ADVERTISEMENT

OG and Bryant

I expect both to test the NBA waters and decide from there based on what they hear. Believe Blackmon has already said that is what he is doing.
No way he gets feed back that he'll get drafted. Injuries cost him his NBA future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01
Did Bryant show he was ready for the NBA? Between Davis and Bryant, which one showed the most NBA potential?

OG is the only one that shows up in the first round. That could change if teams don't feel he is going to be ready to play. If he slips into the second round, why not just try to pick him up as an undrafted free agent? He will have other chances to go to the NBA. He can't come back to college if he stays in the draft and doesn't like where he is drafted. I would advise him to come back to school and rehab through the first half of the year.

Did Bryant show he was ready for the NBA? Between Davis and Bryant, which one showed the most NBA potential?

OG is the only one that shows up in the first round. That could change if teams don't feel he is going to be ready to play. If he slips into the second round, why not just try to pick him up as an undrafted free agent? He will have other chances to go to the NBA. He can't come back to college if he stays in the draft and doesn't like where he is drafted. I would advise him to come back to school and rehab through the first half of the year.
Bryant has way higher potential than Davis. Davis is 6'10 and plays like he is 6'6. Davis isn't the athlete bryant is

I take it they're both gone. Anyone in the know there?
No ... it just means nothing has been announced yet. They say that OG will not be able to workout for team but will be able to get feedback from them directly if he declares without an agent. Bryant's draft prediction has dropped and I think if CAM has him put 20lbs lost, back on in strength and muscle he will be much more of a force inside. Combined with Davis then he could still play a double post or outside when it's there.

Things are going to change with a new offense and defensive pressure.

I hope the players that have been talked about with the NBA draft all test the waters without signing an agent. I can see OG leaving based on draft projection but I have a feeling that Bryant and Blackmon will return for the chance to play under a different coach.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
I think OG goes and Bryant stays. OG is a first rounder in almost every draft, Bryant is a second rounder with no guaranteed contract. Bryant has a lot to gain by coming back.
I could see Bryant coming back but not OG it's too risky for him to.

Disagree 100%. Davis has better hands, moves. moves quicker and can keep his balance much better than Bryant. Also has more upside.
As a college player I agree but Davis isn't athletic enough for NBA potential. How many times instead of just hammering down a dunk he went for a layup and got it blocked. He just doesn't play above the rim at all and that wont work in the NBA. NBA potential Bryant is much higher.

As a college player I agree but Davis isn't athletic enough for NBA potential. How many times instead of just hammering down a dunk he went for a layup and got it blocked. He just doesn't play above the rim at all and that wont work in the NBA. NBA potential Bryant is much higher.
How about neither has a chance to be an NBA player. Bryant may get drafted but he'll spend his career on the D league or over seas.

Bryant won't leave. He's not a 1st Rounder, yet. He needs to come back and learn post play under Coach Miller. OG could improve his 1st NBA Contract also if he came back for at least 1 more year at IU. OG is the only sure NBA player on the IU roster, and that is solely based on his potential, athleticism, and defensive ability.

I'd bet that at least one will be back and won't be surprised if both return. Bryant's stock went down and OG is unlikely to be top half of first round. Hasn't shown enough yet and the injury makes him riskier. I'm guessing both can come back and greatly increase their chances at the NBA with some coaching from Archie.

Reactions: hoosierraven
I believe you are mistaken on this.
Ok...Can you explain how? Bryant has been listed as a first rounder for almost 2 years. He had a crappy year and fell off this past year. I think Davis will have a really good college career but I don't think he is athletic or explosive enough for the NBA

I'd bet that at least one will be back and won't be surprised if both return. Bryant's stock went down and OG is unlikely to be top half of first round. Hasn't shown enough yet and the injury makes him riskier. I'm guessing both can come back and greatly increase their chances at the NBA with some coaching from Archie.
If they all did come back then IU is loaded minus a quality pg. Hopefully someone steps up.

Ok...Can you explain how? Bryant has been listed as a first rounder for almost 2 years. He had a crappy year and fell off this past year. I think Davis will have a really good college career but I don't think he is athletic or explosive enough for the NBA
so are you making the case that Bryant is more "explosive"? Bryant and "explosive" do not belong in the same sentence. It's Bryant's lack of athleticism that will keep him from being a first rounder. He's cant get a shot off against a quality low post defender because he doesn't leave his feet to do so. I'm not trying bash Bryant, I am just shocked that someone would compliment him on his explosiveness.

Bryant has way higher potential than Davis. Davis is 6'10 and plays like he is 6'6. Davis isn't the athlete bryant is
Watch them run up the court. Davis runs like a guard. Bryant looks like an old man with stiff knees. He is still weak in the lower body. Crean bragged about how Bryant improved his vertical leap by 8". He must have started at 0".

Davis is a better athlete. He looked comfortable in the post. I look for him to improve with more time on the court. He needs to learn how to defend without fouling.

Watch them run up the court. Davis runs like a guard. Bryant looks like an old man with stiff knees. He is still weak in the lower body. Crean bragged about how Bryant improved his vertical leap by 8". He must have started at 0".

Davis is a better athlete. He looked comfortable in the post. I look for him to improve with more time on the court. He needs to learn how to defend without fouling.
I don't see that of Davis...I hope both are great at IU but Bryant will be the better pro prospect. I don't know how many times I screamed at Davis to dunk the damn basketball. I think people forget how good Bryant was as a freshman

Last edited:
Reactions: Gage Fu
I don't see that of Davis...I hope both are great at IU but Bryant will be the better pro prospect. I don't know how many times I screamed at Davis to dunk the damn basketball. I think people forget how good Bryant was as a freshman

Davis is definitely considered the better athlete. That's been the primary concern of NBA scouts regarding Bryant, that he's limited athletically.

Davis is better under the basket than Bryant is. He's going to be very good in college and he's got a decent shot at the NBA.

Davis is better under the basket than Bryant is. He's going to be very good in college and he's got a decent shot at the NBA.
Never said he wasn't...I'm saying Bryant has better pro potential. Davis plays below the rim at 6'10

Reactions: BB29
They both play below the rim. In terms of pro potential, it's too early to tell (at least for Davis).

Never said he wasn't...I'm saying Bryant has better pro potential. Davis plays below the rim at 6'10

Bryant may be more ready for a spot on Real Housewives of Atlanta than he is the NBA. They way Crean used him last year was borderline criminal. I hope he stays. He could be a dominant college post under a real coach.

possibly or no PG may have hurt him also
Crean playing him 20 feet from the basket hurt him.

Davis is the better athlete, or at least is in more control of his body (and is certainly not a great athlete).

But...there's no way that he can play inside in the NBA at his height (and I think that the 6'10" listing is a crock, he's 6'8", if that). He has small forward height / length, lacks the speed and hops to overcome a size deficit, and has no shooting range.

He could be a better college player though.

Bryant has better length, better shot, but looks clumsy and confused. Hopefully CAM helps some of that, at least the confusion part.

Last edited:
No but here's how to put your mind to rest.

Go to si.com under college men's basketball and search for "NBA Draft 2017: Early Entry List." I'm looking at it right now and no IU players have signed up.

According to SI's page: "The early entry deadline is April 23, and college players have until 10 days after the draft combine (May 9-14) to withdraw from the pool."

So, we'll all soon know whether any IU players are going to meet the early entry deadline and know a few weeks later whether they will actually go forward with the draft.

This puts coaches in a bind, because the "National Letter of Intent" page (nationalletter.org) says the NLI Signing Dates run from 4-12-17 to 5-17-17. Surely, there's a better system.

Well given the way things are going for internet gurus I guess I will say they both stay. We were told Hartman was 100% gone ( false ). Crean was given time to find a soft landing (false). Donovan and his wife were in btown (false). Alford to IU was a done deal (false). You get my point.

Neither is a great athlete
They both could be bigtime college players with a chance to carve out a run in the league if they maximize their potential. I think Davis got discouraged in the middle of the year because it was obvious he's was going spend his career playing second fiddle to whichever guard wanted to hold the ball before jacking up a bad shot. He showed a nice skillset, and was almost dominant during for a couple stretchs. (at Northwestern) He could be really good in an offense designed to draw fouls and get to the line.

Reactions: mazz and BB Hoosier
Davis is the better athlete, or at least is in more control of his body (and is certainly not a great athlete).

But...there's no way that he can play inside in the NBA at his height (and I think that the 6'10" listing is a crock, he's 6'8", if that). He has small forward height / length, lacks the speed and hops to overcome a size deficit, and has no shooting range.

Bryant has better length, better shot, but looks clumsy and confused. Hopefully CAM helps some of that, at least the confusion part.
His 6'10 is legit, and he will be 7'1 before the start of the season.

Disagree 100%. Davis has better hands, moves. moves quicker and can keep his balance much better than Bryant. Also has more upside.
Bryant is more skilled and if he improves his strength could be a force. Davis has shown no versatility and based on his size he would be an in betweener in the NBA which just doesn't cut it any more.

Yeah who wouldn't be confused under Clappy. CAM will have this team playing good ball

Reactions: outside shooter
Is OG healthy enough to be a full participant in draft camps next month and to undergo full physical exams by NBA teams?

If not, then that is the biggest obstacle to him being drafted as high as he wants to be, IMO. Putting on my NBA GM hat, I'd hate to draft a guy I can't work out against similar players for health reasons.

Reactions: mazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT