ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, looking to smoke my first brisket on the BGE.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
I'm hosting a family this Saturday night and thought it's time to try smoking a brisket. Been watching a couple youtube videos. Still wondering though in order to serve for Saturday night, should I stick with about an 8lb brisket so I can start in morning and have it done by dinnertime or is there benefit in looking for a larger 10-15lb brisket and then I guess I'd have to start it the night before. Now that I'm writing this, since this is my first I probably should opt for the smaller so I can tend to the fire throughout the day.

I've yet to cook with anything but my lump charcoal, so I'm looking forward to finding some nice oak wood and mixing it 50/50 with the lump. I'm planning to make it using the Franklin method. Seems pretty straight forward with a very basic rub.

Feel free to toss me a few pointers, beers to try or new tunes to check out.

If you're in Texas I believe you're required by state law to use Oak.

I've mixed and matched a little of everything but this is how things normally shake out.
Beef - Oak or Hickory.
Pork - Mesquite, Pecan, Maple
Chicken - Apple, Cherry, Pear (I cut down a tree)

But the only rule is the following: Protein + Smoke + Time = Good

I would think if you get a good, early start a 10-15 lb brisket would be done by dinner. By early, I'm talking about 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. I usually maintain the temperature around 250 degrees. I personally think anything under 300 is ok.

Don't freak out during the "stall." That's the period when the internal temperature seems to stick at around 160 degrees. What's happening is the internal, connective tissues are dissolving. You gotz to have a decent temperature probe so you can keep a handle on your progress.

Good luck!

McHoop

I would think if you get a good, early start a 10-15 lb brisket would be done by dinner. By early, I'm talking about 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. I usually maintain the temperature around 250 degrees. I personally think anything under 300 is ok.

Don't freak out during the "stall." That's the period when the internal temperature seems to stick at around 160 degrees. What's happening is the internal, connective tissues are dissolving. You gotz to have a decent temperature probe so you can keep a handle on your progress.

Good luck!

McHoop

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin...!"

Reactions: HoosiersChamps

Good luck!

McHoop
Probably looking for closer to 10lb then as I think they said 1hr per lb. I love my digital thermometer. Its changed everything about how I grill. Would recommend everyone have one. Gotta get the dual so you can manage the grill temp.

ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer with Dual Probe for Smoker Grill BBQ Thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GE77QT0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XLHRBb2JXVY6E

Last edited:
I assume an hour and 15 min per pound at 225. All you'll really need are 2-3 fist sized chunks of oak to start and add a few more around hours #3 & 6. Although if you're using the deflector stone, that won't work.

If you're done early, you can always wrap it in foil, then towels and put it in a cooler. It'll stay hot for hours like that and warm for the better part of a day.

You need to make some pit treats for the cook and anyone else to snack on during the day. Armadillo eggs, bacon wrapped jalapenos, smoked scallops, shrimp, etc... You could do all your sides on there too and make pit beans, mac n cheese, potato bombs, etc... the best part is you can prep it all the day/night before and put it on throughout the day of the cook while you drink beer and socialize. Nothing quite like have a party and feeding your friends off the smoker while hanging out all day and having a good time.

Reactions: Eppy99 and McHoop
If you're in Texas I believe you're required by state law to use Oak.

I've mixed and matched a little of everything but this is how things normally shake out.
Beef - Oak or Hickory.
Pork - Mesquite, Pecan, Maple
Chicken - Apple, Cherry, Pear (I cut down a tree)

But the only rule is the following: Protein + Smoke + Time = Good

Far south Texas so mesquite is the easiest to come by.

Hitting the sack early so I can throw the brisket on in time. Going to cook with the Franklin method at 275 instead of 225 which I originally planned. Found my prime brisket today at Costco. Still need to trim it which seems to be a bit of art as well. Going with a simple rub of just kosher salt and pepper.

Grabbed some cans of Founders All Day IPA and I’m ready to go. Only thing I need to decide is tunes for the day. Nite my homies...

Morning lads!

I set my alarm for 5:45 and woke up at 5:15. Took the meat out and applied the rub. Franklin method wants it only on for 1 hour while meat comes to room temp.

I left my fire smoldering overnight so would only have to apply some new charcoal along with the oak.

About 6:30 my youngest daughter comes downstairs and reports she just puked. Great, I dont dare wake up my wife so I handle it myself. God is looking upon me this day though as she managed to get it all in the toilet. I put her back in bed and rush back down to my fire.

I throw the meat on and it becomes immediately apparent this brisket is larger than the place setter and I will have to curl it a bit. After a few minutes I’m noticing there’s fat dripping that’s not being caught by the drip pan and is stoking the fire a bit. I’m also noticing my thermometer is registering a bit high. Either it’s in the hottest spot or I need to take this meat off and calm the fire a bit. So I took the meat off a bit (mind you my oven temp was only registering about 175 (my goal is 275, but the meat is at 120 where the probe is inside).

Took the meat off and tried to find a new spot for the probe. Got my fire back to 260 and threw the meat back on. Let’s see what happens.

Forgot to mention I’ve got the ****ing Ryder cup on the background. Playing like shit again and sipping my first cup of French Press coffee.

Oven temp is 262 but meat probe keeps climbing and is at 137. Rookie here so I have no idea what the temp should be within the first hour of smoking. Hopefully I’m smoking and not cooking.

Forgot to mention I’ve got the ****ing Ryder cup on the background. Playing like shit again and sipping my first cup of French Press coffee.

Oven temp is 262 but meat probe keeps climbing and is at 137. Rookie here so I have no idea what the temp should be within the first hour of smoking. Hopefully I’m smoking and not cooking.

That seems pretty high this quickly(internal temp). Make sure you haven't put the probe in too deep and that it's not sticking out the other side or just under the surface..

McHoop

That seems pretty high this quickly(internal temp). Make sure you haven't put the probe in too deep and that it's not sticking out the other side or just under the surface..

McHoop
I reprobed awhile ago into the thickest part of the flat and it’s stabilized somewhat at 144 about 1.5 hours in.

Just in case I dropped the oven temp closer to 250.

Sounds like your pit thermometer isn't giving you an accurate temp. You're probably hotter than the reading. An hour and a half in on a 10lber shouldn't be that temp. How's it doing now?

Costco has really nice briskets. That's all I've been using this year.

Sounds like your pit thermometer isn't giving you an accurate temp. You're probably hotter than the reading. An hour and a half in on a 10lber shouldn't be that temp. How's it doing now?

Costco has really nice briskets. That's all I've been using this year.
Just came home from my other daughters soccer game. Oven temp dropped to 222 and meat is 154. We’re just about 6 hours in now. Guessing we’re in the stall now?

You might be. Do you leave the probe in or do you remove it? Seems weird that you went from 159 down to 154 over the course of a couple hours. Your current temp sounds about right to me for 6 hours in.

You might be. Do you leave the probe in or do you remove it? Seems weird that you went from 159 down to 154 over the course of a couple hours. Your current temp sounds about right to me for 6 hours in.
Yea, I found that weird too. So I pulled the meat off and the place setter to check on my wood. My oak was fully burnt off and the charcoal looked low so just added more of both and bringing it back up to 275.

Man there is so much to learn here the first time.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I hope it turns out. I would love to try something like this, but not sure I would be meticulous enough.
Try a 3-4lb chuck roast. It's a lot less time consuming and would be a cheaper mistake if you screw it up. Very similar to brisket in taste and texture. I do them all the time to make burnt ends.

Yea, I found that weird too. So I pulled the meat off and the place setter to check on my wood. My oak was fully burnt off and the charcoal looked low so just added more of both and bringing it back up to 275.

Man there is so much to learn here the first time.
So how did this brisket turn out? I keep looking for the outcome.

So how did this brisket turn out? I keep looking for the outcome.
Sorry, left ya hanging. It was a bit scary, I wrapped it in butcher paper but then I was kinda blindly putting the probe back in so my goal of cooking it to 203 became more of a guessing game. Based on cooking it 1 hour per pound i figures it should be done.

So what I don’t think I’ve tokd you guys is at that I don’t even eat red meat. I just like to cook for my family. Everyone says it was great (of course they did). I pressed them to give me constructive feedback. The biggest gripe was the amount of fat on the cap side. I didn’t want it to dry out and it didn’t so barely trimmed it at all. If I can get Costco to trim the prime brisket for me I’ll gladly pay the extra cost next time.

Just looking at the texture of the meat and the beautiful smoke ring I think it came out nicely.

Learned a lot and I know where to make some adjustments.

It's actually not weird at all. It's from evaporative cooling. The collagen is breaking down and the meat is literally sweating, which of course is a cooling mechanism. They did tests with cellulose sponges which did the same thing.

Brisket is the most difficult Big Meat to get right. Balancing the flat and the point temps is a challenge. Eppy did good taking it to 203. I usually shoot for 201, but 203 is fine and far better than the 185-190 some people go to. Or worse, the people who have no idea at all and pull it at 160, because "it's done."

Reactions: 76-1 and largemouth
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT