ADVERTISEMENT

Ok I'm over it (B1G Tourney)

mobilehoosier

Senior
Nov 17, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
I've been sulking around for a day and I'm over it. We sucked. Appeared to be satisfied as reg season champs. Didn't look like we cared. Etc.
Iowa and Minn were hungrier and more focused. I tip my hat.
I'm ready for NCAA. Don't care about seeding. Don't care where we go. Just want to see some good baseball from the Hoosiers!

You’re a better person than I am. Still sulking and annoyed by the lack of focus despite all the talk about “following the process” and “playing to our standard.”

That said, still looking forward to next week - and like you, I don’t really care where they go.

Question for the room: If you’re the manager, who do you start Game 1? FWIW, as much as I love Pauly Milto’s fight, think I’m going w/Saalfrank. Greater swing and miss potential, which will be needed against a good team.

Reactions: mk23
You’re a better person than I am. Still sulking and annoyed by the lack of focus despite all the talk about “following the process” and “playing to our standard.”

That said, still looking forward to next week - and like you, I don’t really care where they go.

Question for the room: If you’re the manager, who do you start Game 1? FWIW, as much as I love Pauly Milto’s fight, think I’m going w/Saalfrank. Greater swing and miss potential, which will be needed against a good team.

Probably depends who they play and the lineup.

We have shown most of the year we can't hit anyone's ace. Our Friday night efforts against good pitchers have been mostly bad. So Saalfrank might be a good choice but I predict paulie.

Reactions: 82IU and mk23
I guess I'm over it. Maybe. The reason I am still hoping for a closer regional, I'm ready for a roady. That said, there's really nothing that sucks more than getting beat bad 2 in a row and having to drive home.

We have shown most of the year we can't hit anyone's ace. Our Friday night efforts against good pitchers have been mostly bad. So Saalfrank might be a good choice but I predict paulie.
FWIW, I checked our record against Friday starters solely against our conference schedule, and we finished 4-4. I believe against Iowa, we saw their best pitcher on Sunday, and since we swept that series, we did okay against him with Saalfrank on the mound. That said, we have definitely struggled against the Friday starters for the most part. Milto has usually pitched pretty well, but we have just had difficulty getting anything going against the ace starter of other teams. It was kind of like feast or famine as far as reaching the fence, which has dramatically affected our success. Needless to say, other teams know that we have trouble hitting their best pitchers and that is what you are going to see in a tournament. Duh, that is my keen sense of the obvious, and that is what to expect. I not saying anything that we don't already know. Whether we are a #2 or a #3 seed in the NCAAs won't matter since those teams are matched up right out of the gate in whichever regional we are at, and we are going to see a pitcher that matches up well against our lineup.

I would like to see Coach M put our best bunters in the lead off and second spots and have them bunt right off the bat against the other teams ace. Put pressure on the other team at the very get go. Make the ace pitch from the stretch and see how uncomfortable we can make him. Just make contact and use the sacrifice or stolen base to get the guys in scoring position. Tell our big bats to go the opposite way and just make contact instead of swinging like a bunch of "drunken sailors". If we could get the early lead then hopefully we can get to the other teams bullpen. Just tired of watching us playing into the other teams hands by striking out 15 times a game. Choke up and make contact. We have enough good hitters and pitching to go far in the tournament if we play smart.

Reactions: 92grad46038jn
I would like to see Coach M put our best bunters in the lead off and second spots and have them bunt right off the bat against the other teams ace. Put pressure on the other team at the very get go. Make the ace pitch from the stretch and see how uncomfortable we can make him. Just make contact and use the sacrifice or stolen base to get the guys in scoring position. Tell our big bats to go the opposite way and just make contact instead of swinging like a bunch of "drunken sailors". If we could get the early lead then hopefully we can get to the other teams bullpen. Just tired of watching us playing into the other teams hands by striking out 15 times a game. Choke up and make contact. We have enough good hitters and pitching to go far in the tournament if we play smart.

Agree, and Coach probably would as well. But not sure we have any "best bunters" or "big bats" who have the skill to go the opposite way.

ADVERTISEMENT