ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Is Overrated - Final Four On Paper Only

Come On.. It's Ohio State.. They got 5 star kids on the 3rd team.. Give me a break.. They just are not that good.
Um, 5 stars or 3 stars, there is a reason why they are 3rd team. OSU was down 21 guys, and many key ones including Olave, I don’t care who you are that is difficult. I’m no OSU fan, but they will be fine when/if they get all those guys back.

Um, 5 stars or 3 stars, there is a reason why they are 3rd team. OSU was down 21 guys, and many key ones including Olave, I don’t care who you are that is difficult. I’m no OSU fan, but they will be fine when/if they get all those guys back.
Even at full strength. This team is a dog in the spread to Alabama, Clemson, or ND. I could see Alabama be at -13 to -15 favorite over the FULL OSU team. Trevor Lawrence will expose their pass defense like IU did..

Even at full strength. This team is a dog in the spread to Alabama, Clemson, or ND. I could see Alabama be at -13 to -15 favorite over the FULL OSU team. Trevor Lawrence will expose their pass defense like IU did..
Uh, if you want to give me 15 , I’ll take it, I don’t care who they are playing. I think Alabama is the best team, but to pretend OSU is not in the class of the FF4 teams is a mistake. (Full strength that is )

I'm not buying the argument that Ohio State shouldn't be in the College Football Playoff. I know the score was closer than expected today and they shot themselves in the foot several times. But if you watched more than just the scoreboard they were dominant, especially in the second half. To not give them credit for doing so while being significantly short-handed is silliness. Who are you going to put in ahead of Ohio State?

Ryan day sobbing about Ahia playing through "unbelievable adversity" all year.

LOL

You had weeks off to rest and stay healthy then the league got together and changed the rules that all had agreed on so that your team could play in a game they didn't otherwise qualify for.

You had ZERO adversity Ry Ry...you were very fortunate this season and you are going to get your ass handed to you in your next game.

And the world outside of Columbustuckey will love it.

LOL

You had weeks off to rest and stay healthy then the league got together and changed the rules that all had agreed on so that your team could play in a game they didn't otherwise qualify for.

You had ZERO adversity Ry Ry...you were very fortunate this season and you are going to get your ass handed to you in your next game.

I'm really starting to dislike him. Alot. He is turning into an arrogant prick. If he really wants sympathy for fOSU, then he lives in fantasy land.

LOL

Alabama or Clemson will have little problem with OSU. I think it will be much like Clemson and ND today.

I'm really starting to dislike him. Alot. He is turning into an arrogant prick. If he really wants sympathy for fOSU, then he lives in fantasy land.
And another thing. Not just fOSU, but all coaches and players need to just shut the hell up when they want to talk about how hard it has been to play their game. In the real world people have lost income, jobs, and loved ones. I really don't think they want to hear a sob story from an athlete or coach.

And another thing. Not just fOSU, but all coaches and players need to just shut the hell up when they want to talk about how hard it has been to play their game. In the real world people have lost income, jobs, and loved ones. I really don't think they want to hear a sob story from an athlete or coach.

Well, fortunately...only Ry Ry and the A-H-I-A nuts had a tough season.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Not gonna argue but wanted to say something along this line:

Didn't we hear from Rivals the reason that people would get bumped up when committing to an OSU type program was because of their player development compared to a program like IU?

If OSU has a top 10 class every year - I doubt they are 3 star on 3rd team but even if they are their player development should have them ready.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

Didn't we hear from Rivals the reason that people would get bumped up when committing to an OSU type program was because of their player development compared to a program like IU?

If OSU has a top 10 class every year - I doubt they are 3 star on 3rd team but even if they are their player development should have them ready.
Being ready is one thing, OSU did win today, but expecting 2nd and 3rd team guys to go out and be as sharp as the first team is completely unrealistic. As I said originally, there is a reason they are 3rd team, and as we know, and many have argued on here, stars from recruiting services often don’t pan out.

Uh, if you want to give me 15 , I’ll take it, I don’t care who they are playing. I think Alabama is the best team, but to pretend OSU is not in the class of the FF4 teams is a mistake. (Full strength that is )
Maybe a couple years ago but this team is a bunch of high-end players & an above average team. Maybe if OSU would have played a normal season, they would have developed as a team, but their back-end was only challenged once- IU. NU had zero passing game. I'm not saying that they don't have a bunch of NFL players on their roster. They just really have not played enough games to develop as a team. IMO. That is not the case for ND, Clemson, or Alabama; that is 3 stellar passing teams. But we will collect $6M & say thank you. If the B10 looks bad in the final four, it will be blamed on COVID.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Hypothetical . . . what if Michigan or PSU had a 6-1 record with a win against IU and a close loss to OSU. Where would either of those teams be ranked?

Part of me is thinking that the CFP and recruiting ranking industry are in cahoots . . .

. . . it's OK with me, I guess, although I'm a little rankled over playing in a bowl against a talented, but all-but-coachless Auburn team.

Prove enough on the field and the program's status and recruiting will take care of itself . . . .

Olave was a high 3*. A bad - as in inaccurate - rating no doubt . . . but isn't that the point? Olave didn't let it keep him from showing the talent he had.

The thing I like most about this staff is their ability to find talent where the rating agencies haven't. 😉

Last edited:
I'm not buying the argument that Ohio State shouldn't be in the College Football Playoff. I know the score was closer than expected today and they shot themselves in the foot several times. But if you watched more than just the scoreboard they were dominant, especially in the second half. To not give them credit for doing so while being significantly short-handed is silliness. Who are you going to put in ahead of Ohio State?

They did not play enough games is the biggest argument against them. Would you have been fine putting them in with 5 games? 4 games? Why do they even play the game? They were responsible for missing a game as well. So partly their own fault.

Olave was a high 3*. A bad - as in inaccurate rating, no doubt . . . but isn't that the point? Olave didn't let it keep him from showing the talent he had.

The thing I like most about this staff is their ability to find talent where the rating agencies haven't. 😉

??? He was their only starter that was below a 4 star level? You’re not helping your argument

??? He was their only starter that was below a 4 star level? You’re not helping your argument
Did I say that?

I have no idea what your point is . . . it doesn't follow logically from anything I said in my post.

My post simply was in response to TominDallas saying that OSU maybe had 3*s on their third team . . . he and I generally agree that development is key for IU to be competitive, and he was pointing out that development is why OSU gets preferred ranking status, perhaps implying that with CTA at IU then IU might ought to get a bit of a bump . . . or at least no drops . . . in ratings of IU recruits, like Jaquez Smith suffered this year.

I’m hearing that the CFP playoff committee is making a serious push to get Penn State in the NY6 due to their shellacking of Illinois yesterday and their feeling that a team must be worthy if they beat the fighting Lovies in his final game.

Reactions: IUFANBB

So they developed 1 player? Maybe you’re talking about IU but your entire post is about OSU??

So they developed 1 player? Maybe you’re talking about IU but your entire post is about OSU??
I was saying that OSU has a roster full of recruits rated generally higher than ours and Tom Allen has built depth by playing a lot of people so I did not feel sorry for OSU having to dig into that depth.

I felt it was bad coaching to not have the 3rd team on a roster full of Top 10 recruiting classes ready to play...JT had to go against UW in his first EVER start. Suck it up OSU.

Sope was pointing out that he agreed for the most part while pointing out Olave was a 3* when I stated OSU did not have many of them.

I like people as long as they agree with me :).

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
I was saying that OSU has a roster full of recruits rated generally higher than ours and Tom Allen has built depth by playing a lot of people so I did not feel sorry for OSU having to dig into that depth.

I felt it was bad coaching to not have the 3rd team on a roster full of Top 10 recruiting classes ready to play...JT had to go against UW in his first EVER start. Suck it up OSU.

Sope was pointing out that he agreed for the most part while pointing out Olave was a 3* when I stated OSU did not have many of them.

I like people as long as they agree with me :).
And I like Tuttle, but our offense was NOT the same with him versus Penix, and that is the point. I’m not in any way detracting from Tuttle, he stepped in admirably , and won the game. But even Sheridan said he called a more conservative game because the back up was starting. With scholarship limits of 85, it’s foolish to think ANY team will not have a drop off from 1st to 2nd to 3rd team, again there is a reason why a kid is 3rd team. Not to say that 3rd teamer won’t ever be any good, but in the case of the OL for instance, he may be a freshman who hasn’t developed physically yet, or doesn’t have the footwork, or doesn’t have a complete grasp of the playbook or protections. To just say, “they should have a 5 star “ on the 3rd team ready to go, is well, not reality.
OSU was missing 20+ guys, not 1, Fields clearly had a throwing hand issue, yet they found a way for Sermon to set a single game rushing record against a pretty stout rush defense. Their OL looked pretty damn good to me. I’m no OSU fan, but minimizing their personnel losses for this game is a mistake. At the end of the day , they won by double digits and had the ball on Northwestern’s 2 yard line to end the game, yes, it was sloppy, but they won going away. I may well be wrong, but if they have their roster healthy, and make the FF4, I think they will hold their own.

Reactions: Upset Alert
And I like Tuttle, but our offense was NOT the same with him versus Penix, and that is the point. I’m not in any way detracting from Tuttle, he stepped in admirably , and won the game. But even Sheridan said he called a more conservative game because the back up was starting. With scholarship limits of 85, it’s foolish to think ANY team will not have a drop off from 1st to 2nd to 3rd team, again there is a reason why a kid is 3rd team. Not to say that 3rd teamer won’t ever be any good, but in the case of the OL for instance, he may be a freshman who hasn’t developed physically yet, or doesn’t have the footwork, or doesn’t have a complete grasp of the playbook or protections. To just say, “they should have a 5 star “ on the 3rd team ready to go, is well, not reality.
OSU was missing 20+ guys, not 1, Fields clearly had a throwing hand issue, yet they found a way for Sermon to set a single game rushing record against a pretty stout rush defense. Their OL looked pretty damn good to me. I’m no OSU fan, but minimizing their personnel losses for this game is a mistake. At the end of the day , they won by double digits and had the ball on Northwestern’s 2 yard line to end the game, yes, it was sloppy, but they won going away. I may well be wrong, but if they have their roster healthy, and make the FF4, I think they will hold their own.
Totally agree on JT. He should have had more meaningful snaps before the UW game. That , IMO, is an issue I have with IU this year. Your #2 QB has to have more meaningful minutes ahead of a game like that.

I agree they will be better once their starting unit is out there.

My other point in how much the drop off should be for a team like OSU...we will have to leave for another day:).

Based on the results of games this year, I would agree that Alabama and Clemson are ahead of everyone else. So the argument that OSU will get blown out by those two teams is irrelevant. So was Notre Dame and A&M.

You did have an argument that OSU shouldn’t have been in the Big 10 Championship, but number of games isn’t the criteria for the playoffs. The criteria is whomever the Committee chooses. Based on that, OSU deserves a spot.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
ADVERTISEMENT