ADVERTISEMENT

** Official State Park Thread**

Great thread. Taking the family (kids 3 & 1) out to McCormicks Creek this weekend camping in the pop up. Daughter is pumped and the weather looks excellent.
Great ages to get them started. The 3 year old will especially love it.

When my son was 4, we dug a snow cave in a big drift in the backyard one Saturday afternoon after a big storm the day before. We'd been camping a few weeks before and he wanted to sleep in the cave that night. Who was I to say No? We put down a tarp inside and put our sleeping pads and bags on it. Slept like logs inside it and he still talks about it 20+ years later.

side note:

did you play your gig? and if so how did it go?
Ha! Thanks for reminder that I have the attention span of a squirrel. I kind of got distracted with the weather and camping and trails and haven't given this en devour the attention it deserves. The dream to play an open mic is still at play, I just have to get that eye of the tiger desire back. I'm thinking the dead of winter will be the cure.

Reactions: dr.jb
Ha! Thanks for reminder that I have the attention span of a squirrel. I kind of got distracted with the weather and camping and trails and haven't given this en devour the attention it deserves. The dream to play an open mic is still at play, I just have to get that eye of the tiger desire back. I'm thinking the dead of winter will be the cure.
good luck

i'm sure you'll kill it

Reactions: hookyIU1990
We're tent camping this weekend at Chain O Lakes. Supposed to rain all day and night Friday and Saturday is a high of 53 and cloudy, low of 44.

The fact that we're actually going to do this is proof we love our children. If not for the itinerary of the parks plan for Halloween, this is something Ms. Warison would not even ever consider.

I have little doubt this will be miserable. Awesome.

We'll file this under - the things that sound great in theory, but in practice, what were we thinking?

We're tent camping this weekend at Chain O Lakes. Supposed to rain all day and night Friday and Saturday is a high of 53 and cloudy, low of 44.

The fact that we're actually going to do this is proof we love our children. If not for the itinerary of the parks plan for Halloween, this is something Ms. Warison would not even ever consider.

We'll file this under - the things that sound great in theory, but in practice, what were we thinking?
Take a tarp with you and string it up so you have a place to sit out the rain besides a cramped tent or your vehicle.

We're headed back to Yellowwood this weekend for what might be the last of the '21 family camping, assuming the forecast holds and it's not raining beyond Saturday morning.

UIENPns.png

Reactions: Warison

Man, misery loves company? To each his own, but I'd bail on any car/tent camping trip with young kids and that much rain. Unless maybe there is just a ton to do there. The saying I'd think about: disgression is the better part of valor! Nothing worse than wet tent camping... except cold wet tent camping.

Reactions: Warison
Take a tarp with you and string it up so you have a place to sit out the rain besides a cramped tent or your vehicle.

We're headed back to Yellowwood this weekend for what might be the last of the '21 family camping, assuming the forecast holds and it's not raining beyond Saturday morning.

UIENPns.png

I have an Ozark Instant Tent. It's 20 x 10. It is ridiculously embarrassingly large. You can walk around in it. Shake a sheet out. I also have several tarps. I have a stove for constant hot chocolates and soups. And I have a power station of an electric blanket.

I'm bringing my cast iron skillet and my entire motivation in this is the ribeyes I'm bringing for dinner.

The boy will just run till they drop. Ms Warison will freeze and be in despair on how we will survive the night.

I'll drink through that part.

Man, misery loves company? To each his own, but I'd bail on any car/tent camping trip with young kids and that much rain. Unless maybe there is just a ton to do there. The saying I'd think about: disgression is the better part of valor! Nothing worse than wet tent camping... except cold wet tent camping.
There actually is a ton to do. Scavenger hunts and haunted trails and they close the campground to any vehicles for like 2 hours for campground trick or treating. Like I said, this is proof we love them.

We live!

The event exceeding exceptions. It was Halloween on steroids. It made neighborhood trick or treating look starter kit. The ENTIRE campground goes all out. Of course I went with my standard hot dog custom topped as Buckethead. I'd post picts if I could work up the effort.

We were rained out Friday, so we just went up very early Saturday morning and camped. It was glorious.

I can see this becoming a traditon for the Warison family.

We live!

The event exceeding exceptions. It was Halloween on steroids. It made neighborhood trick or treating look starter kit. The ENTIRE campground goes all out. Of course I went with my standard hot dog custom topped as Buckethead. I'd post picts if I could work up the effort.

We were rained out Friday, so we just went up very early Saturday morning and camped. It was glorious.

I can see this becoming a traditon for the Warison family.

Great ages to get them started. The 3 year old will especially love it.

When my son was 4, we dug a snow cave in a big drift in the backyard one Saturday afternoon after a big storm the day before. We'd been camping a few weeks before and he wanted to sleep in the cave that night. Who was I to say No? We put down a tarp inside and put our sleeping pads and bags on it. Slept like logs inside it and he still talks about it 20+ years later.
I adopted a Russian child in early 2000s. He was born near the Arctic circle. He was very happy when the snow was deep enough to allow him to create an igloo type of house. He would often sleep in it. As for me, no way. Genetic or cultural?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT