ADVERTISEMENT

Officially canceled season. Well, "delayed...

th

per the CDC, as of their 8/12/2020 numbers, (which run a little behind), there have been 149,142 US covid deaths.

that said, for those 24 yrs old and under, (which would probably be age of most 5th yr seniors at graduation), there have been a total of 291 deaths.

291, total.

no doubt a tiny fraction of vehicle or gun deaths for that age group.

i know, 291 is almost as many as 149,142, but not quite. (again, 2 universes)

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

thus for purposes of this discussion, to not break things down by age is to totally discredit your entire post.

that said, to not acknowledge that virtually the same number of team members who haven't already had it will likely acquire the virus this yr regardless of whether the team plays or not, also totally discredits many of the arguments i see, as many of them seem based on the non reality that not playing will somehow make a big difference in how many acquire the virus this yr.

as to regularly testing everyone for heart complications, no covid testing resources are necessary for those i wouldn't think.

if we're going to be testing the players, seems testing them for heart conditions should be where the emphasis is, as if there is a danger it's there, not in those under 25 getting covid due to playing football.

all the kids who haven't already are going to get covid, and far far better when young than when older. (literally the younger the better).

if heart conditions are the real issue, then focus the testing there.

if i'm off on this, i don't mind anyone correcting me.
I don't think you're off on your understanding of the death rates or number of deaths between different demographic groups.

I do think you're off on the analysis. And that's only because while age is a big predictor in whether someone gets seriously ill or dies, they're still people. And while a large majority of deaths are 60+, there are PLENTY of 40-50 year olds spending weeks in a hospital on oxygen. They're people too.

For example, my wife teaches HS. Am I afraid of her students dropping like flies? Not particularly. Am I afraid that she or the other teachers in that 40-65 age group could either get seriously ill or die? Yes I am. Am I afraid of her being asymptomatic and bringing it home to me and me getting seriously ill or possibly dying? Yes I am.

Again, I completely understand that the odds of even a small number of D1 athletes dying from COVID are low(*footnote*). But it's not just about them, it's about all of us. And as the statistics have shown around the world, it's possible to get a handle on this thing and get back to closest we can get to "normal." What we are seeing, however, is a completely half-hearted attempt to get it under control because we so strongly want our normal lives back that we're shooting ourselves in the collective foot and prolonging the problem.

*footnote: while the odds are low, if the entirety of the NCAA season were played, some kid would die. I'm not going to choose the "one is too many" hill to die on, because that's not how statistical risk assessment works, but I surely would not want to be the college president, AD, or coach who had that happen on my watch because the PR would be devastating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
I don't think you're off on your understanding of the death rates or number of deaths between different demographic groups.

I do think you're off on the analysis. And that's only because while age is a big predictor in whether someone gets seriously ill or dies, they're still people. And while a large majority of deaths are 60+, there are PLENTY of 40-50 year olds spending weeks in a hospital on oxygen. They're people too.

For example, my wife teaches HS. Am I afraid of her students dropping like flies? Not particularly. Am I afraid that she or the other teachers in that 40-65 age group could either get seriously ill or die? Yes I am. Am I afraid of her being asymptomatic and bringing it home to me and me getting seriously ill or possibly dying? Yes I am.

Again, I completely understand that the odds of even a small number of D1 athletes dying from COVID are low(*footnote*). But it's not just about them, it's about all of us. And as the statistics have shown around the world, it's possible to get a handle on this thing and get back to closest we can get to "normal." What we are seeing, however, is a completely half-hearted attempt to get it under control because we so strongly want our normal lives back that we're shooting ourselves in the collective foot and prolonging the problem.

*footnote: while the odds are low, if the entirety of the NCAA season were played, some kid would die. I'm not going to choose the "one is too many" hill to die on, because that's not how statistical risk assessment works, but I surely would not want to be the college president, AD, or coach who had that happen on my watch because the PR would be devastating.
Once you become a perceived leader, it’s all about the PR, as seen through the eyes of your perceived minions.

I do think you're off on the analysis. And that's only because while age is a big predictor in whether someone gets seriously ill or does, they're still people. And while a large majority of deaths are 60+, there are PLENTY of 40-50 year olds spending weeks in a hospital on oxygen. They're people too.

sorry, but i've laid out my thoughts on the subject many many times now as to the 2 universes we now live in, and what i think should be our path going forward, which you've totally perverted by leaving out half of that path.

if you haven't read my thoughts in full, sorry, but i can't re tell them in full in every post.

as to your statement,

*footnote: while the odds are low, if the entirety of the NCAA season were played, some kid would die.

yes, and odds are some kid some where will anyway, if we don't play at all.

all that's relevant, is if games are played with no fans, will there be any significant difference in how many players get bit if we do play, as opposed to how many will if we don't play, and i doubt there is a significant difference either way.

i don't think the cancellation is about protecting the players, i think it's about protecting the older coaches, staff, etc.

but sorry, i think the older coaches and staff need to get out of the way for now, lets younger coaches fill in this yr for hands on, and let the olders coach virtually and in person, but from a distance of considerably more than 6 ft.

no reason coaches can't sit in the stands and coach from there using headsets to younger coaches on field.

and they don't need to physically be in the locker room with the team.

that should not be problem, and they don't need to travel with the teams to coach virtually with today's technology.

and it's a lot better than nothing at all.

same with classes.

college age kids are going to get bit, are going to test positive, and are going to games or not, classes or not.

positive tests shouldn't shut down schools, as the kids relatively aren't at risk from covid, and they're going to get bit in not that different numbers, regardless of at school or not.

they will be more at risk driving to and from school, or from alcohol, than from covid

as for teachers in k-12 school, imo older teachers 50 plus should not be in school with a class full of kids teaching at all.

that's insane, even thinking distancing and masking can help.

distancing and masks can never protect them sufficiently.

with older teachers, have them teach virtually, and have a college age student teacher be present in every class as well for discipline and to handle the things that need a physical presence.

or find a younger temp replacement for older teachers.

what the govt and society need to do, is make sure older teachers, administrators, janitors, etc, who need to sit out for now are protected 100%, and guaranteed their positions back as if they'd never sat out when things are all clear.. and that they are taken care of financially as long as they need to sit out.

this isn't rocket science, there was never any reason to think last spring things would be any different than they are now, and we have had months to hammer out the logistics, but haven't.

Reactions: vesuvius13
We HAVE to drive to live in 98% of America. Football is a GAME. There is no equivalency. Nobody needs to die for our entertainment. These are unpaid kids. This is a really embarrassing look for grown men to sacrifice our kids like they're fighting for Western Civilization...no we're just talking about playing an amateur football game against the University of Wisconsin. A game that will be forgotten by almost everyone in ten years.

We have to drive to live, but 80-90% of our driving is not required to maintain life. We don't HAVE to drive to restaurants, or parks, or ball games, or movies, or on vacations et al. All of these activities are for 'our entertainment'. We choose to take the risk. As do football players, at whatever level they are playing.

ADVERTISEMENT