ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State at Indiana: August 31, 8 PM, ESPN...and Other Kick Times

This is an outstanding, prime-time opportunity for IU, with the eyes of the football world on Memorial Stadium. I expect a close, exciting game.

Reactions: RBB89
I left an 8 pm Oh St at IU game at 12:07 AM not all that long ago.
I will be selling my tickets for this one. My contract doesn't allow me to miss work the day before a holiday and with a 5 a.m. wakeup I just can't see getting in bed at 2 a.m. or later. I can watch on tv from the comfort of my bed and be rested and ready for the next day.

In the past I've made a commitment to only sell to fellow IU fans on the rare occasions I could not attend, but I plan to maximize the return on this game via stubhub or some other broker. I figure that IU is acting in it's best economic interests on this deal and so am I.

I'm not bitching, but a 4+ hour college football game starting at 8 p.m. with a two-hour exit and drive time on a work night just isn't doable for me. I'll be watching and rooting like crazy from home while hopefully making a nice return to offset some of my investment. I apologize well in advance to the good Hoosier fans in section 6 if my seats wind up in the hands of an obnoxious Bucknut. Feel free to bid against them. I won't discriminate against anyone who wants to thicken my wallet.

Reactions: MrBing and td75
oldcouger77...i don't blame you at all. hopefully an iu fan purchases the tickets, but don't blame you to get what you want.

however, is this really iu doing? doesn't big 10 set the schedule? we probably have to agree to it, but how much say does iu really have. every conference is doing this and have been for a while. i think i ready there are Thursday night, Friday night, sunday and Monday games in college football now. i don't like the overexposure. but a Thursday night has been pretty common for quite some time.

it does suck for out of town that cannot take off work, but there are definitely some major positives of opening college football season. I personally don't watch many non-iu games, but i always tune in for Thursday night game to open the season. lots of eyes will be on iu.

There is not much better than a 6 pm kick in Btown. The tailgate scene is phenomenal and the game finishes at a reasonable hour. Midnight is too late even for non-grad folks at home.

8:00 is prime time. It's for television. The start time is intended to maximize the TV audience and to garner ratings. It's the same reason why NFL night games (Sunday, Monday and Thursday) don't start before 8 o'clock. Nobody's watching earlier.

This is a very rare occasion when the spotlight is on Indiana University and the IU football program with a nationally televised game in prime time. ESPN will heavily promote this game in the days leading up to it. This is great exposure for IU as it continues to build its program, and I hope our performance leads to more marquee games like this. If you can't go, you can't go, but I'll gladly hang around for a quadruple overtime game that ends at 2 a.m. It's one night out of the year. I've got the weekend to sleep in. Go IU.

I'm debating on whether I want to drive up to Bloomington from Lake Barkley. Since we moved down here from Jeffersonville, I've wondered how we will handle going to football games.

We are definitely going to a game this fall, just not sure which game. I'm going to enjoy this season, it's the first defense we've had since I was a freshman in college...that was the autumn of 1993...

I'm debating on whether I want to drive up to Bloomington from Lake Barkley. Since we moved down here from Jeffersonville, I've wondered how we will handle going to football games.

We are definitely going to a game this fall, just not sure which game. I'm going to enjoy this season, it's the first defense we've had since I was a freshman in college...that was the autumn of 1993...
Lake Barkley? Are you familiar with Prizer Point Marina? It's owned by a huge IU fan. He usually comes up once the boating season tapers off.

Yes, it's a little south of me. I've heard there's good fishing around Prizer Point. It's probably about 15 miles from me.

There's not many IU folks here, it's Kentucky country...I stay out of their way when it comes to that...lol

The Virginia game is online only. That's controlled by the ACC. And ACC Network Extra = ESPN3/WATCH ESPN. No clue why they market it as something different. Just adds to the confusion.

In northern Indiana there are some South Bend stations that are part of the ACC network and pick up telecasts of games involving that conference. It was how I watched the IU game at Wake Forest a couple of years ago. If you are not in an area that picks up those telecasts then ESPN3 is the only option.

In northern Indiana there are some South Bend stations that are part of the ACC network and pick up telecasts of games involving that conference. It was how I watched the IU game at Wake Forest a couple of years ago. If you are not in an area that picks up those telecasts then ESPN3 is the only option.
Oh yeah they do that down here in the Louisville area too. But this game is exclusively online.

I will be selling my tickets for this one. My contract doesn't allow me to miss work the day before a holiday and with a 5 a.m. wakeup I just can't see getting in bed at 2 a.m. or later. I can watch on tv from the comfort of my bed and be rested and ready for the next day.

In the past I've made a commitment to only sell to fellow IU fans on the rare occasions I could not attend, but I plan to maximize the return on this game via stubhub or some other broker. I figure that IU is acting in it's best economic interests on this deal and so am I.

I'm not bitching, but a 4+ hour college football game starting at 8 p.m.....

I think that Coach Allen would tell you to just "stay in the dorm."

Reactions: YOTHN
IU - 28
OSU - 13
I had a premonition a day ago that IU would win by eight. tOSU is driving in the red zone at the end, but tOSU coaches get so caught up in trying to decide which play to run for the two-point conversion that they fail to get the TD.

little surprised no one has yet mentioned apparently no tv for IU-UVa.
Yes it's online only. This is why people should be very thankful for the Big Ten Network. The ACC controls the rights for that game. But if you get ESPN, you can watch it online for free.

little surprised no one has yet mentioned apparently no tv for IU-UVa.

You can stream the game online to your TV from your computer. That or just go get an Amazon Firestick and use the ESPN app. That's what I do and I never have to worry about the online vs TV battle as its always on my TV...

Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please

Well we're looking for that "hello" moment. Where better than on opening night (for all intents and purposes), at home, under the lights, vs the #2 team in the country with no other real games on for the nation to watch? IU usually gets a lot of national TV time throughout the season; however, there are typically 50 games going on so the nations attention is dispersed. This will truly be the only real game involving 2 quality teams so there will never be a better opportunity for IU to have its coming out party. With nothing but baseball on, it will lead off all sports highlights.

Let's not sell it as "just another game". It's not. It's our opportunity to go out and hit them in the mouth. Our season doesn't end with a loss by any means but the opportunity to get instant respect is available on that night in August. Go get it!

Well we're looking for that "hello" moment. Where better than on opening night (for all intents and purposes), at home, under the lights, vs the #2 team in the country with no other real games on for the nation to watch? IU usually gets a lot of national TV time throughout the season; however, there are typically 50 games going on so the nations attention is dispersed. This will truly be the only real game involving 2 quality teams so there will never be a better opportunity for IU to have its coming out party. With nothing but baseball on, it will lead off all sports highlights.

Let's not sell it as "just another game". It's not. It's our opportunity to go out and hit them in the mouth. Our season doesn't end with a loss by any means but the opportunity to get instant respect is available on that night in August. Go get it!
I agree. Coach has been openly promoting this as the biggest opener in the history of Indiana football.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
8:00 is prime time. It's for television. The start time is intended to maximize the TV audience and to garner ratings. It's the same reason why NFL night games (Sunday, Monday and Thursday) don't start before 8 o'clock. Nobody's watching earlier.

This is a very rare occasion when the spotlight is on Indiana University and the IU football program with a nationally televised game in prime time. ESPN will heavily promote this game in the days leading up to it. This is great exposure for IU as it continues to build its program, and I hope our performance leads to more marquee games like this. If you can't go, you can't go, but I'll gladly hang around for a quadruple overtime game that ends at 2 a.m. It's one night out of the year. I've got the weekend to sleep in. Go IU.
I hope the stands are full and they're not all OSU fans. The perfect outcome would be a sold out stadium of mostly IU fans and a victory on national TV. We can hope can't we?

Reactions: 76-1
I agree. Coach has been openly promoting this as the biggest opener in the history of Indiana football.

It will be and its not even an argument..

Trying to make it up from Texas for a Thursday night game is going to be one hell of a sticky situation.. But I'm going to make it happen.

If we knock them off.. my big ass is climbing the goal post.

It will be and its not even an argument..

Trying to make it up from Texas for a Thursday night game is going to be one hell of a sticky situation.. But I'm going to make it happen.

If we knock them off.. my big ass is climbing the goal post.
Are you kidding? Let us not forget the enormity of the opener of the Gerry DiNardo era, against William and Mary. An instant classic. VBG

Are you kidding? Let us not forget the enormity of the opener of the Gerry DiNardo era, against William and Mary. An instant classic. VBG

Or the Nicholls State game right after Hurricane Katrina..?? Maybe it wasn't even an opener... But I believe they had to end up wearing our practice jerseys during the game.. Maybe even equipment? That was one of the weirdest things I've ever witnessed.

Or the Nicholls State game right after Hurricane Katrina..?? Maybe it wasn't even an opener... But I believe they had to end up wearing our practice jerseys during the game.. Maybe even equipment? That was one of the weirdest things I've ever witnessed.
Yep. That was Coach Hep's first game. I remember we had to help them getting up here, and then they nearly beat us with the triple option. I think the attendance was like 29,000.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
You can stream the game online to your TV from your computer. That or just go get an Amazon Firestick and use the ESPN app. That's what I do and I never have to worry about the online vs TV battle as its always on my TV...

thanks, but i understand how to stream to my tv.

iirc, when we played at UVa a few yrs ago, it was also online only.

not near as good as tv though, and can't dvr.

UVa and IU should feel slighted that an interconference game between two big 5 schools doesn't rate tv coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: iueyedoc99

UVa and IU should feel slighted that an interconference game between two big 5 schools doesn't rate tv coverage.

In all fairness, that 3:30 pm time slot has Pitt vs. Penn State in the slot. That's a pretty big in-state rivalry.

If you can watch it on the watch ESPN app, you can go back and watch the game again later too.

I have felt everything you just wrote since this game was announced.
If not now, when?
If not us, who?

Reactions: YOTHN and RBB89

You can pause the live stream or go back. I don't notice any difference really.

Single game tix for Varsity Club donors now on sale.

Tix for the general public go on sale next Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT