ADVERTISEMENT

** Official State Park Thread**

Warison

Hall of Famer
Dec 13, 2010
Simply put, I love state parks. I live in Indiana, so I love Indiana State Parks. Like, I love everything about them. I love driving through the gates. I love getting the map, even though I already have 10 of them. I love planning an adventure. I have 2 boys, 8 and 5. This is prime time, that I won't get back.

Over the last several years we have spent enormous amounts of time at Pokagon and Chain O Lakes. The boys aren't quite kayakers yet, so Pokagon becomes our default park. We are tent campers. Our favorite site is 240 and 244. These sites are on a cul-de-sac, so it's hours of scooter time for the boys. It's really just magical. If neither of those site are open we get site 230. Its on a small hill, private for a state park.

Chain O lakes sites 108 - 100 at the end of the cul-de-sac are awesome. Very little traffic.

I'm going to Shades State Park in October, never been. I can't wait. And for Halloween weekend we're going back to Chain O Lakes. I guess they have a Halloween themed weekend.

Anyway, tell me about your state park adventures. Favorite trails, favorite sites, favorite parks ... etc.

FY1: 7 weekends until November 1.

Whitewater State Park for cabin camping, Starve Hollow State Recreation Area for tent camping when the kids were little, and Clifty Falls State Park for lodge stays (great deals off season with 2 nights for the price of 1).

Reactions: Warison
I can't like your post enough. I'd add State Forests and SRAs to the list.

I spent 5 weekends in April and May at Green Sullivan at the campground on Wampler Lake and kayak fishing all the strip pits. We're headed to Brown County SP this weekend, since Turkey Run is full. We always try to get a site in Raccoon Ridge. It's hard to beat an evening around the fire and a night in the tent when the air is cool.

HNF is our favorite weekend backpacking getaway.
XXMTrzM.jpg

Even back in the day when I was at IU, I loved going to McCormick's Creek. We had a bus running every 45 minutes doing round trips from Teter for a huge party during Little 5 week when I was a freshman.

Have you checked out Acres Land Trust, and their properties, acreslandtrust.org . These are simple and family friendly (and free). How about Mongo River?
The Acres properties we keep going back to: Bicentennial Woods, Hathaway Preserve, Hanging Rock, Kokiwanee.

The Indiana Dunes State park in Chesterton is an amazing summer destination.

If you can complete the 3 Dune Challenge. You are in good shape, love hiking and will have seen some of the best views in the Midwest.

I spent 5 weekends in April and May at Green Sullivan at the campground on Wampler Lake and kayak fishing all the strip pits. We're headed to Brown County SP this weekend, since Turkey Run is full. We always try to get a site in Raccoon Ridge. It's hard to beat an evening around the fire and a night in the tent when the air is cool.

XXMTrzM.jpg

Even back in the day when I was at IU, I loved going to McCormick's Creek. We had a bus running every 45 minutes doing round trips from Teter for a huge party during Little 5 week when I was a freshman.
Ah! Yes. So wonderful. I was a student 98 - 2002. We'd do McCormick's back when you could spelunk through Wolf Cave. That was my previous life though (Before wife and kids). We'd often get out there and notice nobody brought any food. Such good times. Haven't been to McCormick's or Brown County in 15 years. Sad.

Anybody know about Buckners and Trapdoor? We'd have NSFW weekends out there. Like the Wild West. But we'd actually take trash bags and try to clean out those caves. Impossible. Have no idea if they still allow people in those caves. Again, that was my previous life.

I did not get to HNF enough, I know that. When you move to Northern Indiana, it's like Southern Indiana is a mystical land that you just can't get back too. Ugh. Miss it badly.

The Indiana Dunes State park in Chesterton is an amazing summer destination.

If you can complete the 3 Dune Challenge. You are in good shape, love hiking and will have seen some of the best views in the Midwest.

Pretty sure the 3 Dune Challenge would destroy me. I'm psyching up for the Hells Point Challenge this early winter at Pokagon.

Reactions: 76-1 and mrhighlife
Have you checked out Acres Land Trust, and their properties, acreslandtrust.org . These are simple and family friendly (and free). How about Mongo River?
The Acres properties we keep going back to: Bicentennial Woods, Hathaway Preserve, Hanging Rock, Kokiwanee.
Yes, I subscribed to their Newsletter. I talk about joining hikes but never do.

Grew up camping at Lincoln State Park. Fishing sucked except one year when the crappie spawned underneath the rental boats. Got swimmers ear once. But I loved it. Have cabins too if you want. State and federal Lincoln-related stuff. About 10 minutes from Holiday World if you like roller coasters. A few nice hiking trails.

I worked at Lieber State Park and Cataract Falls for a few summers so I have to have those on my list.

Currently in California, Point Lobos just south of Monterey might be one of my favorite places ever. Otherwise, Big Basin Redwoods, Henry Cowell Redwoods, and The Forest of Nisene Marks are a few of my favorite state parks out here.

When I lived in Colorado, we spent a lot of time hiking in Cheyenne Mountain and Mueller State Parks. Cheyenne is great for any time hiking and Mueller is good during the fall when the Aspens change color.

Off-topic but we're heading to Yosemite this Thursday. This will be my first visit so I'm pretty excited.

XXMTrzM.jpg

I used to visit McCormick's Creek growing up and when I lived in Bloomington. We used to take our dogs hiking out there pretty often. I forgot about Turkey Run and taking trips there to go canoeing.

When I worked at Lieber, our crew made a trip up to Raccoon Lake to help clean up after a bad storm. That's my Raccoon Lake story.

I have visited, camped or at least hiked a section of a trail at:
Spring Mill
Brown County
HNF
McCormicks
Paynetown
Morgan Monroe - 10 mile trail !!
Raccoon Lake
Turkey Run
Pokagon
Chain o Lakes.

And I need to go back to all of them again.

stayed at mccormick's for the game this weekend (and avoided the traffic)

potato creek has nice bike trails
ouabache has bison and a bike trail into bluffton
tippecanoe for the float down the river into winamac

I worked at Lieber State Park and Cataract Falls for a few summers so I have to have those on my list.

Currently in California, Point Lobos just south of Monterey might be one of my favorite places ever. Otherwise, Big Basin Redwoods, Henry Cowell Redwoods, and The Forest of Nisene Marks are a few of my favorite state parks out here.

When I lived in Colorado, we spent a lot of time hiking in Cheyenne Mountain and Mueller State Parks. Cheyenne is great for any time hiking and Mueller is good during the fall when the Aspens change color.

Off-topic but we're heading to Yosemite this Thursday. This will be my first visit so I'm pretty excited.
Point Lobos is very cool. Point Reyes Lakeshore was another spot that I remember going to that we really enjoyed. Nothing like hiking along the Pacific shoreline.

Enjoy Yosemite. My first trip to it was an October overnight during the week and it seemed like we had the whole valley to ourselves.

we're looking at point lobos for out trip to carmel/monterey next summer

Reactions: hookyIU1990

I know it sounds corny, but there is an entrance to Yosemite that takes you through a tunnel, and then you bust out into full view of the Valley. It worth it.

PS - I was shocked by the amount of car traffic on the main roads in to the park. Be patient.

Reactions: kkott and 76-1
I know it sounds corny, but there is an entrance to Yosemite that takes you through a tunnel, and then you bust out into full view of the Valley. It worth it.

PS - I was shocked by the amount of car traffic on the main roads in to the park. Be patient.
I have to say that I'm looking forward to that corny moment. After doing some google mapping, that's the way we'll be coming in our first day (yay!).

Definitely not looking forward to the traffic, given that's one reason to get away from the city.

Edit: The tunnel reminded me of driving into Zion.

Last edited:
My fat butt would probably never make it through the corkscrew in Buckner's now. It's been 30 years since I was in either one. I used to love going.
The first 90 feet of Buckner’s would really terrifying me at my current age. There’s no turning around. No way. A+ for knowing Buckners. That’s awesome.

Pretty sure the 3 Dune Challenge would destroy me. I'm psyching up for the Hells Point Challenge this early winter at Pokagon.
It's not easy. They have several other trails at the park though. Easy to hard. Incredible views. There is no where else even remotely like it in Indiana. Watching the sunset into Lake Michigan on top of one of the dunes is a must.

Simply put, I love state parks. I live in Indiana, so I love Indiana State Parks. Like, I love everything about them. I love driving through the gates. I love getting the map, even though I already have 10 of them. I love planning an adventure. I have 2 boys, 8 and 5. This is prime time, that I won't get back.

Over the last several years we have spent enormous amounts of time at Pokagon and Chain O Lakes. The boys aren't quite kayakers yet, so Pokagon becomes our default park. We are tent campers. Our favorite site is 240 and 244. These sites are on a cul-de-sac, so it's hours of scooter time for the boys. It's really just magical. If neither of those site are open we get site 230. Its on a small hill, private for a state park.

Chain O lakes sites 108 - 100 at the end of the cul-de-sac are awesome. Very little traffic.

I'm going to Shades State Park in October, never been. I can't wait. And for Halloween weekend we're going back to Chain O Lakes. I guess they have a Halloween themed weekend.

Anyway, tell me about your state park adventures. Favorite trails, favorite sites, favorite parks ... etc.

You've never been to Indiana Dunes State Park? It is a jewel. Camp sites can be hard to get, but you can reserve spots in advance, which is recommended.

Reactions: Warison and 76-1
You've never been to Indiana Dunes State Park? It is a jewel. Camp sites can be hard to get, but you can reserve spots in advance, which is recommended.
I have not been to Indiana Dunes, but I have been a bit north of there to Warren Dunes State Park in MIchigan. We went last year in the off-season. Like being on another planet. It seemed like we had the entire Lake Michigan shoreline to ourselves.

I have not been to Indiana Dunes, but I have been a bit north of there to Warren Dunes State Park in MIchigan. We went last year in the off-season. Like being on another planet. It seemed like we had the entire Lake Michigan shoreline to ourselves.
Warren Dunes is also awesome. I love the Harbor Country area in Michigan.

Reactions: 76-1

You're like Leslie Knope. Parks Parks Parks Parks. lol I really enjoyed Spring Mill in Mitchell growing up. My wife's family would do family reunions at Turkey Run which is Southwest of Crawfordsville. It was a great time.

Falls of the Ohio SP
Charlestown SP
Spring Mill SP
Brown County SP
Lincoln Boyhood
Clark Forestry
O’bannon Woods
Clifty Falls SP

I’ve only been to 3…which I know is insane. Spring Mill, Brown County, and Turkey Run. I hike about 5 miles every Friday morning from August to May at Spring Mill. My home park for sure.
I like Spring Mill a lot...just something about it...the Gus Grissom museum is also very good. We've stayed at the lodge there, and enjoyed it.

Brown Co., Turkey Run, McCormick's Creek all very good. I like Mounds and Ft Ben. Harrison more than I thought I would.....see the old converted officer's homes around Ft. Ben.

Be sure to do the refig. slide at Pokagon.

For some reason Clifty Creek and Versailles don't do much for me, although I love Madison and the Hanover campus.

Two little town parks that are very much worth visiting are Muscatatuck Park in North Vernon and Pendleton Falls Park (check out the historical marker concerning the murdered NAs).

Concerning the Falls of the Ohio.....wait until late Summer or Fall to visit for the low water level....also, being so urban, it is distressing to me to see all the trash in the water. People are such pigs.

Mrs. hooky was under the weather last weekend, so we didn't go to BC. We're going to try Yellowwood SF this weekend. I've never been before, so wondering if any of you have and how crowded it might be? No reserved sites, all first come first serve. Leaving Friday afternoon. Anything I should be aware of?

Reactions: Warison
Mrs. hooky was under the weather last weekend, so we didn't go to BC. We're going to try Yellowwood SF this weekend. I've never been before, so wondering if any of you have and how crowded it might be? No reserved sites, all first come first serve. Leaving Friday afternoon. Anything I should be aware of?
Spent the night there in October 1987, after IU beat Ohio State.

I recall nothing.

My wife and I used to hike at Yellowwood about once a month on the weekends and it was never crowded. That was about 4-5 years ago so things may have changed. Definitely was a calm, peaceful area.

Also, I recall two areas on one side of lake that may require 4WD/AWD if there’s recent rain. Just short dips in the road with potential water.

My wife and I used to hike at Yellowwood about once a month on the weekends and it was never crowded. That was about 4-5 years ago so things may have changed. Definitely was a calm, peaceful area.

Also, I recall two areas on one side of lake that may require 4WD/AWD if there’s recent rain. Just short dips in the road with potential water.
Thanks for this feedback. I called the Yellowwood office this morning. They said it hasn't been crowded all year and there wouldn't be any issues getting a nice site. 50's the next 2 nights and just a little rain in the forecast tonight and tomorrow morning. I can't wait to get out of here this afternoon!

Thanks for this feedback. I called the Yellowwood office this morning. They said it hasn't been crowded all year and there wouldn't be any issues getting a nice site. 50's the next 2 nights and just a little rain in the forecast tonight and tomorrow morning. I can't wait to get out of here this afternoon!

ummm RYDER CUP

• Haha
Reactions: kkott and 76-1
Camped for the weekend at, I hesitate to say, sheeee..., Shades State Park. Don't tell anyone about this place.

I actually don't have words for how awesome it was. Don't tell anyone about this place.

The trails, oh my.. 10. I rate them a 10. For split seconds it was like I was in southern Kentucky/Tennessee.

The campgrounds were nice and primitive. Hardly any RV's, mostly tent campers.

I could probably spend a week there and Turkey Run, which I did not go to. Matter of time.

But I'm not telling anyone about Shades. What a hidden gem.

Camped for the weekend at, I hesitate to say, sheeee..., Shades State Park. Don't tell anyone about this place.

I actually don't have words for how awesome it was. Don't tell anyone about this place.

The trails, oh my.. 10. I rate them a 10. For split seconds it was like I was in southern Kentucky/Tennessee.

The campgrounds were nice and primitive. Hardly any RV's, mostly tent campers.

I could probably spend a week there and Turkey Run, which I did not go to. Matter of time.

But I'm not telling anyone about Shades. What a hidden gem.
You are correct about Shades . It's awesome. What really gets me about it is how different the terrain is as compared to where I live, and I'm just 20 minutes away.

I did the Hells Point Challenge at Pokagon yesterday. Beautiful day. Glad I did it. I'm going to have to do this once a year, keep me honest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT