on those who'd hope to destroy us...

I don't like this game. It's high risk/low reward.

Cannot lose.
Bowl games are simply exhibitions that allow conferences to rake in money. The ONLY games that matter are the final 4 games in terms of win/loss. IU will get millions for simply showing up to play, same as any other school. While the players play for pride, the ultimate win is longer practice times and showcasing recruiting. While I know we were screwed, not playing in the Fiesta Bowl in front of no fans might have actually been a small blessing because we are very well cemented in the Tampa area in terms of recruiting, and the game is allowing fans. Several recruits will have the opportunity to have their loved ones in the stands as well as the opportunity for some local recruits. For me, the bowl game presents the exact opposite of what you say. It's low risk/HIGH reward with the high reward being a recruiting bonanza for the 2022 and 2023 classes and the kids get to have family in the stands. I want to win the game and stick it in Barta's ear, but I think there's blessings in disguise here vs being shuffled out to AZ in front of no one.

Certainly just my opinions here, and certainly Allen and IU would have used the Fiesta Bowl on the recruiting trail as much as they could. But I don't see the high risk at all. Two January bowl games in back to back years, A top 10 rating, is this really IU football? Don't miss the forest for the trees.

Bowl games are simply exhibitions that allow conferences to rake in money. The ONLY games that matter are the final 4 games in terms of win/loss. IU will get millions for simply showing up to play, same as any other school. While the players play for pride, the ultimate win is longer practice times and showcasing recruiting. While I know we were screwed, not playing in the Fiesta Bowl in front of no fans might have actually been a small blessing because we are very well cemented in the Tampa area in terms of recruiting, and the game is allowing fans. Several recruits will have the opportunity to have their loved ones in the stands as well as the opportunity for some local recruits. For me, the bowl game presents the exact opposite of what you say. It's low risk/HIGH reward with the high reward being a recruiting bonanza for the 2022 and 2023 classes and the kids get to have family in the stands. I want to win the game and stick it in Barta's ear, but I think there's blessings in disguise here vs being shuffled out to AZ in front of no one.

Certainly just my opinions here, and certainly Allen and IU would have used the Fiesta Bowl on the recruiting trail as much as they could. But I don't see the high risk at all. Two January bowl games in back to back years, A top 10 rating, is this really IU football? Don't miss the forest for the trees.
This is exactly correct. I would add that the powers that be knew exactly what they were doing. This was set up for IU success. That was the aim.

Completely disagree. First, I'm not saying it's high risk/low reward because of the bowl (Outback) itself. I'm saying that because of who we're playing in this game. Ole Miss has a losing record. If we beat them, it's "ho-hum" for the casual fan. If we lose, it's "same old IU."

And, despite your characterization of bowl games as exhibitions, they are played on a big stage with large TV audiences that include recruits and their families. I think the outcome of these games definitely matters, particularly for a team that hasn't won a bowl game since 1991. Do you think there's any chance the announcers won't mention - - at least once - - that we haven't won a bowl game in 30 years and/or that we've lost five bowl games in a row? Me neither. That losing streak is a monkey on our backs that we need to get rid of.

Finally, I'm assuming you weren't at the Gator Bowl last season. If someone had told me at the end of that game that the loss was no big deal as it was a mere exhibition game, I probably would've told them to shove it up their ass. I'm still not fully over that devastating loss, and I don't want to experience another one when I'm sitting in Raymond James Stadium a week from Saturday.

I agree. Kiffin is dangerous. We need to focus, train, quite complaining, and listen to CTA.

Completely disagree. First, I'm not saying it's high risk/low reward because of the bowl (Outback) itself. I'm saying that because of who we're playing in this game. Ole Miss has a losing record. If we beat them, it's "ho-hum" for the casual fan. If we lose, it's "same old IU."

And, despite your characterization of bowl games as exhibitions, they are played on a big stage with large TV audiences that include recruits and their families. I think the outcome of these games definitely matters, particularly for a team that hasn't won a bowl game since 1991. Do you think there's any chance the announcers won't mention - - at least once - - that we haven't won a bowl game in 30 years and/or that we've lost five bowl games in a row? Me neither. That losing streak is a monkey on our backs that we need to get rid of.

Finally, I'm assuming you weren't at the Gator Bowl last season. If someone had told me at the end of that game that the loss was no big deal as it was a mere exhibition game, I probably would've told them to shove it up their ass. I'm still not fully over that devastating loss, and I don't want to experience another one when I'm sitting in Raymond James Stadium a week from Saturday.

We also drop out of the final AP top 10...probably to 12-13....while we could end up 5-6 if we kick ass. Fitst top 10 finish since '67 would be big.

WOW spot on I'm agreeing with you. You can say exhibition all you want. If thats all it was the SEC would have a losing record every year during bowl season, BUT they don't. Too much pride is at stake. Its kinda like the BIG/ACC challenge it means something. I've seen alot of teams in IU's shoes throughout the years that don't show up because they got a much lower opponent and pouted. Allen will have these guys amped thats just the kind of coach he is.

I have checked conference records after bowl games for the past 30 plus years. I understand the latest trend of players opting out if its not a big game that means something, but everyone always looks back to OOC and bowl game records against to measure strength of conference. You don't think Oklahoma is STILL stinging after losing to Boise years ago, hell everyone remembers that?

I will preface this by saying that I have only seen highlights of Ole' Miss and have not watched a Whole Game of Their's. But here are the things that struck me on first look.
1. Their Defense gives up an Average of Over 200 Yards per game. This bodes well for us. This isn't a Big Ten Stop The Run Defense.

2. Their QB Corral has thrown 14 interceptions in their limited schedule and also has some fumbles on his resume. He looks like a Turnover ready to happen, which should be really good for our Defense,

It wouldn't suprise me if that Gator Bowl loss last year didnt cost us with the committee this year. It's not something that they look at officially but it was just IU getting close and blowing it again.

Great post! CTA mentioned kids HS coaches are coming to game too. Big deal to get coaches invited to game. Go Hoosiers!

Oh come on. Look where we are rated, they respect us.

i'm not the least bit worried about ole miss or lane kiffen. he's probably working on his next gig already.
Their backs and QB are smaller but super fast & gritty.. The QB can run & is a play maker. Watched the tape on LSU and Ole Miss. If you pressure him, he throws picks. But if you don't stay in your lanes, he could run all over us. Looking at their box scores, the Arkansas game is how I hope that this plays out for us. They held them down for a half & scored like 33. Arkansas won like 33-20.

What I think might be more dangerous than Mississippi on the field is that Lane Kiffin let everyone go home for Christmas. Tom Allen is keeping the entire team in the bubble. I don't think Lane Kiffen wants to play the game.

Reactions: vesuvius13
What I think might be more dangerous than Mississippi on the field is that Lane Kiffin let everyone go home for Christmas. Tom Allen is keeping the entire team in the bubble. I don't think Lane Kiffen wants to play the game.
I am sure he wants to play. At 4-5 he still got a bowl game and if he loses - no harm. If he wins - hero.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT